• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

Pretty wild storm being modeled right now on Sunday with the potential for significant hydrology issues and strong winds depending on the low track. Some of the questions to be resolved include figuring out the interaction between the tropical low racing north and the developing storm off the east coast. 

The op ECMWF is most concerning for coastal Maine with a 960mb low slingshotting into York County with hurricane force winds (and likely a devastating storm surge) near Portland. While that's unlikely to verify it shows how dynamic the storm is.

After the rain this week seeing big rain totals definitely raises the SOS signal. Huge swaths of the area in maxed out QPF M-Climate off the GEFS.

naefs_2017102600_ne_mcliqpf_12-h_SFC_102.png

ecm_mslp_uv850_east_5.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect and concise overview... 

This will ( I suspect ) be a great learning kit evolution/event for folks -  

I was mentioning in the other threads that I think this system has some chance to do what a lot fail to do, which is actually bring the wind goods on the wrap around isallobaric restoring.

But agreed - and that's only one facet.  This system could impact for a few different methods/reasons. 

I was just looking at the 0Z Euro.   963mb over Portland.  Hurricane-force gusts along the coast.   Very impressive after months of boring weather.  Got to get these leaves off the trees fast or could be some real power/damage issues...

The only thing missing is a real cold air mass to bring some heavy snow to places west of where ever the center passes...

20 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Wonder with the ground being saturated from this current storm that winds may do more uprooting of trees than normal.

Over to your west in the hudsonvalley, the fall foliage is running late this year thus resulting in the trees having more leaves. And asCTRain mentioned, rain in advance will soften things up. 

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It seems totally possible to me. 

It sure does.  I know there are folks that want a big wind event....but I think the possibility of big winds for alot of the area is just not realistic.  S Coast and SE Coasts sure....but unless this thing really bombs out, and takes a great track(West of CT) the winds aren't going to be a big deal for most people.  Rain...well that's another story.  If the Euro at 2:00 pm shows a tucked bomb...then we have a classic battle ensuing.   Hey, it's something to watch and track so let the fun begin.

Archived