SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw someone mention Methuen earlier. We got hit hard especially west side of town it seems. Not expecting power back until at least tomorrow. Saw a few telephone poles snapped. These huge pines broke off 10-20 feet above the ground. Strongest winds I can remember here in a long time. 

image1.JPG

image3.JPG

image1.JPG

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Remember when folks from other areas were shocked how long it took to get power back in CT after the October snow bomb? This storm will show those folks why 

In that one, we had all those areas in MA on one side of the border that had power back and literally just across the line in CT it was all dark. I remember a lot of posters who lived near the MA/CT border were making a big deal of it at the time.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Again....forgettable is subjective.

The doomsday crap didn't pan out.

Everyone prefaced their thoughts with the fact that it wouldn't take much to cause outsges.

Period.

Max gust was 47 mph here, Had more to do with leaves still on trees and the fact of saturated ground and wind direction like some of us mentioned yesterday would be the main culprit to the outages, I've seen bigger winds in many Nor' easter's over the years.

This is just a couple shots(not mine) of what was quite common around the area.  1st shot is just down the street from my house.  They did not clear this until mid afternoon apparently. 2nd is an uprooted tree.  Saw a lot of those as well as tress that snapped along the main truck.  Roads were closed all over.

22852936_1734902633187188_5457822678115964878_n.thumb.jpg.6d03e399234554ced82ed006a5e0116c.jpg

22886129_10101270742234399_3227257231161657248_n.thumb.jpg.0bef713a0dfd7f28cda0dde28463e6ec.jpg

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Everyone prefaced their thoughts with the fact that it wouldn't take much to cause outsges.

Period.

The ice storm in '08 and wind event in '10 were memorable for me for hearing the tree damage so loudly and clearly in the pitch dark.  Those were a bit frightening.  Last night had none of that.  For those who experienced that kind of thing or had to evacuate from flooding with this storm I imagine it will be memorable for them.

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Max gust was 47 mph here, Had more to do with leaves still on trees and the fact of saturated ground and wind direction like some of us mentioned yesterday would be the main culprit to the outages, I've seen bigger winds in many Nor' easter's over the years.

Everyone agreed, myself included, that there would be some people hit hard...but for the majority, it would be forgettable....Scott, Will, I...and most all agreed on that beforehand. Seems to me that is what happened. If you want to define "forgettable" by whether or not you lost power....ok, the one million are the ones that got hit hard. But the majority are the balance of NE.

I said before hand that because there would be outages,  that some would use that as justification even if it underperformed, and that has happened, too. Lol

45 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My boss lives in Hinesburg, VT. He was just told that the expected date for power to be restored to his house is November 3rd. Local news is in Stowe. 60% of the town is without power. 

My Daughter at Plymouth State who rents in Northfield NH was told it will be 48 hours before they can even estimate restoration. The ol'  "trucks from the mid-west are on their way" . Folks she has talked say six days.

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

The ice storm in '08 and wind event in '10 were memorable for me for hearing the tree damage so loudly and clearly in the pitch dark.  Those were a bit frightening.  Last night had none of that.  For those who experienced that kind of thing or had to evacuate from flooding with this storm I imagine it will be memorable for them.

Totally agree.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This is just a couple shots(not mine) of what was quite common around the area.  1st shot is just down the street from my house.  They did not clear this until mid afternoon apparently. 2nd is an uprooted tree.  Saw a lot of those as well as tress that snapped along the main truck.  Roads were closed all over.

22852936_1734902633187188_5457822678115964878_n.thumb.jpg.6d03e399234554ced82ed006a5e0116c.jpg

22886129_10101270742234399_3227257231161657248_n.thumb.jpg.0bef713a0dfd7f28cda0dde28463e6ec.jpg

This 2nd photo is just down the street from the 1st one.

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

My Daughter at Plymouth State who rents in Northfield NH was told it will be 48 hours before they can even estimate restoration. The ol'  "trucks from the mid-west are on their way" . Folks she has talked say six days.

Usually our area gets priority in the town so we’ll see how it goes. They had to put a pole up at the bottom of Cross Mill for Thanksgiving 2014 and they did it all within 24hrs. I don’t think I’ve gone 2+ days without power since 1994. 

Just now, dendrite said:

Usually our area gets priority in the town so we’ll see how it goes. They had to put a pole up at the bottom of Cross Mill for Thanksgiving 2014 and they did it all within 24hrs. I don’t think I’ve gone 2+ days without power since 1994. 

That's encouraging , worries me she plans on riding it out because of work and classes.

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Period.

Who said doomsday.  Totally met my expectations with lots of gusts 55 to 80 with 50 sustained on the beaches .I have no idea what you expected but 4 to 5 inches of rain, mega gusts,  flash flooding,  million plus now without power. No one but you who is into weather will forget this in a week. Strongest non tropical since the Perfect storm. If this were a week later we would have heard of devastating ocean flooding but that was the only negative I see. Period 

Two restaurants, Pat's and Apple Bee's are open in Windham. Tried getting in but wait was forever. Nothing else opened for miles around. Cooking some chicken on the BBQ

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived