• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter Thread

George BM

Great info Mattie. Never had any idea Of the complexity. I have to purchase some more gingerbread today before it runs out. I found it at a local Food Lion. Somehow they carry a great assortment of beer. You would never know. I also bought the standard GBS bourbon barrel. I was going to crack that last night but didn't want to be thrown off by the lingering gingerbread taste. 

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Great info Mattie. Never had any idea Of the complexity. I have to purchase some more gingerbread today before it runs out. I found it at a local Food Lion. Somehow they carry a great assortment of beer. You would never know. I also bought the standard GBS bourbon barrel. I was going to crack that last night but didn't want to be thrown off by the lingering gingerbread taste. 

Grab any Bourbon Barrel GBS you can get. Drink one this year, and try to save another for next year, if you can. That beer is incredible when fresh, but it’s even better when it has a little age on it.

14 hours ago, mattie g said:

Thanksgiving dinner prep starts tomorrow. Making cranberry sauce and getting the scalloped potatoes into the Pyrex dish. Turkey is in the fridge and we’re heading to the store tomorrow for all the other fixins!

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying my first Backwoods Bastard of the season this evening...

Thanksgiving dessert prep started this morning when I picked up a jewish apple cake at the Westminster farmer's market.

Impressive dissertation Mattie...  brings back memories of living in Fkt, Germany where the largest brewery in the world outside the US is located (the 5 largest are in the US on a volume scale).  That's the Henninger Brewery in Sachsenhausen.  Not that this is about volume, but the visceral experience of the finer results of what can be done with water, barley and hops.  I lived about a mile as a crow flies from the Henninger compound during my first of two assignments Fkt.  When the wind blew just right in the Summer (all the windows are open cause nobody has AC) you could just about get drunk from the aroma.  And of course, with the Reinheitsgebot the purity of the experience was fantastic. 

While I don't mind a good IPA, in general, the worse German beer is better than the best American beer - at least wrt the big name brands.  Haven't drank a "normal" American beer in 25+ years since my first round in Fkt in the late 80's.  Couldn't stomach what the US was and/or is producing (again, speaking about the big brands).  With the explosion of IPAs in the US over the last 10-15 years the options now are far more enticing.  However...  I'll still go for a Dinkelacker as one of my personal "big brand" favorites. 

The singularly best beer I ever had of any kind was from a microbrewery at a monastery along the Danube, Kloster Weltenburg.  It is in competition with another abby as the oldest monastic brewery in the world.  Stopped by there on a week long bike tour of the Danube with a friend in 1990.  Was a hot summer day and the pils they served was amazing.  Will never forget it...

The Redskins doing what they do best.. going from what looked like a playoff caliber team in 3 quarters to becoming a total joke in the last 3 minutes. So many things went against them that the game seemed scripted, even though the Skins put it on themselves. To be honest I'd rather not watch the Redskins win their last 6 just to play against these teams again in the playoffs..

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

The Redskins doing what they do best.. going from what looked like a playoff caliber team in 3 quarters to becoming a total joke in the last 3 minutes. So many things went against them that the game seemed scripted, even though the Skins put it on themselves. To be honest I'd rather not watch the Redskins win their last 6 just to play against these teams again in the playoffs..

"And we're up 31-16 with under 3 left in regulation." :axe:

Meanwhile the Ravens managed to dominate against a backup QB in GB. Their offense is putrid. Defense is an enigma- of their 5 wins, 3 are shutouts, but they still tend to fold down the stretch in close games. All that said, they are 5-5 in a really mediocre AFC, outside of NE and Pittsburgh.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Saints are a beast though. Maybe the best ream in football.

The playoffs this year might be the best in recent memory . Rams, Vikings, Eagles, Seahawks. All really good teams. I'm glad we might have a decent Superbowl shakeup this year team-wise. If I were to guess this far out, It'll either be Saints vs Vikings or Vikings vs Eagles in the NFC Championship. Would be legendary to see Brees vs Brady in the Superbowl

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived