Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s incredbily warm on the SS right now. I was just standing on the LIRR platform In shorts and a tank top straight from the gym. I’m starting to get nervous we are in for a torch winter 

With the near record SST's and high dewpoints, even the South Shore is able to get 70's on a southerly flow in early November.

Temp was hovering around 74-75 on the SSP. No complaints at all from me.

I noticed daffodils popping up out of the ground earlier, I wouldn’t be surprised if they started blooming before the cold does them in, if that even happens at the rate we’re going.

Still no frost here. The pepper, eggplant and tomato plants are in remarkably good shape for this late in the season and I'm also still getting a good crop of raspberries. Looks as if the cool shot next week might end the growing season? I'm glad we're at least extending it through the first week of November.

one of the remarkable things about this fall's warm spell is the warm SSTs and it's lack of a fall sea-breeze

I just went back in my records and found that today's high IMBY of 72F is the only time since I moved to my home here in Shirley (10/2007) that I've ever hit a high above 70 in November, mostly due to, if we had a warm spell in the past, the sea-breeze would kick in and mute the high temperature

here are my records for November maxes

2007- 66.7

2008- 64.6

2009- 64.2

2010- 62.8

2011- 65.5

2012- 64.8

2013 - 64.9

2014 - 64.5

2015 - 67.8

2016- 64.7

2017 - 72.0 (so far)

2 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Still no frost here. The pepper, eggplant and tomato plants are in remarkably good shape for this late in the season and I'm also still getting a good crop of raspberries. Looks as if the cool shot next week might end the growing season? I'm glad we're at least extending it through the first week of November.

I'm still picking figs. Grape tomatoes are still very sweet too. 

It's a scary future when we're shattering records left and right so quickly/frequently.

If things turned this warm after one strong Nino, then you can only imagine what the next ones will bring. 

18z gfs is basically a torch with a few near normal days sprinkled in. If the 2nd week chill underperforms then we should easily be <+7 by mid month. 

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's a scary future when we're shattering records left and right so quickly/frequently.

If things turned this warm after one strong Nino, then you can only imagine what the next ones will bring. 

18z gfs is basically a torch with a few near normal days sprinkled in. If the 2nd week chill underperforms then we should easily be <+7 by mid month. 

Our entire climate zone is changing. I’m dreading that first snow free winter. It’s coming just hopefully not soon. 

8 hours ago, swamplover56 said:

Sitting outside in watchung and hearing crickets on November 2nd is strange

Completely agree.  Between the crickets and Katydids, I would have thought it was the third week of August.  I still have the screens in as well Brian.  2015 I made it all the way through December with them.

Went surf fishing today in S Jersey and still catching summer fare (kingfish, spot, weakfish/sea trout). Even had a Florida pompano. Unreal. Used to fish for stripers in 3rd week of Sept when the fall run USED to begin in the 90s......then it turned into an October run after 2000......2009 or so moved to November. Now looks like December will be the month. Not liking the looks from the various LR ens for remainder of November.....AN temps BN precip.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Foliage color rapidly increasing now, should be at peak in a couple days, which is a solid week behind schedule. I think the numerous chilly nights here since mid October in concert with the dryness probably precluded a mid November peak for color. I do notice driving through NJ though that the urban corridor of NE NJ is probably about 65% changed whereas much of Monmouth is closer to 80%. The radiational cooling has a material effect.

Google photos reminded me of a hike I did with my family today two years ago and the trees still had a fair bit of leaves hanging on and the color level was similar to this year. I think there is a bit more leaf cover this year but not much.

Nice day out there right now but maybe a chance at some wetness this afternoon...?

Archived