Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

18 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

My favorite storm prep is watching people at the grocery store load up their carts with $250 of meat and frozen food right before a storm that has a good shot of causing power outages.

Load up the fridge today then toss it tomorrow. I can’t stress enough for homeowners to have a genny. Boggles my mind some just refuse to keep a $1k piece of equipment on standby because of a stubborn “once in 10 years” thinking then cry wolf when that 1 comes. If you have a family, just do it. If you live by yourself in a basement with no gf like Tip, then thats different. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I believe most utilities in the country employ far fewer linesmen than they did 20 years ago. It makes more business sense to have fewer in the area and just rely on mutual aid. A storm like Hazel or the November 1950 nor'easter would be an absolute disaster. 

Yes shareholders and their million dollar homes and Yachts demand excessive profits, let the rest of us eat cake. Ask any utility worker what is really going on. Been preaching for years when 38 hits again it's going to be anarchy,  be prepared 

Just now, macriver said:

Yep.  We lost power between 12:30 and 1 AM.  The winds were rattling the house during that timeW

1 minute ago, macriver said:

Yep.  We lost power between 12:30 and 1 AM.  The winds were rattling the house during that time.

The power never went out at my home which is unusual. Often times the power will go out during a strong storm. During Sandy the power went out during the height of the storm and by some "miracle" the power was restored in a few hours.A tree had come down on wires on a street about 2 miles from my home. My wife and I actually drove around trying to find out where the problem was . We came across the location and  we were stunned to see 2 electric crews and a tree crew on the scene and working on repairing the damage even though the storm was raging. The 'miracle " was the fantastic job the crews did in repairing the damage.

And yes the winds were rattling the windows! Not to mention moving the trees around in a violent manner. I was just waiting to hear the crashing noise of the trees coming down but luckily that did not happen.

Has the power been restored to your home?

27 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I'm not sure if that's true. Their statements didn't match their grids. It was odd.

In snowstorms it's the opposite though... the snow grids are almost always GGW. 

Posted on NWS Twitter Saturday, highest winds 34 mph BID, Kev said at the time Belk does it everytime

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes shareholders and their million dollar homes and Yachts demand excessive profits, let the rest of us eat cake. Ask any utility worker what is really going on. Been preaching for years when 38 hits again it's going to be anarchy,  be prepared 

I agree with you regarding your thoughts about a 38 type of storm hitting New England. The devastation would be immense. Hopefully such a storm never occurs during my lifetime.

23 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Load up the fridge today then toss it tomorrow. I can’t stress enough for homeowners to have a genny. Boggles my mind some just refuse to keep a $1k piece of equipment on standby because of a stubborn “once in 10 years” thinking then cry wolf when that 1 comes. If you have a family, just do it. If you live by yourself in a basement with no gf like Tip, then thats different. 

Yup, half the house wired to a transfer panel and we have a roll out, 8500w Subaru generator.  

Probably should have pulled a permit for that but we aren't selling any time soon... 

24 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The power never went out at my home which is unusual. Often times the power will go out during a strong storm. During Sandy the power went out during the height of the storm and by some "miracle" the power was restored in a few hours.A tree had come down on wires on a street about 2 miles from my home. My wife and I actually drove around trying to find out where the problem was . We came across the location and  we were stunned to see 2 electric crews and a tree crew on the scene and working on repairing the damage even though the storm was raging. The 'miracle " was the fantastic job the crews did in repairing the damage.

And yes the winds were rattling the windows! Not to mention moving the trees around in a violent manner. I was just waiting to hear the crashing noise of the trees coming down but luckily that did not happen.

Has the power been restored to your home?

Yes, came back on last night around 10:30.  So, just under 24 hours which isn't bad.  Very consistent with Dec. 08 and Oct. 11 in terms of restoration time.

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yup, half the house wired to a transfer panel and we have a roll out, 8500w Subaru generator.  

Probably should have pulled a permit for that but we aren't selling any time soon... 

Nice. What that run you? I’m in the market for one.

We bought a house in Southbury, closing next month. It’s wired for generator hookup and one of the first things, even my wife said, is to get a genny.   Electricity is a beautiful thing, people often forget how difficult it is to live without it. 

No power at least until Thursday for me in Methuen. Snapped poles and not a single crew in site. Had to go to the bar in Salem NH to get this out. Cell service is spotty as well with so many customers using the same tower. Memorable event at least for me. I'll upload more when I get power back and get nicer photos off my DSLR. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

IMG_4832.MOV

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Chances of it happening are higher than it first appears. 

It will happen again someday...but it is definitely a pretty rare storm...the track isn't so rare, but when you combine it with the intensity, it is. You probably have to go back to 1815 to find something close and even that storm probably didn't quite measure up (though we will never know for sure)

3 minutes ago, macriver said:

Yes, came back on last night around 10:30.  So, just under 24 hours which isn't bad.  Very consistent with Dec. 08 and Oct. 11 in terms of restoration time.

That's great! I think for some  people here the wait is going to be a few days. I've noticed there hasn't been a lot of progress made on the outages in Essex County. I'm sure the crews are encountering some areas that require extensive repairs.

19 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Who said doomsday.  Totally met my expectations with lots of gusts 55 to 80 with 50 sustained on the beaches .I have no idea what you expected but 4 to 5 inches of rain, mega gusts,  flash flooding,  million plus now without power. No one but you who is into weather will forget this in a week. Strongest non tropical since the Perfect storm. If this were a week later we would have heard of devastating ocean flooding but that was the only negative I see. Period 

Yea so WTF is Ray talking about anyways about cherry picking, historical etc. No one said that.

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice. What that run you? I’m in the market for one.

We bought a house in Southbury, closing next month. It’s wired for generator hookup and one of the first things, even my wife said, is to get a genny.   Electricity is a beautiful thing, people often forget how difficult it is to live without it. 

We lucked out on the Subaru, my dad found it closer to Boston at a closeout sale for just over a grand.   You should be able to get a Honda that fits your needs for 1000 or under.

4 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

No power at least until Thursday for me in Methuen. Snapped poles and not a single crew in site. Had to go to the bar in Salem NH to get this out. Cell service is spotty as well with so many customers using the same tower. Memorable event at least for me. I'll upload more when I get power back and get nicer photos off my DSLR. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

IMG_4832.MOV

Hi,

I also live in Methuen. I hope your power is restored sooner than Thursday.  Have you called National Grid to report the outage? From past experience I've found it is helpful to do so and to keep calling for updates.. If you do spot a crew in your area you can approach the crew and mention the outage. Don't be afraid to be the squeaky wheel.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It will happen again someday...but it is definitely a pretty rare storm...the track isn't so rare, but when you combine it with the intensity, it is. You probably have to go back to 1815 to find something close and even that storm probably didn't quite measure up (though we will never know for sure)

Yes. I guess if I were to lay out odds...I would say theres a 25% increase of it happening than 100yrs ago. 

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We lucked out on the Subaru, my dad found it closer to Boston at a closeout sale for just over a grand.   You should be able to get a Honda that fits your needs for 1000 or under.

I can get the Subaru sgx7550e (7500w) for around $1500. Worth the extra couple hundo imo. I havent seen a comparable Honda around that price. 

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

There's no guarantee it happens while we are all alive..but I'm sure something akin to '38 will occur by the end of the 21st century. 100 year type storm? 

Seems like we've had a few "Once in a hundred Year" type storms recently :lol: - hope we didn't blow our load..but I doubt it. 

Nobody churns the 1:100 type winter storm into 1:2 better than SEMA. 

I need to visit Barnes Hill Road in Stowe once it opens... folks keep talking about acres down like Microburst style.  

They are still just trying to open the road before they can replace the poles.  Another 2-4 days possible for power in parts of town.

10/31/2017 11:25am

Moscow Rd, Trapps Hill and Luce Hill up today, 10/31. Nebraska Valley will not be up until 11/2 or 11/3

Stowe Hollow, energizing main power line rough estimate 11/1 or 11/2, spur lines to follow.

Barnes Hill Rd – Highway Dept clearing debris so that poles can be set.

360,000 Maine residents remain without power.  Businesses that do have power and offer wifi are popular locations - went to McD's in Windham and 6 peeps with laptops and file binders were sittin' there lookin' like they just got out of bed

Tried getting into Pat's last night. Too long of a wait.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

That's great! I think for some  people here the wait is going to be a few days. I've noticed there hasn't been a lot of progress made on the outages in Essex County. I'm sure the crews are encountering some areas that require extensive repairs.

Yeah, according to National Grid outage map, they are estimating power to be restored by Thursday, 11:45 PM in other parts of Dracut.  We've always been pretty fortunate in my neighborhood for having it restored quickly.  Not sure why, but it's been the main reason why I haven't bought a generator.  Although I'm thinking I should probably stop tempting fate. :P

Archived