Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power still out here in the out country area of North Andover.  If it stays out until tomorrow, it ties with the record.  The telephone pole down the road is still across the road so I don't hold that much hope for today.   

Monday morning there was a tree down in the driveway but it missed everything except for other trees.  Most roads into work had trees down to assorted degrees or were closed completely.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The 90 on the Cape seems a little suspicious to me. 

Apparently its supposed to be a reliable site. But yeah, I'm always suspicious of obs that are way out of line with stations nearby. It's possible though that it was a localized thing where it got a nice little ripple of convection or whatnot that allowed it to mix down. But someone said it was running high the entire event...which means it probably wouldn't be a localized gust that mixed down...they were just consistently getting stronger winds than everyone else.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Apparently its supposed to be a reliable site. But yeah, I'm always suspicious of obs that are way out of line with stations nearby. It's possible though that it was a localized thing where it got a nice little ripple of convection or whatnot that allowed it to mix down. But someone said it was running high the entire event...which means it probably wouldn't be a localized gust that mixed down...they were just consistently getting stronger winds than everyone else.

Yeah it's one of those sniff test things. But as you said....it perhaps was just a renegade burst of winds which is certainly possible. Hell something like that could have occurred in other areas too. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think I was the one that said it seemed to be running high...it's strange to see a CWOP station at the head of the pack, but if it is sited properly with great exposure all around it can report winds as good as ASOS. This is the person's data from the past 1+ yrs on wunderground. Looks like they stopped sending their obs there this past May.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ME8978#history/s20160101/e20171101/mcustom

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think I was the one that said it seemed to be running high...it's strange to see a CWOP station at the head of the pack, but if it is sited properly with great exposure all around it can report winds as good as ASOS. This is the person's data from the past 1+ yrs on wunderground. Looks like they stopped sending their obs there this past May.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ME8978#history/s20160101/e20171101/mcustom

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it's one of those sniff test things. But as you said....it perhaps was just a renegade burst of winds which is certainly possible. Hell something like that could have occurred in other areas too. 

Yeah...I mean, we did see it at Taunton...their ASOS reported that rogue 58 knots when everyone else kind of close to them was in the high 40s to near 50. There was definitely some pockets. But the 93mph gust is literally like 25-30 knots more than any ASOS station on the Cape...a little different than only being 10 knots more. You can plausibly explain it....more exposed site and more ideal without any buildings, etc, etc...then add on that they got into a rogue region of better mixing which adds another 10+ knots on top of their already higher baseline due to better siting....so you can definitely explain, but I think it is smart to scrutinize such readings. As someone who has done QC for weather data professionally in the past, that reading def catches the skeptical eye.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...I mean, we did see it at Taunton...their ASOS reported that rogue 58 knots when everyone else kind of close to them was in the high 40s to near 50. There was definitely some pockets. But the 93mph gust is literally like 25-30 knots more than any ASOS station on the Cape...a little different than only being 10 knots more. You can plausibly explain it....more exposed site and more ideal without any buildings, etc, etc...then add on that they got into a rogue region of better mixing which adds another 10+ knots on top of their already higher baseline due to better siting....so you can definitely explain, but I think it is smart to scrutinize such readings. As someone who has done QC for weather data professionally in the past, that reading def catches the skeptical eye.

Is it possible the difference is due to ASOS's peak/gust wind being a running 3 second average speed versus the instantaneous speed of a personal weather station?

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

Is it a Davis? Davis does it because they're using switch closures over their transmission interval. If it's an analog anemometer no such limitation or need for an interval.

Yeah it's a Davis.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/E8978

Station type/software: Davis Vantage Pro 2/Vue with Weatherlink-IP

Zooming in on the sat picture on Gladstone...

If it is mounted a bit above that tall roof of that building there could be some false acceleration of the wind up the roof from that direction since the apex appears to run SW-NE. Just throwing that out there as possible error too.

37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Zooming in on the sat picture on Gladstone...

If it is mounted a bit above that tall roof of that building there could be some false acceleration of the wind up the roof from that direction since the apex appears to run SW-NE. Just throwing that out there as possible error too.

At least it wasn’t some random 23G93 like you sometimes see with faulty mesonet obs.

It was sustained 68 when it hit the peak gust, so at least in the realm of possibility.

There was also a good pressure jump going on, from 982.4 to 984 over 13 minutes. It fits meteoroligically speaking.

Archived