Weathernoob335
November Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Very nice.

When I get a house someday I'd love to get a bunch of maple trees for my backyard (I know they're not pictured above).

They give off good fall color every year it seems. 

Thanks. I have some maples here and there, but mostly oak, and some hickory. I have at least 3 varieties of oaks. One of them holds the leaves into winter. Its nice having the variety I guess, but man it's just perpetual leaf droppage from late October into December, which translates to work on the weekends lol.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Very nice.

When I get a house someday I'd love to get a bunch of maple trees for my backyard (I know they're not pictured above).

They give off good fall color every year it seems. 

Maples can be among the most colorful.  Miss seeing them in Ohio where I grew up.  Especially hard maples.  Have some soft maples in our front yard, but not the same.  But if you you're interested in growing grass, its best to enjoy your neighbor's maples.  Can be very difficult to grow a thick sod under maples.  They suck all the nutrients out of the soil.  Even more so than poplars, which are dominate in the WMA.  Our back yard faces a 17 acre woods and it's a sea of bright yellow and orange now with all the poplars at peak color. 

51 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

@RDM thanks. I'd be entirely new to growing anything, let alone trees and grass. I think I'd want to dot the edge of my property with trees that have nice color during the fall, but I could also see myself putting in one or two trees to give a fall feel. 

Honestly, I'm ready to settle down. I'm probably (hopefully) in a place in my career where I can take the next leap. Wish the gf were there... 

007 - Good luck with that.  A balance to everything is well advised, be it landscaping, careers or....   Maybe your gf will take a peek here and get the hint.  If she doesn't already know, the quality of your posts and contributions to this forum should speak volumes about your potential contributions to her and a future.  I've retired once already (30 yrs in the USG Intel field - most of it oconus) and am on my second career now.  Was fortunate to find a wonderful woman 20 years ago who somehow saw me fit worthy of her companionship in life.  She doesn't understand our affliction with the weather, but tolerates my sleepless tendencies when the forum gets active with a potential MECS, HECS or BECS.  Any of us who've found someone so tolerant of our intolerable habit is a definite keeper. 

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Just finished blowing/mulching leaves and mowed.

The new lawn at about 10 weeks. Looks pretty good and the moles have not managed to ruin it yet.

IMG_6938.jpg.04609ee0875add2f40ce6862ec0d3d16.jpg

Looks impressive CAPE.  What type of grass did you sew?  With all those trees, I'm still in search of a good seed for partial to full shade.  The vivid green reminds me of my time in Afghanistan.  Once location had a strip of grass about 30' x 70' that was very deep green (an understatement).  It was good ole Kentucky Blue Grass that the locals watered every day and kept in pristine condition (won't mention what they used for fertilizer).  It was so deep green in a land where everything else is a muddled dust brown, the contrast to one's eyes was incredible.  It brought a smile to everyone's face who saw it, along with a fond memory of home where the color spectrum of daily life has more variance. 

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Looks impressive CAPE.  What type of grass did you sew?  With all those trees, I'm still in search of a good seed for partial to full shade.  The vivid green reminds me of my time in Afghanistan.  Once location had a strip of grass about 30' x 70' that was very deep green (an understatement).  It was good ole Kentucky Blue Grass that the locals watered every day and kept in pristine condition (won't mention what they used for fertilizer).  It was so deep green in a land where everything else is a muddled dust brown, the contrast to one's eyes was incredible.  It brought a smile to everyone's face who saw it, along with a fond memory of home where the color spectrum of daily life has more variance. 

It is a blend of 5 different fescues and its called Shore Supreme. Its a custom blend from a local place called Talbot Ag here on the eastern shore. I previously used Jonathan Greene Black Beauty(3 different fescues) and it was super green and did well in shade but it was terrible in direct sun during dry periods. Burned up and went to thatch every summer. Kentucky bluegrass alone wont give good results in most areas, but it is one of the 5 in the blend I am using.

59 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It is a blend of 5 different fescues and its called Shore Supreme. Its a custom blend from a local place called Talbot Ag here on the eastern shore. I previously used Jonathan Greene Black Beauty(3 different fescues) and it was super green and did well in shade but it was terrible in direct sun during dry periods. Burned up and went to thatch every summer. Kentucky bluegrass alone wont give good results in most areas, but it is one of the 5 in the blend I am using.

Love Bluegrass.  Doesn’t handle heat well, but can spread itself via rhizomes which fescue can’t do.

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Love Bluegrass.  Doesn’t handle heat well, but can spread itself via rhizomes which fescue can’t do.

Yeah its in the mix with the blend I am using, something like 8-10%. I think it was also mixed in the Black Beauty with the tall fescue. The issue around here is heat and being prone to long dry periods, and my soil is sand/silt and excessively well drained. More than a week without rain in July and my grass is in peril lol.

29 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

EURO ens are the prettiest they've looked in literal months, which admittedly isn't saying much. Can't wait to get a couple more weeks in to the season with you guys. 

If I recall, weren't you the one that said everything would look much better a week from Tuesday when we were all giving up? Well, it turned out to be true!

If I recall, weren't you the one that said everything would look much better a week from Tuesday when we were all giving up? Well, it turned out to be true!

Wish that was me, but it wasn't. Don't know enough to bother to guess that far ahead. I've always been a supporter of an average season this year though, mainly because it's the safest guess.

8 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Wish that was me, but it wasn't. Don't know enough to bother to guess that far ahead. I've always been a supporter of an average season this year though, mainly because it's the safest guess.

Well I mean you're not wrong. There's really nothing too special about this winter. Nothing insanely unique. If I were posting a winter outlook I would go for normal sn + temperatures as well

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What a game and comeback by Washington. 

Incredible. The o line is decimated. Zero run game and no pass protection. I told my wife I believe in miracles right when the skins got the ball for their final drive. Now I believe we'll have a real nao this winter. 

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

That's gotta be one of the best Redskins games I've seen in a while. Winning against Seattle is tough. Winning in Seattle is tougher. Winning in Seattle with the amount of injured players they have. Amazing

It wasnt pretty but an amazing show of grit and heart on the D. Cousins finally closed out a last minute drive for the win. That's prob his worst stat. I feel sorry for him because he has to do it all with no run game and no protection. 4-4 is a winning record all things considered. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived