Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

I saw someone mention Methuen earlier. We got hit hard especially west side of town it seems. Not expecting power back until at least tomorrow. Saw a few telephone poles snapped. These huge pines broke off 10-20 feet above the ground. Strongest winds I can remember here in a long time. 

image1.JPG

Okay, this wins  "the most random guardrail placement of the day" award.

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I'm just reading these posts as an outside observer but only one of those pictures that PF posted showed trees blown over from the ground.  The other two showed trees that were snapped.  They were also pines which have their foliage on year round.

Around here I saw the same thing - snapped trees but they were also bare.

Isn't it also cherry picking data if you ignore the places that did have higher gusts and focus on the places that traditionally do better?

I think that the people in darkness will remember this event much longer than you think.

He's reaching to back up a statement about forgettable in a week. That's the crux. 

It's pretty simple.  If you live in those areas that got hit hard and never really have wind damage (parts of interior CT and then NE MA up to NH and Maine) it's going to be remembered for a long time by the public. In other areas, it likely will not be remembered.  These wind events are a dime a dozen for CC and cstl MA. The difference this time around, is the foliage and wet ground. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's pretty simple.  If you live in those areas that got hit hard and never really have wind damage (parts of interior CT and then NE MA up to NH and Maine) it's going to be remembered for a long time by the public. In other areas, it likely will not be remembered.  These wind events are a dime a dozen for CC and cstl MA. The difference this time around, is the foliage and wet ground. 

Simple as simple can be.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say all of CT gets wind damage frequently.. so this was nothing new or rare for interior CT

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

24 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Simple as simple can be.

I have been saying that exact same thing as Scott just did, yet you have liked every single post rebutting my claims.

Apparently not that simple. :lol:

All I said was for the majority it was forgettable....but it certainly isn't for those area hardest hit.

I think I'm pretty reasonable, and I never should have used the term "forgettable" because its too subjective.

Regardless of why, the system impacted a great deal of folks pretty significantly....however it did not featured widespread historic winds.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And to add to that, 50-65 on the coast even with leaves...not as big of a deal. 50-65 or perhaps stronger in the interior with tall trees not used to strong winds...disaster. 

Yes, it hit areas that aren't usually hit by wind pretty hard.

Again....I take back the forgettable term.

But for a lot of folks this was business as usual.

My commute was not longer than usual, and my power never flickered....I am in the majority, not the minority.

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The only reason I'll remember this is because I never went through a major coastal storm in New England before. But I didn't lose power and I've seen worse tree damage in the past. Not sure I'll even remember this unless someone brings up nor'easters in a conversation (I know this one isn't a nor'easter technically). The fact it was a sou'easter might make it stand out in my memory. We'll see, I guess.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, it hit areas that aren't usually hit by wind pretty hard.

Again....I take back the forgettable term.

But for a lot of folks this was business as usual.

My commute was not longer than usual, and my power never flickered....I am in the majority, not the minority.

I would like to know what and how the area from say...ern part of your town through Boxford and points north into NH got hit. Clearly there was a reason. I'm rather intrigued by this. 

Just now, WxBlue said:

The only reason I'll remember this is because I never went through a major coastal storm in New England before. But I didn't lose power and I've seen worse tree damage in the past. Not sure I'll even remember this unless someone brings up nor'easters in a conversation (I know this one isn't a nor'easter technically). The fact it was a sou'easter might make it stand out in my memory. We'll see, I guess.

You would have loved Feb 2010 when 80-90 mph winds ripped through your hood. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would like to know what and how the area from say...ern part of your town through Boxford and points north into NH got hit. Clearly there was a reason. I'm rather intrigued by this. 

I tried to argue with Steve that there was mesoscale phenomena at play, but he opted to simply interpolate extreme obs.

It doesn't work like that.....there is a reason why spots like Blue Hill were so underwhelming.

You don't assume historical in the absence of empirical data.

I drove to my GFs in Andover last night....good section of town was without power and there was a tree down in the road...I had to detour.

6 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Oh jeez. Any snow with that one?

My worst wind came in 2006 as result of a derecho. Saw 100 mph wind gusts that night.

None..lol. That was during the famous 09/10 winter that screwed us and got the Mid Atlantic and NYC area. The -NAO blocking was so intense, it caused low pressure to back into SNE and give NYC a blizzard while we got marine puke and rain thanks to onshore flow. However, a small mesolow ripped west and gave the same areas that got hit hard by this storm, the storm of their lives in terms of wind. A bit of a consolation prize. 

3 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I'm just reading these posts as an outside observer but only one of those pictures that PF posted showed trees blown over from the ground.  The other two showed trees that were snapped.  They were also pines which have their foliage on year round.

Around here I saw the same thing - snapped trees but they were also bare.

Isn't it also cherry picking data if you ignore the places that did have higher gusts and focus on the places that traditionally do better?

I think that the people in darkness will remember this event much longer than you think.

Yes, but that isn't what I did.

I lost track of how many times I said that some fairly localized areas were hit much harder than surrounding areas, such as Taunton, while other areas like Blue Hill underperformed.

You need to read more.

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

It's not a historical storm in the sense that it will be remembered 20 years later, in the annals of weather lore, but to say it will be forgettable in a couple weeks is selling it short. 

Yes, very fair post.

I should not have used the term "forgettable".

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

None..lol. That was during the famous 09/10 winter that screwed us and got the Mid Atlantic and NYC area. The -NAO blocking was so intense, it caused low pressure to back into SNE and give NYC a blizzard while we got marine puke and rain thanks to onshore flow. However, a small mesolow ripped west and gave the same areas that got hit hard by this storm, the storm of their lives in terms of wind. A bit of a consolation prize. 

Back in good ol' days when we had -NAO pattern to favor snow in the south haha. Wow, sounds like a nasty one! We had a good deal of damage from 50-60 mph gusts around Dover so I can only imagine what 80-90 mph would do.

59 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think also based upon what I've seen ... the wind did bust in the interior, but, ...I don't think (more specifically) it busted for the usual reason having to do with BL limitations/mixing...inversion and all that jazz.   It looks to me like the axis of the jet core was modeled wrongly  - a subtlety I don't think is getting much focus. 

Could be wrong - just the way it looks ... As though it verified a tad E of plans... which may be lost and/or confused in the fact that littorals and coastal zones are always more exposed/prone to wind impacts?  

As a point of muse ... I don't think we could have run 70+ kt sustained wind through that low of an altitude, even in the interior, and just get 22 kt surface wind puffs out of it ..that's the first possible hint.  We didn't have THAT much inversion in the Worcester Hills. It was a like a perfect combination to really polarize the results here;  BL resistance, combining with a jet that verified slightly E where it mixes better anyway, and you end up with a super steep decline in physical presentation (to put it nicely...) of the event.  

More personally ... I literally said in my head before bed that night ... god I hope this misses to my east.  My reasons for that sentiment are because my home is utterly and purely electrical.  There is no other anything.  No power means nothing.. no heat. no hot water... no lights. Nothing. I just when faced with that reality, one tends to grow up a little ?

Archived