Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

Downplay downplay downplay... Historic event for a lot of the area. Some in deep interior without power for days. World Series game going on and insane at the same time. I really doubt people will be forgetting this one as much as you think

What was "historic" for a lot of the area/forum?

I get what Ray is saying. 

Power outages in the interior for days doesn't equal insane wind speeds.  It was very damaging in areas but the actual speeds really weren't *that* high at least relative to the model gust maps.  

I may be without power for a couple days which makes it memorable but the real historic winds didn't seem to materialize as modeled.  Just think if we actually got 70-80mph gusts.  That's whole tracts of land flattened.

It was a widespread 40-60mph gust event with some very localized higher amounts, a solid high wind warning but nothing like a Nov 1950.  

Fun event to track though for sure and watch unfold.  Annoying aftermath.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The kid is just ridiculous 

I am known to be one of the least thrilled by windstorms, but this one was pretty impressive in my neck of the woods, not necessarily for the speed, but really for the sustained aspect.  Pretty relentless for a while.  Was a nice event.

My girlfriend's driveway. Her car can be seen, and believe it or not was not damaged, but what you cannot see is her mother's car buried under limbs and trunk.

Mms_2017-10-30_13-47-18.jpg

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Power outages in the interior for days doesn't equal insane wind speeds.  It was very damaging in areas but the actual speeds really weren't *that* high at least relative to the model gust maps.  

I may be without power for a couple days which makes it memorable but the real historic winds didn't seem to materialize as modeled.  Just think if we actually got 70-80mph gusts.  That's whole tracts of land flattened.

It was a widespread 40-60mph gust event, a solid high wind warning but nothing like a Nov 1950.  

I would def say it was only for a small slice of the forum...like that meso-stripe that affected Bob in KTAN and seemed to get some places up in E MA further north too, though not in totally consistent manner. It was pretty nasty in parts of S RI too...you could see the big velocities on radar down there and it seems the ground truth there matched with higher damage...adjacent SE CT as well in a few spots. I cannot speak for NNE since I haven't followed as closely there, but it sounds like some spots did pretty darn well...I know dendrite and eek had some good damage close by. Getting near 60mph there is not easy in CAD-land.

But yeah, in a lot of areas, this was actually just high end advisory stuff. The wet ground and still a lot of foliage on the trees made the damage worse though than anything equivalent in the winter. We actually kind of hammered that aspect yesterday...that 45-50mph winds could do quite a bit of damage given the other variables in place. But I tend to agree with Ray that for a good chunk of the population, this will be forgotten fairly quickly. Obviously for the 50k or 100k (or whatever it ends up being) people without power for more than 24 hours, it will suck and be more memorable as well as those areas that actually did get into that nice stripe of higher winds caused by the mesoscale nuances.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I would def say it was only for a small slice of the forum...like that meso-stripe that affected Bob in KTAN and seemed to get some places up in E MA further north too, though not in totally consistent manner. It was pretty nasty in parts of S RI too...you could see the big velocities on radar down there and it seems the ground truth there matched with higher damage...adjacent SE CT as well in a few spots. I cannot speak for NNE since I haven't followed as closely there, but it sounds like some spots did pretty darn well...I know dendrite and eek had some good damage close by. Getting near 60mph there is not easy in CAD-land.

But yeah, in a lot of areas, this was actually just high end advisory stuff. The wet ground and still a lot of foliage on the trees made the damage worse though than anything equivalent in the winter. We actually kind of hammered that aspect yesterday...that 45-50mph wins could do quite a bit of damage given the other variables in place. But I tend to agree with Ray that for a good chunk of the population, this will be forgotten fairly quickly. Obviously for the 50k or 100k (or whatever it ends up being) people without power for more than 24 hours, it will suck and be more memorable as well as those areas that actually did get into that nice stripe of higher winds caused by the mesoscale nuances.

Good point.

24 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I am known to be one of the least thrilled by windstorms, but this one was pretty impressive in my neck of the woods, not necessarily for the speed, but really for the sustained aspect.  Pretty relentless for a while.  Was a nice event.

My girlfriend's driveway. Her car can be seen, and believe it or not was not damaged, but what you cannot see is her mother's car buried under limbs and trunk.

Mms_2017-10-30_13-47-18.jpg

No excuse for not being at work today...

...seriously, I hope they are ok

24 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:
38 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
$11,000+ for two walls??? I'd take a gennny over that with LP as fuel.

I know...they're a fortune. Would be cool to have them and be completely off the electric grid. A couple years they'll be more reasonable.

Check with your local utility provider.  Green Mountain power has a leasing program for $15/month.

http://products.greenmountainpower.com/powerwall/

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

But yeah, in a lot of areas, this was actually just high end advisory stuff. The wet ground and still a lot of foliage on the trees made the damage worse though than anything equivalent in the winter. We actually kind of hammered that aspect yesterday...that 45-50mph winds could do quite a bit of damage given the other variables in place. But I tend to agree with Ray that for a good chunk of the population, this will be forgotten fairly quickly. Obviously for the 50k or 100k (or whatever it ends up being) people without power for more than 24 hours, it will suck and be more memorable as well as those areas that actually did get into that nice stripe of higher winds caused by the mesoscale nuances.

The exact terminology used was, "memorable". 

It was my mistake for not repeating that. I meant to argue it's definitely memorable. Historic in locations. 

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It was a widespread 40-60mph gust event with some very localized higher amounts, a solid high wind warning but nothing like a Nov 1950.  

Fun event to track though for sure and watch unfold.  Annoying aftermath.

Though the sensible wx didn't overwhelm, the impact seems pretty historic for my general area - at least 20% more folks powerless than from the 1998 ice storm (though I'm certain that far fewer will stay dark for 2-3 weeks like '98) and the two major E-W roads in western Maine out of commission at least temporarily.  I'd call that memorable, though I'm biased. 

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Though the sensible wx didn't overwhelm, the impact seems pretty historic for my general area - at least 20% more folks powerless than from the 1998 ice storm (though I'm certain that far fewer will stay dark for 2-3 weeks like '98) and the two major E-W roads in western Maine out of commission at least temporarily.  I'd call that memorable, though I'm biased. 

Impact yes.  Was thinking more obs wise.

But I just got home and we are f*cked.  It'll be days here before we see power.  

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm with Will. I have no idea how TAN beat MQE. That's unheard of.

I think gravity waves were really doing some work last night. Could have explained TAN going wild while MQE was more run of the mill.

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

ha, everything below that intersection on washington was without power this AM.

Is that pic you posted Veranda Street?  Explains why our campus over there is without power

Still without power there too. It was on Veranda. There was a big tree blocking Route 1 that they detoured cars around through a neighborhood just before the bridge, then past Martin's Point those poles were toppled. 

2 hours ago, sbos_wx said:

Downplay downplay downplay... Historic event for a lot of the area. Some in deep interior without power for days. World Series game going on and insane at the same time. I really doubt people will be forgetting this one as much as you think

Memorable is subjective.

You have the right to your opinion.

But the huge winds over a wide area that many were predicting did not materialize. The cape largely underperformed btw.

You don't have the right to an opinion in that regard because its simply fact-

14 minutes ago, MarkO said:

This tree blew over last night around 1:30. It was probably the loud pop I heard followed by transformer/fuse flash. It's STILL blocking Rt 133 and hasn't been touched. The N Grid lineman say it's going to be a while. Could be days before we get our power back. :/

20171030_110923_resized.jpg

Thankfully, your boy?, wore a helmet with trees falling all around him. 

16 minutes ago, MarkO said:

This tree blew over last night around 1:30. It was probably the loud pop I heard followed by transformer/fuse flash. It's STILL blocking Rt 133 and hasn't been touched. The N Grid lineman say it's going to be a while. Could be days before we get our power back. :/

20171030_110923_resized.jpg

Hopefully you stayed clear of the downed lines and surroundings:

Archived