Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Terrible bye week.  Philly, LA, and NO all win blowouts.  At least Seattle lost, but I was kind of hoping the Skins would just implode after a loss.  Maybe the Packers and Lions can tie tonight.

I think in the long run we would be better off with the Lions winning.  I like the notion of the Packers being two losses behind.

MD 1862 December 19 2017 1:21PM EST

Currently an extremely potent shortwave trough is pivoting around the base of the deep longwave trough with an associated cold front. A line of severe thunderstorms currently along the cold front in central West Virginia stretching through Southwestern Virginia, into North Carolina and up through southwestern Pennsylvania has a history of causing widespread wind damage and is moving swiftly eastward at around 60kts. This will move east of the Appalachian Mountains and into the Mid-Atlantic piedmont region over the next couple of hours. Surface temperatures east of the mountains have gotten up into the middle 40’s w/ dewpoints around 30F/lower 30’s with sunshine allowing for diurnal heating following morning precip. Soundings indicate that 500mb temperatures will fall to near -45C near the leading edge of the surface cold front w/ mid-level lapse rates exceeding 9.5C/km leading to MLcape AOA 1000J/kg w/ LI’s of -6 to -9. Given the moderate instability along w/ extreme forcing and an EBWD of 70-80kts, the line of convection will likely become particularly fierce, especially as they get east of the mountain ranges. Bows/LEWPS will likely be the main mode with this line. Given the swift forward motion in excess 60kts and extremely steep low-level lapse rates, widespread damaging winds will accompany this convection. Scattered significantly severe wind gusts are likely, particularly with bowing segments that develop. Hail/graupel is highly likely given the very cold atmosphere though it should not be particularly large. A tornado or two cannot be ruled out. This convection will move through the Mid-Atlantic urban corridor between 20-23z. An upgrade to a categorical high risk for severe wind in the mid-Atlantic urban corridor appears warranted for the 20z update.

20z December 19, 2017 IAD Sounding

5a00fcc8405a8_Dec192017severesquall.thumb.png.5949521b199151c42f97646f7fdc6f5d.png

Virginia Radar Reflectivity Image: 3:19PM EST December 19, 2017

5a00fdac077e5_Dec192017eventradar.thumb.png.8ef3b9af5a5f659a26e5f7b9b55167b1.png

Hey guys,

So glad to be back for the winter! Here's to another great season! Can't say I am not a little worried though. Will be spending the majority of winter in College Park. Ruh Roh :( . Can't wait to see Bob Chill and all the Moco crew posting about 2"+ hour rates in their backyard while I sleet here. Oh well. Someone's gotta win! 

Let's make this a winter remember eh? It can't be worse than last year.

LET'S GO! 

7 hours ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Hey guys,

So glad to be back for the winter! Here's to another great season! Can't say I am not a little worried though. Will be spending the majority of winter in College Park. Ruh Roh :( . Can't wait to see Bob Chill and all the Moco crew posting about 2"+ hour rates in their backyard while I sleet here. Oh well. Someone's gotta win! 

Let's make this a winter remember eh? It can't be worse than last year.

LET'S GO! 

Checking in for winter too!  Hopefully a better winter this year here (and out west in Garrett County!)

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

You must have had that one aging. I dont think the Imperial is available until around February?

Either way, I am jealous!

I didn't buy it, so it must have gotten here via one of our parties. So, yeah, it's possible it's been in there since last December when we do our annual Christmas party.

And it's seriously like motor oil.

IMG_0348.thumb.JPG.0fcfa2ebd33050f216cf5821e7624adc.JPG

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

You must have had that one aging. I dont think the Imperial is available until around February?

Either way, I am jealous!

Imperial came out in December last year, I believe. I dinstictly remember pouring some motor oil one early afternoon during one of my days off around Christmas last year.

Here’s a New England IPA I kegged last Sunday and poured when I got home from work today. Only the second beer I’ve ever put into my keezer. The lighting doesn’t really do it justice:

4D8803C3-F403-4223-BF00-F782901EB21E.thumb.jpeg.1ae9d3bda665c110baf5ae1d94a7cbeb.jpeg

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived