Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

My drive from Holliston to Quincy was pretty lackluster for damage except a very small pocket near Dover which had a lot more larger branches down...there definitely must have been some gravity waves or convective elements which created the inconsistency in damage. It's probably also the only way to explain TAN gusting higher than MQE.

Captured, much like a tropical banding feature   rise fall couplets

Screenshot_20171029-234016.png

Screenshot_20171029-233934.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Captured, much like a tropical banding feature   rise fall couplets

Screenshot_20171029-234016.png

Screenshot_20171029-233934.png

When that band on that radar grab which was just tickling s Tolland county cane thru here between 12:30-1:15.. that was when things went nuts around here. Many ripping gusts, snaps and transformers blowing. Then at about 1:15.. it went quiet 

51 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Max gust was 47 mph here, Had more to do with leaves still on trees and the fact of saturated ground and wind direction like some of us mentioned yesterday would be the main culprit to the outages, I've seen bigger winds in many Nor' easter's over the years.

Not here look at OKX and BOX sustained and gusts 

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

Two restaurants, Pat's and Apple Bee's are open in Windham. Tried getting in but wait was forever. Nothing else opened for miles around. Cooking some chicken on the BBQ

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Saw that earlier today at a restaurant that had power i was at with a Business rep line was lengthy, Just as the wife thru the chicken on the grill the power came on, But i have another problem, trying to find a butcher for my deer, They all are overrun with deer and they have no power to keep there coolers cold, So they are refusing to take on anymore, To warm to let it hang for any length of time.

Saw that earlier today at a restaurant that had power i was at with a Business rep line was lengthy, Just as the wife thru the chicken on the grill the power came on, But i have another problem, trying to find a butcher for my deer, They all are overrun with deer and they have no power to keep there coolers cold, So they are refusing to take on anymore, To warm to let it hang for any length of time.

That sucks about the deer.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When that band on that radar grab which was just tickling s Tolland county cane thru here between 12:30-1:15.. that was when things went nuts around here. Many ripping gusts, snaps and transformers blowing. Then at about 1:15.. it went quiet 

Dude I had power until 133 then boom tree fell next house up across the road then quiet at 135 ,of all the friggin luck

20171030_100613.jpg

Just now, Lava Rock said:

That sucks about the deer.

It would suck to lose that venison, I had an old freezer that i was replacing with a new one, So i have him in there with some ice blocks to keep him on ice until i call around tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Who said doomsday.  Totally met my expectations with lots of gusts 55 to 80 with 50 sustained on the beaches .I have no idea what you expected but 4 to 5 inches of rain, mega gusts,  flash flooding,  million plus now without power. No one but you who is into weather will forget this in a week. Strongest non tropical since the Perfect storm. If this were a week later we would have heard of devastating ocean flooding but that was the only negative I see. Period 

Exactly but not worth arguing. Some folks just don't get it.  Ask my daughter if it was  "memorable" as her roof was torn off and she faces a cold week without power.

roof.jpg

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Pics?  How big?

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Sure locally. But this crushed an entire 6 State Region from Greenwich to Caribou. It’s iron clad etched in 99.9% folks memories 

That's true. Regionally pretty high impact. I won't get into the whole memorable debate thing, but tough to recall a widespread wind and flood event like this.

The presence of social media helps etch events like this in people's heads so they'll remember it for years to come but IMO this event will certainly be memorable...even for people who weren't directly impacted and that's b/c people will probably know someone who was or they see/hear about it on the news/social media.  I mean just look back at some events...the BDL tornado in 1979...how many people did that directly impact?  Not many but I've talked to people who didn't even live in Windsor Locks but remember that day...same thing with the Hamden tornado and the 2011 tornado.  It is tough though to find such an event that really meets this one.  It's tough to knock over 1 million w/o power and not have it be a memorable event.  

2 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Man storm + Sallie trees = hard times for you folks.

Had gusts to 100km/h (62mph) here. Pretty meh. Some leaves and pine needles down from what I can see. No power disruptions in my local area although there were a few pockets. We have hardy tree growth I guess...lol.

Roots growing in granite?

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

No sign of power restoration here. Will need a transformer replaced. I've got 30lbs of ice in my fridge and all my meat/cheese etc in a cooler. Got a fire going, a Guinness in hand and reading by candlelight. Take it in stride and chill like its 1899. 

Meat, cheese, Guinness and fire? I might cut my power :)

Damage was scattered in nature around here. I ran across mainly a few branches and limbs as opposed to whole trees but there was reports of a few trees down here and there, I saw one down on 91 Northbound side in the woods and my wife reported some problems with wires down on South Rd this morning but overall nothing widespread.  My best estimate for a highest gust here was maybe 45-50 mph range around 1 AM. I believe BDL was gusting to 45 mph at that time but I am about 6 to 7 miles east of them so I can imagine perhaps being a few mph higher.  Not bad for such a low valley location but like I said yesterday I had a hard time believing we were going to verify HWW gusts here. Very cool storm regionwide.  NNE reports are particularly impressive.  Looks like our family's  summer cabin town of MT. Vernon Maine is almost 100 percent without power.   

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Who said doomsday.  Totally met my expectations with lots of gusts 55 to 80 with 50 sustained on the beaches .I have no idea what you expected but 4 to 5 inches of rain, mega gusts,  flash flooding,  million plus now without power. No one but you who is into weather will forget this in a week. Strongest non tropical since the Perfect storm. If this were a week later we would have heard of devastating ocean flooding but that was the only negative I see. Period 

80mph gusts were not common.

Bull$hit.

50-60mph  were...as expected.

Not thatanomalous....what increased the impact was tge foliage and wet ground.

Period.

Archived