• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Weather Service ‘teetering on the brink of failure'

The 2011 and 2013 congressional sequestration cuts and the current 2017 hiring freeze has been hard on more than just NOAA and the NWS. Working fewer employees longer hours doesn't necessarily increase efficiency either. I'm not sure what this current administration has in mind or what implementations future administrator Barry Myers (if he is confirmed) will do to fix these issues, but I imagine it won't involve an increase in federal funding. I have read some comments about offices being closed and other offices being expanded to fill funding gaps; however, when you do this in mass, increasing station coverage, the quality of the products may degrade and suffer. I don't know or have all the answers aside from adequate funding. But I imagine anything is better than privatization. I hope Myers doesn't try to angle that approach, letting the service degrade, and bastardize what is left of one of our finer remaining institutions of public service to fit or meet the needs of his endgame or goal.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Unfortunately, a may take a poorly forecasted catastrophe before the government will start prioritzing the weather in the budget. 

In a normal USA, sure. But in this kakistocracy? I have no faith in that happening based on the events in Puerto Rico and the Congressional slapfights over Sandy/Harvey relief. 

Archived