Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Snow mixing in with the rain here in Laramie, WY.  At least I get to see snow once this winter.

Snowing like gangbusters now.  Non-paved surfaces whitened and visibility under 1/2 mile.

Have growing concern about driving up over the hills on my way back to Denver in the next hour...

Snowing like gangbusters now.  Non-paved surfaces whitened and visibility under 1/2 mile.

Have growing concern about driving up over the hills on my way back to Denver in the next hour...

Safe travels. Just arrived back in El Paso. 77F here with clear skies. Life a bit different down here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanksgiving dinner prep starts tomorrow. Making cranberry sauce and getting the scalloped potatoes into the Pyrex dish. Turkey is in the fridge and we’re heading to the store tomorrow for all the other fixins!

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying my first Backwoods Bastard of the season this evening...

Matty, I'm about to crack open a Hardywood Gingerbread stout. Grabbed one earlier at grocery store. I saw you post earlier maybe yesterday that you would save a few for a few years. Wouldn't it be skunked out by then? Please educate me. What are the benefits of holding on to that for so long?

Edit: Wow!! What a fantastic tasting beer. I'm gonna grab some more tomorrow. 

Midwest getting waterboarded by yet ANOTHER MASSIVE RAINSTORM!!!!

I am not surprised.

We will get a weak cold front Sat night. We will be damned lucky to get a nanometer of rain from it, then next week will be seasonable and DRY.

The Midwest will see much much above normal rainfall, then much much above normal snowfall. 

This is to be expected from a weak La Nina. We of course, will average drier than usual. I will cry for a little rain but will be denied over and over and over again.

8 hours ago, Stormpc said:

Matty, I'm about to crack open a Hardywood Gingerbread stout. Grabbed one earlier at grocery store. I saw you post earlier maybe yesterday that you would save a few for a few years. Wouldn't it be skunked out by then? Please educate me. What are the benefits of holding on to that for so long?

Edit: Wow!! What a fantastic tasting beer. I'm gonna grab some more tomorrow. 

GBS is the local beer-geek’s sign that the Holiday Season is upon us. It a fantastic beer. I’m glad you picked up some! GBS has become much more readily available over the last few years, though many of the GBS variants (six of them this year, I think) are still tough to find unless you’re hunting for them.

Beer - and more specifically high-alcohol, minimally hopped beer- that’s packaged properly won’t skunk*. Over time, it’ll eventually show signs of being oxidized, which would result in muted, cardboard-like flavors. A well-packaged big stout will last for five years or more, although beers with flavoring adjuncts (ingredients that aren’t grains, hops, water, or yeast) like GBS will tend to fall off in a couple years.

That said, barrel-aged beers will often get better with time, although barrel-aged adjunct beers (like Bourbon Barrel GBS) will lose some of the adjunct aspect over a couple years, but the barrel will result in the beer taking on really interesting (usually better) flavors  over those few years.

* Skunking is the result of a photochemical reaction between hops and sunlight. Brown bottles help to forestall this reaction, but it can only work for so long. The “distinctive” flavor of Corona is from the fact that it’s highly skunked! Warm or extended storage doesn’t cause skunking, nor does going from cold to warm to cold, etc. Warm storage can cause hops in beers like IPAs to lose their punch, though.

You may well have opened a can of worms with a seemingly innocuous post asking a beer geek to explain some of the science of making beer! :lol:

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

GBS is the local beer-geek’s sign that the Holiday Season is upon us. It a fantastic beer. I’m glad you picked up some! GBS has become much more readily available over the last few years, though many of the GBS variants (six of them this year, I think) are still tough to find unless you’re hunting for them.

Beer - and more specifically high-alcohol, minimally hopped beer- that’s packaged properly won’t skunk*. Over time, it’ll eventually show signs of being oxidized, which would result in muted, cardboard-like flavors. A well-packaged big stout will last for five years or more, although beers with flavoring adjuncts (ingredients that aren’t grains, hops, water, or yeast) like GBS will tend to fall off in a couple years.

That said, barrel-aged beers will often get better with time, although barrel-aged adjunct beers (like Bourbon Barrel GBS) will lose some of the adjunct aspect over a couple years, but the barrel will result in the beer taking on really interesting (usually better) flavors  over those few years.

* Skunking is the result of a photochemical reaction between hops and sunlight. Brown bottles help to forestall this reaction, but it can only work for so long. The “distinctive” flavor of Corona is from the fact that it’s highly skunked! Warm or extended storage doesn’t cause skunking, nor does going from cold to warm to cold, etc. Warm storage can cause hops in beers like IPAs to lose their punch, though.

You may well have opened a can of worms with a seemingly innocuous post asking a beer geek to explain some of the science of making beer! :lol:

Learn something new everyday. Guess I can quite foisting my older beer on my father-in-law now. :D

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived