Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

How do you know this? Is it on the CMP site?

Yes.  But upon further inspection it is either "assessing" or "November 4, 2017 10:00 pm" for everybody, so who knows when it'll be restored.  NBD for me as my GF on Munjoy Hill will take me in ... lol!  Lots of others are starting to hurt though.

40 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

winds.jpg

winds2.jpg

Wow at that 64 in Old Greenwich. I'm guessing they're using the measurement taken at the Tod's Point DPW building which is an ultrasonic sensor mounted about 15 ft AGL and about 50 ft from the water. Winds never felt that strong here (would have guessed topping out 45-50) and there were not many power outages. Wonder what LGA and JFK had.

Yesterday I heard that CMP expected to have 600+ out-of-state bucket trucks in the field today, alongside their 200+ in-house crews.  We were fortunate that the trees stood pretty well in S. Franklin, and got power back after only 15 hours.  However, the spruce (or hemlock - hard to tell in dim light at 55 mph) next to Rt 27 just north of Long Pond in Rome, was hanging on the phone line this AM after taking out the electric wires Monday.  Not sure how many are in the dark due only to that break.

That table of wind speeds is really impressive, as it shows several whole towns blown into Maine from NH.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yesterday I heard that CMP expected to have 600+ out-of-state bucket trucks in the field today, alongside their 200+ in-house crews.  We were fortunate that the trees stood pretty well in S. Franklin, and got power back after only 15 hours.  However, the spruce (or hemlock - hard to tell in dim light at 55 mph) next to Rt 27 just north of Long Pond in Rome, was hanging on the phone line this AM after taking out the electric wires Monday.  Not sure how many are in the dark due only to that break.

That table of wind speeds is really impressive, as it shows several whole towns blown into Maine from NH.

Saw 10 line trucks heading north from Kennebunk on 95 from D&D electric out of NY when i was on the pike last night.

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Ha!  I noticed this as well

34 minutes ago, tamarack said:

:lol:

Do we know who sent that?

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I noticed BOX missed some peak winds too. Are those manually looked at and inputted?

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It states "earlier in the event" so I assumed they missed some of the later gusts.

I think these were taken from the IRIS database, which doesn't always catch the peak gust. Especially marine points.

And it was issued at 1100 AM from what I can tell Monday morning, it should have had all the highest gusts by then.

Archived