Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

Back in VT and We Power.

Saw more utility trucks in Richmond/Waterbury/Stowe than I've ever seen anywhere in my life.  They are everywhere, like up to 6 trucks deep.  Some of these caravans have all sorts of ATV's and off-road vehicles...some fun toys seen on RT 2 in Waterbury heading into the woods.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

they said on WMUR news tonight that they hope to have that reopened in a week. not sure how they will accomplish that, but good luck to them!

That's actually not that hard for them to fix.  They can do that in two days.  Depends on the priority list though.  

Thats a relatively small stretch and they'll just get a couple excavators to pull it up, plus a few dump trucks of fill and a new culvert.  Then it's just a paving operation.

They can even open that before they pave it.  Just rip it up, fill it, and pack it down.  Cars can get through at 25mph on gravel until they can pave it.

My guess is that would already be reopened if it was like a localized flash flood event in the summer and that was the only thing on the work list.  But obviously resources need to go to more populated areas first.

28 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Power not back until Friday 4pm according to cmp. Sucks. Thought it was going to be tomorrow

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Damn man sorry.  

I think most of us are all set on our wind storm quota for a few years.  

The roads around here are just littered with downed trees and branches in places.  Almost like a snow plow just went through and bladed it all to the side of the road.  Be interesting to see if anyone cleans it up or if it all just sits there.

We'll need to see it to remember it ;) .

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder where in the notch this is.   Maybe near the Highlands center?

No, it's between Hart's Location and Bartlett, on the lower side of the Notch. It's a big PITA - my only way into North Conway is through Berlin or the Kanc. It would be great if they reopened in a week but I strongly doubt it. 

On our own damaged side of the world, we got our power back so we can start our cleanup work. Looks like we'll end up with 30-50K worth of damage which is less than i feared. And we're alive which is a nice bonus lol. Seeing water rise like that all around you was pretty terrifying. 

It's certainly been interested living through this after only having lived here for less than a year as a full time resident. It struck me on many fronts. People here seem very resilient. Everyone pretty much accept that we live in an extreme environment, and this is the price we pay for living in such a beautiful area. Sure, not all areas are flood prone, but one way or the other, we are all affected (and if it's not floods, there's ice storms and landslides etc etc). 

The thing that's been amazing to me is the sense of community. We've received so much support, it's incredible. We had so many hesitations as a gay couple moving to the middle of nowhere, and yet we've felt more welcomed here than anywhere I've ever lived. People rally around each other and care about each other. It's an incredible place to call home. 

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

Yup... Saw stars and the moon just to the west as it was still lightly raining.. Then the wind maxed out right around then

Not here, by far biggest gust was in extremely heavy rain. That Line near BID negatively tilted and we got smoked. Definite line of bigger damage Ledyard, North Stonington, Voluntown,  Sterling,  Moosup, Killingly curving to the West

22 minutes ago, alex said:

No, it's between Hart's Location and Bartlett, on the lower side of the Notch. It's a big PITA - my only way into North Conway is through Berlin or the Kanc. It would be great if they reopened in a week but I strongly doubt it. 

On our own damaged side of the world, we got our power back so we can start our cleanup work. Looks like we'll end up with 30-50K worth of damage which is less than i feared. And we're alive which is a nice bonus lol. Seeing water rise like that all around you was pretty terrifying. 

It's certainly been interested living through this after only having lived here for less than a year as a full time resident. It struck me on many fronts. People here seem very resilient. Everyone pretty much accept that we live in an extreme environment, and this is the price we pay for living in such a beautiful area. Sure, not all areas are flood prone, but one way or the other, we are all affected (and if it's not floods, there's ice storms and landslides etc etc). 

The thing that's been amazing to me is the sense of community. We've received so much support, it's incredible. We had so many hesitations as a gay couple moving to the middle of nowhere, and yet we've felt more welcomed here than anywhere I've ever lived. People rally around each other and care about each other. It's an incredible place to call home. 

Good luck Alex  maybe make the first floors with breakthrough walls used as storage at say 6 to 8 feet like they do down the beach. Also 3 foot berming up the edges of your lawn can initially create a path for the river to move allowing for escape

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Good luck Alex  maybe make the first floors with breakthrough walls used as storage at say 6 to 8 feet like they do down the beach. Also 3 foot berming up the edges of your lawn can initially create a path for the river to move allowing for escape

Those are actually great ideas... Thanks!

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I miss the old system

Me, too.

Here is my verification of this controversial event....once again, it was unwise of me to refer to it as "forgettable", since a number of people, albeit the minority, were significantly impacted.

Steve and others certainly made some salient points, but I support my assertions in the verification:

http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2017/11/1029-1030-major-rainwind-verification.html

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Brian how do you get Raw data and what is the wind graph number

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW5262!Westerly&last=120

Those are the same data packets that go to mesowest so I'd just look on there.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=D5262&unit=0&time=GMT&product=&year1=2017&month1=10&day1=30&hour1=9&hours=24&past=1&graph=0&order=1

Archived