Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter Thread

George BM

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Imperial came out in December last year, I believe. I dinstictly remember pouring some motor oil one early afternoon during one of my days off around Christmas last year.

Here’s a New England IPA I kegged last Sunday andnpoured when I got home from work today. The lighting doesn’t really do it justice:

4D8803C3-F403-4223-BF00-F782901EB21E.thumb.jpeg.1ae9d3bda665c110baf5ae1d94a7cbeb.jpeg

Well done, sir!! I'll drink to that!!

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again, everyone!  Like many others, coming out of the summertime hibernation, though I've occasionally dropped in and have been following some of the winter discussion now that we're well into fall.

(I'll have to go back to my regular avatar icon, after the Indians embarrassed themselves in the playoffs, and the Cavs aren't exactly doing much better so far...and don't even mention the Browns.  So much for "defending the Land" this year, hahaha, oh well!:lol:)

ETA:  Some damn fine looking beers, Mattie and NW Baltimore!

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Well done, sir!! I'll drink to that!!

Thanks! I’m pretty excited by it.

It’s just shy of 7% with about equal measure of Galaxy, Mosaic, and Amarillo hops. Even though I used nearly 1lb of hops in it, it’s not a super hop bomb, but it’s lightly fruity and really easy drinking!

16 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Thanks! I’m pretty excited by it.

It’s just shy of 7% with about equal measure of Galaxy, Mosaic, and Amarillo hops. Even though I used nearly 1lb of hops in it, it’s not a super hop bomb, but it’s lightly fruity and really easy drinking!

That sounds perfect. I'm lately steering clear of the super hoppy brews. I recently brewed a malty German alt, but went overboard with the melanoidin malt, so it's a recipe that I need to tweak. Also recently brewed the pumpkin ale but this year used real pumpkins, which seems to have made it a different brew. Very good but real pumpkin can handle more spice than I usually put in, so I've got a cinnamon stick soaking in the keg.

I need to get started on the oyster stout I did last winter. That was really good.

50 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That sounds perfect. I'm lately steering clear of the super hoppy brews. I recently brewed a malty German alt, but went overboard with the melanoidin malt, so it's a recipe that I need to tweak. Also recently brewed the pumpkin ale but this year used real pumpkins, which seems to have made it a different brew. Very good but real pumpkin can handle more spice than I usually put in, so I've got a cinnamon stick soaking in the keg.

I need to get started on the oyster stout I did last winter. That was really good.

Nice. I can see melanoidin malt maybe getting out of hand, but I do love a good alt. And you adddd a stick of cinnamon to the keg for the pumpkin ale? That sounds crazy! :lol:

11 hours ago, pedlar mills said:

As soon as they got in the "streak" I knew the post season was toast. No way they could go through that stress and play that good without a slump following. Oh well always next year they are due!

Ha, maybe some truth to that (I assume you're responding to my post earlier)!  They may have over-extended themselves with the whole streak excitement while at the same time chasing Houston for the best record in the AL.  I would have been happy if they clinched the 2nd best AL record and gone from there.  Honestly, I was more worried about Cleveland playing the Yankees in the 1st round compared to the Sox (actually thought they had a better shot to advance against Boston!)...Yankees were very dangerous.  Beyond that, I was perhaps more aggravated at the Indians' level of play vs. NYY than I was upset they lost.  With few exceptions, they couldn't hit, swung at everything, made 7 errors in the last two games, and their ace (Kluber) got hammered twice.  Though to be fair, I half wonder if Kluber honestly wasn't 100% when the post season arrived, that was very unusual.

But yes...maybe next year!!  Now I sound like a Cubs' fan of old! :P

7 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Dam, that looks good. How does it compare to Guinness?

You didn't ask me, but I'll comment.

There is no comparison. Two completely different beers in pretty much every way except the color and the fact that there are roasted grains in them. Guinness is dry, light, and really quite sessionable at a little over 4% ABV. Founders Imperial Stout is thick, chewy, and needs to be nursed to completion. And at over 10%, you're better off taking your time with it anyways!

The character pretty much any quality imperial stout will change as it sits and warms in the glass. And sitting for a while means they lose a little carbonation, which helps that transformation along.

11 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

OK, I'll admit it....I turned on Christmas music in my car thanks to this weather. I'll be sick of it by Thanksgiving, but it feels like Christmas out there now!  :santa:

Someone's ALREADY playing Christmas music?!?! I thought it was bad enough when a couple stations went 'all in' day after Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas music, just not for over an entire month!

4 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Someone's ALREADY playing Christmas music?!?! I thought it was bad enough when a couple stations went 'all in' day after Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas music, just not for over an entire month!

No, no stations. It's worse than that. I have Christmas music on my flash drive that plugs into the music/entertainment center in the car, and I'm playing it!!!!

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

No, no stations. It's worse than that. I have Christmas music on my flash drive that plugs into the music/entertainment center in the car, and I'm playing it!!!!

Well, least you can pick and choose when to listen like that, better than flipping on your fav radio station to realize you've lost rock/country/jazz or whatever you enjoy until some time after Christmas.

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I didn't think you were the enemy in the #WaronThanksgiving, Mitch.  Now I know better.  

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

You didn't ask me, but I'll comment.

There is no comparison. Two completely different beers in pretty much every way except the color and the fact that there are roasted grains in them. Guinness is dry, light, and really quite sessionable at a little over 4% ABV. Founders Imperial Stout is thick, chewy, and needs to be nursed to completion. And at over 10%, you're better off taking your time with it anyways!

The character pretty much any quality imperial stout will change as it sits and warms in the glass. And sitting for a while means they lose a little carbonation, which helps that transformation along.

I love my Guinness but the Founders sounds interesting. Might have to go out this weekend and see if I can pick some up to try.

11 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Dam, that looks good. How does it compare to Guinness?

Sorry, Show. I saw this early this morning and ran out the door before responding. Mattie explained it better than I could anyway, but they are two completely different brews. The imperial stout should be served in 8 oz bottles because it's a lot of beer. Perfect for sharing, though if you're looking to buy it, I think you'll have to wait a few more weeks because it's only available in winter. But if you're in the area, stop by. I've got one left in the fridge.

Personally, I think I like the brew Cape was talking about last night better, the Founders Breakfast Stout. And I also like the Dirty Bastard scotch ale. Both are available now.

31 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Sorry, Show. I saw this early this morning and ran out the door before responding. Mattie explained it better than I could anyway, but they are two completely different brews. The imperial stout should be served in 8 oz bottles because it's a lot of beer. Perfect for sharing, though if you're looking to buy it, I think you'll have to wait a few more weeks because it's only available in winter. But if you're in the area, stop by. I've got one left in the fridge.

Personally, I think I like the brew Cape was talking about last night better, the Founders Breakfast Stout. And I also like the Dirty Bastard scotch ale. Both are available now.

Breakfast stout? Isn't that the one with oysters?

ETA: Or was that with spam or something weird like that? :) 

Lol. Here's the Breakfast Stout.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/breakfast-stout/

You might have been thinking of this one by Dogfish Head brewed with scrapple.

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/beer-breakfast

And my favorite Oyster Stout is this one (other than the one that I brew ;)).

http://flyingdogbrewery.com/pearl-necklace-oyster-stout-now-year-round/

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

I love my Guinness but the Founders sounds interesting. Might have to go out this weekend and see if I can pick some up to try.

Guinness is nice. It has the velvety nitrogen thing going on. But honestly, it has no real flavor lol. And low abv. You should expand your horizons and try some big high gravity stouts. Founders is one of my favorites- it hits the right notes(big coffee and dark chocolate), and not too hoppy. I actually prefer bigger ones overall- the Imperials with 10%+ abv and a tad hoppy.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Breakfast stout? Isn't that the one with oysters?

ETA: Or was that with spam or something weird like that? :) 

Oyster stouts are actually brewed with oysters, so there is a subtle salty, "meaty" flavor in the background.

The oddest one that is similar to an oyster stout is made with scrapple. DogfishHead makes it. Its different, but pretty good imo. That is their Breakfast Stout.

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Damn that sounds really good.

I am starting off with a Flying Dog Brewhouse Rarity- Sunflower Pilsner. Pretty good!

I've been to Flying Dog a couple times this year and have never had that. I'll give it a try the next time I'm up there. And the next time my gf and I make it down to Rehoboth I'll let you know to maybe meet up for a beer or two.

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Oyster stouts are actually brewed with oysters, so there is a subtle salty, "meaty" flavor in the background.

The oddest one that is similar to an oyster stout is made with scrapple. DogfishHead makes it. Its different, but pretty good imo. That is their Breakfast Stout.

Scrapple, that is what I was thinking about. Not sure I would want to try it but the oyster i would be game.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived