SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You think you saw 60?

I think the exposed top of the hill probably pushed 55-60. My large oaks on the east side really cut the wind down to my anny. I can’t believe how much those huge trees were bending. If they were pines they would’ve been down. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I understand there ware considerable power outages...it was acknowledged that it wouldn't take as much as it normally would due to a saturated ground and vestigial foliage.

I'm sure some roads were closed, as again....the aforementioned combination led to some branches and even trees falling, as I saw one.

But I live here.....I think serious damage is pretty isolated.

That's what I meant by pockets of craziness. Some of the trees had massive trunks snapped. It takes a lot for that even with leaves. But when everyone was talking Methuen this morning, my co-worker who lives there said not too bad at his place. So you probably had some mesoscale stuff involved. 

Also, I think very near the water, the temps were slightly inverted. I noticed BOS was a tick or two cooler than interior areas (just away from water by 10 miles or so) and those interior areas had better winds it seems. Might have been the same phenomenon on the Cape. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

That's what I meant by pockets of craziness. Some of the trees had massive trunks snapped. It takes a lot for that even with leaves. But when everyone was talking Methuen this morning, my co-worker who lives there said not too bad at his place. So you probably had some mesoscale stuff involved. 

Also, I think very near the water, the temps were slightly inverted. I noticed BOS was a tick or two cooler than interior areas (just away from water by 10 miles or so) and those interior areas had better winds it seems. Might have been the same phenomenon on the Cape. 

Wow...interesting.

Good stuff....agree RE mesoscale stuff.

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

:(

Updated as of 12:15PM on Monday, October 30, 2017:

The power outages are still widespread and this could potentially be a multi-day event. We are doing everything in our power to restore service as quickly as possible.

We will continue to provide updates as they are received.

How widespread is it? SOunds like TAN-PYM to Hanover or so got nailed. Is it trees in every yard, or just one or two down on a street?

Pretty impressive night here. Strongest winds I’ve ever experienced. Roads were a mess this morning. 138/495 on ramp... huge tree fell on wires and snapped a pole in half.. along with a car crashed into guardrail.

Probably saw a dozen large trees down on my 20 minute drive to work... which took over 45 minutes today 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

How widespread it is? SOunds like TAN-PYM to Hanover or so got nailed. Is it trees in every yard, or just one or two down on a street?

Well I drove from my house to East Bridgewater via S Precinct St, Rt 79, Rt 18 past the Bridgewater Correctional facility and around the south side of Bridgewater St U.  All of these roads were just littered with branches and snapped trees partially blocking them and making the drive treacherous as you had to navigate around them.  It appeared as though they had just cleared off Rt 79 and Rt 18 making them passable as there were clearly trees that had dropped across them in a few areas.  My normal route this AM was blocked due to a tree across the road. 

47 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Most people will forget this in a week or two.

Let this be a lesson to those who thought that twelve different factors would fall into place correctly.

LLJ, decaying TS, inversion, convection mixing things up....blah.

Give me a hurricane tracking to my west.

This was a nice event...don't mind not being without power.

Downplay downplay downplay... Historic event for a lot of the area. Some in deep interior without power for days. World Series game going on and insane at the same time. I really doubt people will be forgetting this one as much as you think

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Pretty impressive night here. Strongest winds I’ve ever experienced. Roads were a mess this morning. 138/495 on ramp... huge tree fell on wires and snapped a pole in half.. along with a car crashed into guardrail.

Probably saw a dozen large trees down on my 20 minute drive to work... which took over 45 minutes today 

You still in Middleborough working?

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm with Will. I have no idea how TAN beat MQE. That's unheard of.

Def the most shocking statistic of the event. MQE is completely exposed. 

I wonder if that very slightly more inverted sounding near the water was the difference. But you'd figure MQE is inland enough that it wouldn't matter. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wonder if that very slightly more inverted sounding near the water was the difference. But you'd figure MQE is inland enough that it wouldn't matter. 

They shouldn't have that issue being that far inland on a SE flow. Even BVY had 53kts. I did notice that while Logan was 61, I was 63.7 and climbing. But TAN was like 65-66 when those winds came in. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

My personal opinion is that MQE was just on the western side of either a gravity wave or meselow that shot thru the area.  Look at the differences in rainfall from Bristol Cty.  Much "drier" by my house.

...Bristol County...
   Taunton               4.94   356 AM 10/30  NONE
   Dighton               3.93   746 AM 10/30  NWS Employee
   4 ESE Taunton         2.60   500 AM 10/30  ASOS
   North Attleboro       1.99   356 AM 10/30  NONE
   3 NW New Bedford      1.61   500 AM 10/30  ASOS

53 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

It'll be memorable throughout most of NNE.  Here in Maine 445,000 are without power.  It was a man storm for us.

Significantly more than in 1998.  Saw pics of a ruined bridges closing Rt 302, and Rt 2, the latter between Bethel and the NH line.  Tough going westward in the south half of Maine. 

Edit:  Guessing that the Rt 2 pic was the Wild River in Gilead.  In 18 hours it rose from just over 200 cfs to 31,100 - 2nd only to the 37,800 from Irene.

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think the exposed top of the hill probably pushed 55-60. My large oaks on the east side really cut the wind down to my anny. I can’t believe how much those huge trees were bending. If they were pines they would’ve been down. 

Brian.  Are there branches and limbs down everywhere in Northfield?   I just drove around and its mostly leaves and twigs some small branches but not a "wow" type of thing.  I saw a  few larger trees in the greater couple of miles but really not much else to notice.  Even the backroads are mostly clear.  I just don't understand how I got in such a wind hole?  I know the first part was the cool air damming but never the scary, howling gusts.  41mph on the Davis happens 2 or 3 times a year and that is with my open SE to SW exposure.  50-55mph would have brought down many more large limbs.  Impressive rainfall.  3.8"

44 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Somebody from a hill top in CT was incredibly excited for 65 mph gusts...none of that verified except down in the SE corner of CT where we figured it would.   I figured most of the products were way over done for the interior as well....so I was not surprised.   Lots and lots of rain though...that part was impressive.  

There was a lot of bust calls and NBD etcetc.. and the event overperformed in some places . The folks that keep patting themselves on the back, saying they made a great forecast, that it went just like they said.. etc. it’s akin to an inferiority complex and they’re looking for attention 

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My personal opinion is that MQE was just on the western side of either a gravity wave or meselow that shot thru the area.  Look at the differences in rainfall from Bristol Cty.  Much "drier" by my house.

...Bristol County...
   Taunton               4.94   356 AM 10/30  NONE
   Dighton               3.93   746 AM 10/30  NWS Employee
   4 ESE Taunton         2.60   500 AM 10/30  ASOS
   North Attleboro       1.99   356 AM 10/30  NONE
   3 NW New Bedford      1.61   500 AM 10/30  ASOS

Same here. About 1.8" vs over 3" in Quincy. 

Power and cable still out (since 11 last night)for me and a large portion of raynham. Generator is going though so it's fine.

The worst thing is that even though I have 18 solar panels on the roof, the system won't work unless there is street power connected to the house. Lousy, but it's for safety, so....

May have to invest in the Tesla PowerWall to store the power and use it at night or outages

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Same here. About 1.8" vs over 3" in Quincy. 

I had 2.52 just between midnight and 5 AM in Randolph.  Rain hitting the house sideways and the loudest roars I can remember since Irene.  Didn't lose power or any trees, but had to detour off Canton Street (near Ponkapoag Pond) because of downed trees.  Based on what we had, I'm also shocked about MQE (sustained 36, gusting to 47 as of 1 PM this afternoon).

Was watching this and the NYC thread with interest from afar.  I was surprised by some of the posts here about how rare it is to get 50 mph winds in some areas.  I guess I never fully realized the effect that being in a valley/protected spot can have.  Then again, I have lived in the Midwest all my life, where it's mostly flat and generally less forested of course.

32 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

Power and cable still out (since 11 last night)for me and a large portion of raynham. Generator is going though so it's fine.

The worst thing is that even though I have 18 solar panels on the roof, the system won't work unless there is street power connected to the house. Lousy, but it's for safety, so....

May have to invest in the Tesla PowerWall to store the power and use it at night or outages

$11,000+ for two walls??? I'd take a gennny over that with LP as fuel.

Archived