Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-Atlantic winter 2017-18 snowfall contest

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All ready to go! We have 52 entries.

LOL @ some of the last minute entries and edits- you all start your shopping on Christmas Eve don’t you?

@BTRWx's Thanks Giving you were not entered since you only listed one airport, sorry.

Once we have our first accumulating snow I’ll be back with a leaderboard update. The current leader will always be listed in the thread’s subheading.

Meant to do this last night and got side tracked. Anyway for fun because I know it doesn't count, here are mine.

BWI: 32"
DCA: 27"
IAD:34"
RIC: 22"

Tiebreaker (SBY): 21"

Went with climo and then added 12. Looks as if we will have a somewhat active southern jet at least for a portion of the winter so the 12 accounts for a MEC/SEC or two or even possibly a KU thrown into the mix.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Meant to do this last night and got side tracked. Anyway for fun because I know it doesn't count, here are mine.

BWI: 32"
DCA: 27"
IAD:34"
RIC: 22"

Tiebreaker (SBY): 21"

Went with climo and then added 12. Looks as if we will have a somewhat active southern jet at least for a portion of the winter so the 12 accounts for a MEC/SEC or two or even possibly a KU thrown into the mix.

Ditto here, not sure how I managed to not enter.....

BWI: 27.4

DCA: 19.9

IAD: 28.8

RIC: 19.5

TB: 17.3

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I think next year I'm just gonna start allowing late entries with a penalty- every day you're late I'm adding 10 points to your snow departure. :lol:

If you had a career in public education, you'd know that all deadlines are merely suggestions.  That applies to students and teachers. 

41 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If you had a career in public education, you'd know that all deadlines are merely suggestions.  That applies to students and teachers. 

Hey! I used to get dropped a letter grade every day my papers were late.

They should have argued I didn't specify midnight in which particular time zone so they were confused- that would've worked!

I should probably just let them in since they'll both lose anyway, but WinterWxLuvr might blow his top. :lol:

28 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Hey! I used to get dropped a letter grade every day my papers were late.

They should have argued I didn't specify midnight in which particular time zone so they were confused- that would've worked!

I should probably just let them in since they'll both lose anyway, but WinterWxLuvr might blow his top. :lol:

Yeah, I heard that Reaper dude was someone you didn't want to mess around with.

1 minute ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

You’re confused- you're thinking of WxWatcher007. Panic Room grim reaper dude. Very nice guy. I’m talking about WinterWxLuvr- old curmudgeon in a Vikings Helmet. Lol

Guess I need to learn how to read. Could have sworn you had posted double 0 seven. Doesn't change the fact that that reaper dude is one bad a**. :)

Alright, I let @showmethesnow and @wxdude64 in, since they were only a few hours late. So that's all 54 people in.

If anyone's curious:

-The lowest forecast belongs to WinterWxLuvr and the highest belongs to GATECH (with his 95/96 pick).

-If all 54 forecasts are averaged, you get:

BWI: 22.6

DCA: 15.5

IAD: 24.9

RIC: 11.1

That's slightly above climo for BWI, IAD and RIC, and almost right on the dot for climo at DCA.

I'll be back after the first accumulating snow. :snowing:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just updating our snowfall contest in the temperature forecast thread (main forum) and noticed that DCA had taken 0.5" off their Dec 9th report (was 2.0" and is now 1.5"). There were also some small amounts at stations since the above report on Friday, so here's the latest totals:

DCA: 1.7

IAD: 4.2

BWI: 3.8

RIC: 3.1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Roger Smith said:

I was just updating our snowfall contest in the temperature forecast thread (main forum) and noticed that DCA had taken 0.5" off their Dec 9th report (was 2.0" and is now 1.5"). ...

Someday, pilots will be required to get wx reports from IAD and BWI before landing at National. Would be safer than trusting DCA.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived