Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Weekend Zombie Morph Storm Discobs

nw baltimore wx

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

A friend of mind made a good point about the winds. He asked me when the last time we had widespread gusts over 40mph though the region and I honestly couldn't remember. It's been a while. He said all the branches hanging by a thread and weak trees waiting to fall could do some damage. 40mph winds with leafed out trees is a lot different than bare trees in the winter also. 

We're in a pretty good spot for nw flow behind the storm. Mid level max overhead tomorrow night and everything I've seen for the last few days looks pretty good for mixing gusts down. We never do that well with southerly gales. W-NW winds probably make up over 90% of out HWAs and HWWs. It's gonna be rockin Sunday night. There will be some power outages. Not widespread or anything but this storm will leave some sort of mark on the region. I'm looking forward to the winds. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

A friend of mind made a good point about the winds. He asked me when the last time we had widespread gusts over 40mph though the region and I honestly couldn't remember. It's been a while. He said all the branches hanging by a thread and weak trees waiting to fall could do some damage. 40mph winds with leafed out trees is a lot different than bare trees in the winter also. 

We're in a pretty good spot for nw flow behind the storm. Mid level max overhead tomorrow night and everything I've seen for the last few days looks pretty good for mixing gusts down. We never do that well with southerly gales. W-NW winds probably make up over 90% of out HWAs and HWWs. It's gonna be rockin Sunday night. There will be some power outages. Not widespread or anything but this storm will leave some sort of mark on the region. I'm looking forward to the winds. 

HWA... High Wind Advisory?

3 minutes ago, George BM said:

HWA... High Wind Advisory?

I thinks it's actually just a wind advisory and not high wind advisory. I know the criteria pretty well. Advisories are sustained 31-39 or gusts from 45-58. Warnings are sustained 40+ or gusts above 58. I'm not 100% sure but that's pretty close. We should get advisory criteria no problem. Warning much less likely but possible

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I thinks it's actually just a wind advisory and not high wind advisory. I know the criteria pretty well. Advisories are sustained 31-39 or gusts from 45-58. Warnings are sustained 40+ or gusts above 58. I'm not 100% sure but that's pretty close. We should get advisory criteria no problem. Warning much less likely but possible

Gotcha.  

To answer your friend's question. The last time we had widespread wind gusts over 40 mph was probably the February 12-13th event this year. It started of as an April 2nd, 2016-like low-topped convection squall. 

23 minutes ago, George BM said:

Gotcha.  

To answer your friend's question. The last time we had widespread wind gusts over 40 mph was probably the February 12-13th event this year. It started of as an April 2nd, 2016-like low-topped convection squall. 

Yeah, that stands as my highest recorded gust in 6 years with my PWS.  I actually woke up from the wind buffeting our brick house and causing some sort of pressure differential.

Front is C R A W L I N G east, maybe 30-40 miles in last 6 hours. Last two hours the rain with it has made my neighborhood, slightly over 3/4 inch in those two hours. Temp is 55.4/54.2 and wind SSE at 7 so front NOT through here yet. Where it has passed, Beckley and Bluefield have both fell back into the 30's already as of 11 pm.

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

yea, could be kinda cool seeing the leaves flying everywhere.  i don't remember the last big wind storm here either.  big wind is not a part of the weather we do particularly well here aside from localized severe weather, but sounds like the bike/hike trails could be messy on tuesday.

Nice slug of moisture headed towards the DC area from the south. This has the classic heavy rain maker look. Hopefully we can stack up some decent rain before the big wind hits. If we're gonna have a storm we might as we enjoy some tree damage. Maximum destruction is what we're all here for. I've seen this place when red meat is thrown in :lol:

4 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Nice slug of moisture headed towards the DC area from the south. This has the classic heavy rain maker look. Hopefully we can stack up some decent rain before the big wind hits. If we're gonna have a storm we might as we enjoy some tree damage. Maximum destruction is what we're all here for. I've seen this place when red meat is thrown in :lol:

lol no thanks on the tree damage. Too many and too close to the house here. I am all in for the heavy rain though.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived