Mid-Atlantic winter 2017-18 snowfall contest

PrinceFrederickWx

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Updated totals:

BWI: 15.2

DCA: 7.8

IAD: 11.9

RIC: 12.4

Our new leader is @olafminesaw way out in front with a departure of 6.6. 

Battle for second place is very close:

Eskimo Joe: 12.9

RodneyS: 13.1

GramaxRefugee: 13.1

WxUSAF: 13.2

MillvilleWx: 13.2

Great job by olafminesaw to be within 3 inches at each location.  Richmond did many of us in; however, I calculate that Eskimo Joe and GramaxRefugee are still in the running if we get another decent snowstorm that gives IAD 4-5 inches and DCA a couple of inches. GramaxRefugee also needs at least a tiny amount at BWI, which would knock out Eskimo Joe if it exceeds 0.3 inches.  While each is facing long odds, here is an interesting historical note:  Exactly 94 years before yesterday's 4.1/4.5 inch snowfalls at DCA/BWI, respectively, DC received its all-time record amount of snow for March 21st -- 5.3 inches in 1924, with Baltimore receiving its second greatest amount of snow for that date, at 5.0 inches.  Then, just 11 days later on April 1, 1924, DC received another 5.5 inches and Baltimore received another 9.4 inches -- the largest April snowstorms in DC and Baltimore history.  So, I think GramaxRefugee is facing about the same odds that UMBC did against UVA, and Eskimo Joe is facing about the same odds as Loyola is of winning this year's NCAA basketball championship.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@KingJWx

Yes, you are the closest for IAD. I should probably also note that @MillvilleWx currently has BWI exactly right- the only person in the contest who currently has an exact forecast for any given airport.

@RodneyS

Interesting- I knew about 4/1/1924 but I had no idea there was also a significant event in late March before that too. Talk about a back-loaded winter lol

I don't call the winner until mid-April anyway, for that reason.

2 hours ago, UIWWildthing said:

Hey since this snowstorm happened in spring, shouldn't I be the winner? :) After all it's the WINTER snowfall contest (I'm kidding!)

I should have said SEASONAL instead of WINTER and midnight means the next day and I didn't specify which time zone and my deadline wasn't firm etc. ... y'all try to find any loophole you can to win! Half of you must be lawyers lol

Wow, I've never won anything of this nature before (nor is it a sure thing I might add). I think my thinking was that a warm/wet, cold/dry is what DC does best, and with the impressive cold modeled going into December Richmond had better odds of cashing in. Of course I mostly credit luck, and the fact that so many were optimistic (for good reason).

24 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

@RodneyS

Interesting- I knew about 4/1/1924 but I had no idea there was also a significant event in late March before that too. Talk about a back-loaded winter lol

I don't call the winner until mid-April anyway, for that reason.

FYI, the ultimate back-loaded snow season in this area was 1941-42.  Entering Palm Sunday weekend 1942, DC had received 2.1 inches and Baltimore 4.3 inches that season.  Then beginning in the late evening of Saturday, March 28, 1942, DC received 11.5 inches (all measurable snow fell on March 29th), and Baltimore 22.0 inches!  See http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-03-27/features/9903270345_1_snow-evening-sun-flurries

42 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

The PINS has BWI at 4.7

edit: nevermind. It looks like the 15.2 total used the 4.7. I think...

P.S. I've never had my name mentioned so many times in one post. (Not sure that's good or not, heh)

I used the daily climate report (CLI) posted at 1:35am, which listed the snowfall as 4.5 and the seasonal total as 15.2. If anything fell after midnight it would be posted in today's climate report. They always seem to adjust the numbers a bit later on anyway, so I'll be checking and posting any updates. Either way, it's not going to cause a lead change (unless maybe they decide that it never snowed in Richmond at all lol).

Edit: Actually that 4.7 you mentioned is including the 0.2" on 3/20 + the 4.5" on 3/21, so the 15.2 is correct.

On 11/21/2017 at 11:14 AM, Cobalt said:

Just kidding.

BWI: 24.6"

DCA: 18.8"

IAD: 26.9"

RIC: 10.4"

Tiebreaker (SBY) 7.8"

Eh, not horrendous. Near spot on in Richmond. A flush hit from Jan 4th would've probably put these numbers at the other 3 airports in range (although that's asking for a lot). Lesson learned: never go bullish in Ninas. 

25 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Think I did very well with BWI and DCA. Stupid RIC and IAD throwing me off.

You, MillvilleWx, and I each did well at BWI and DCA, and need more snow at IAD, which is still possible.  Unfortunately, we each were much too conservative at RIC, which is why we are out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Just FYI, since you all look for loopholes on everything- with this current pattern, all snow that occurs in April, May and June will count in this year’s total. July is debatable lol

I always saw it as July 1st- June 30th. 

5 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Yes, June 30 is how NWS does it so same here then! Lol

In all seriousness, I wonder what the latest theoretical time is that IAD could ever get accumulating snow. Too small of a sample to know I would think.

Depends what assumptions you make, but thus far IAD has never had measurable snow later than April 12th, when it received an inch in 1973.  However, it did not exist in 1898, when Baltimore received a tenth of an inch, and DC received half an inch, on April 28th. 

I would say the latest date that DCA could see measurable snow is perhaps May 2 or 3, for IAD and BWI perhaps May 5 to 8. Toronto had measurable snow on May 25, 1961. A few degrees of latitude further north it can snow into mid-June. So that gives you some idea of the timing vs latitude question involved. The freak snowfall of June 5-6 1816 left measurable snow close to sea level in New England. 

This weekend thingie looks capable of adding 3" at DCA and 5" at IAD, maybe 4-5 at BWI also. Would not expect much if any at RIC. 

About seven of these might give me a chance but I only see two. ;)

So... it's April 9, models are showing spring arriving, and even if we somehow get a minor event, it would never be enough for a lead change. Therefore, I think we're good to call it. @olafminesaw is the winner- congratulations! Your E-trophy has been attached.

Final totals:

BWI: 15.4"

DCA: 7.8"

IAD: 11.9"

RIC: 12.4"

I will be back next November with the contest again. As I've said before, I've been trying to think of a way to get the western areas of the subforum involved, but cannot find any location where NWS keeps snow data. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply here or PM me, thanks.

Trophy 2017-18.png

You COULD throw Roanoke into the mix.......

I know that is pretty far south, but only 50 miles from me and I know we have 2-3 others down this way, Disc comes to mind immediately, there is a guy in Lynchburg/Forest area that throws out a comment once in a while and Buddy 1987 down in Salem.

EDIT- oh, and congrats olafminesaw!

10 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

You COULD throw Roanoke into the mix.......

I know that is pretty far south, but only 50 miles from me and I know we have 2-3 others down this way, Disc comes to mind immediately, there is a guy in Lynchburg/Forest area that throws out a comment once in a while and Buddy 1987 down in Salem.

EDIT- oh, and congrats olafminesaw!

Yes, Roanoke was one I had thought of (since it is an official climate location), but I wasn't sure if that was considered out-of-bounds to this subforum. We do seem to have quite a few people from around your area posting here though- what town do you live in?

13 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Yes, Roanoke was one I had thought of (since it is an official climate location), but I wasn't sure if that was considered out-of-bounds to this subforum. We do seem to have quite a few people from around your area posting here though- what town do you live in?

I'm close to Covington.

Archived