• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter Thread

George BM

I had my roof replaced in August 2011.  They also added a ridge vent at that time since I didn't have it originally.  I went with the GAF Ultra HD which is a heavy duty shingle that should last a lifetime for me (50 year warranty on paper).  I got it in a gorgeous dark red color they call Patriot Red.  Supposedly it can withstand winds up to 130 mph.  A local well regarded family owned roofing company (Thomas Roofing) did the work.  Their pricing was very reasonable and the workers just seemed like good people to me.  Looks brand new to me to this day no color fading that I can see and no loose shingles.   One thing about getting it done in the summer is there is low chance of all day rains causing delays but of course there is a greater chance of a popup shower later in the day.  In summer the roofers like to get an early start.  I recall being awakened at the crack of dawn by the sound of men walking across my roof.  It was still dark outside for the most part.  So with that early start they can usually get done whatever they need to do before any popup summer shower would typically occur.   I agree with the other remarks about getting drip edging and ice/water shields installed too.   Plus they need to do new flashing around vent pipes/chimney.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There goes the Midwest getting yet another satisfying soaking rain, a rain which WILL miss the Mid Atlantic entirely.

We wont get a single drop from it. Not one!

In a La Nina fall and winter, the mid atlantic ends up much drier than normal.

That life giving rain will soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak and soak the Midwest then guess who gets to enjoy all that fresh rain next?

Wait for it........

New England!!!!

Later this winter, it will be the Midwest and New England who will get snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow after snow, while the mid atlantic will be pretty much dry. We'll get cold at times, but most of the precip will be well north of us.

We are going to hear a lot about the North Trend this winter, and the Midwest and New England will be absolutely exhausted of digging out of dozens of devastating snowstorms by late June 2018.

Washington DC and northern Virginia are going to be FEET below normal in rainfall by Spring 2018 which will logically lead us right into one of the most hellish springs and summers on record, since records began to be kept. 2018 as a whole will set new drought records in the Mid Atlantic. It will also be the hottest year on record for the Mid Atlantic. DC will reach 110 degrees in mid July in 2018. The overnight low will be in the low 90s.

Anyone got a good recommendation for a PWS for a townhouse with HOA restrictions (i.e., I can’t put anything big on the roof)? I looked in the general board but most of the PWS postings there are really old.

My (cheap) PWS broke last season, and I didn’t replace it because there was a reliable Wxbug just down the street. This season, though, it appears all the Wxbugs in my area have shut down — the default now is in Alexandria inside the Beltway — so it’s time to replace...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christmas lights will be going up the day after Thanksgiving, but will likely be bookended by a search for some Bourbon County Brand Stout (and variants) that same day. Good thing my company gives us Thanksgiving Friday off, as it aligns with my priorities fairly nicely.

I'm so hoping for some snow to top the Christmas lights this year. Such a beautiful sight, and one that really warms the heart! It's been a while...

15 hours ago, Kingstonian said:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a PWS for a townhouse with HOA restrictions (i.e., I can’t put anything big on the roof)? I looked in the general board but most of the PWS postings there are really old.

My (cheap) PWS broke last season, and I didn’t replace it because there was a reliable Wxbug just down the street. This season, though, it appears all the Wxbugs in my area have shut down — the default now is in Alexandria inside the Beltway — so it’s time to replace...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was looking at this from Sam's Club this weekend.  Didn't end up making the purchase because I didn't feel like putting it on the roof, and my backyard is small and has trees.  No really good spot for me.  Either way, this seems to be the most complete one I've seen for only $70 bucks.  It comes with a pole. 

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/professional-ws-remote-monitoring/prod21391576.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

Christmas lights will be going up the day after Thanksgiving, but will likely be bookended by a search for some Bourbon County Brand Stout (and variants) that same day. Good thing my company gives us Thanksgiving Friday off, as it aligns with my priorities fairly nicely.

I'm so hoping for some snow to top the Christmas lights this year. Such a beautiful sight, and one that really warms the heart! It's been a while...

You need to do what I did a couple of years ago.  Just leave the lights up until it snows!  This is from the late January 2016 blizzard and ended up being our Christmas card last year!

IMG_0164-1.JPG.abcf7a45836fdc252d65a68697c8d9c3.JPG

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am thinking if there’s a 2-4 inch swath into central PA i would go just to see flakes.

Yeah, maybe up towards Altoona.

My plans are locked in- I will be in Reisterstown at my sisters, eating a lot and drinking craft beer and some wine, and I wont care too much about snow lol.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived