Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discobs Thread

George BM

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I will be out there tomorrow dealing with all the leaves. I will probably go on a morning hike at tuckahoe first. Love cold weather hiking. Been waiting for this.

Going to go up to camp to close up shop so i will probably hit the leaves again. Spent 3/4 hours last week raking and I am sure it probably needs to be done again. Love all the trees, okay its called a forest, that surround our site but the fall can be a real headache with the amount of leaves that fall.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Trying to approximate a responsible homeowner, had furnace serviced in mid-October to ready it for the winter. Clean bill of health.

Fast forward to Wednesday - it stops working.

41 degrees outside. 55 degrees inside. Service supposed to be here this AM.

Gas, oil, or electric?

If it's gas then the first thing to check is the igniter. Cheap part and easy to install on most models. Mine went out last winter and my furnace is less than 5 years old. $20 part, 10 minute install, and good as new. Service call would have been $200 minimum. 

35 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We have a home warranty, so I am out $100 for the service call in any event - I confess to being simply lost at even basic stuff like what you have described...

Understandable. I personally don't "enjoy" fixing appliances and such but after 15 years in my house I've learned to take care of a lot of stuff because service is expensive. I never had a warranty. They weren't much of a thing back in 02. 

All the igniter is is a coil that glows red to ignite the burners in a gas furnace. My unit tipped me off when it would cycle to fire up. I would hear the fan blow then the gas open but no flame and it would shut down and try again. A quick google of the symptom and model # and I found many folks with the same problem. Then i watched a youtube vid on how to do the work and off I went. lol. I profess no mechanical background other than being cheap, having a good set of tools, and no fear of taking stuff apart. lol

This is excellent jebwalk weather. The only thing missing is battleship gray skies and 25 mph stiff northeast winds with a steady rain. For full effect, you should wear a t-shirt.

Though it is not really all that chilly, we will top out in the low 50s. Mountains are where its at, 20s and low 30s for HIGHS!!!! Tonight they fall to 10 degrees.

Twas partly cloudy and breezy this am in upper 30's, stark contrast to the clouds/fog/drizzle of past several mornings. Looks like we may get into the teens by early tomorrow morning! :) My 22 from 1996 should fall, but my records only go back to 1979. The local CO-Op's records that go back longer of 9-15 degrees for the date for either 1973 or 1957 should stand.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived