Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I'd love to see those again and plot the obs.  They had like 70-80mph in a lot of the interior.  I still don't think they were very good based on the actual obs.

Damage is very solid but damage doesn't even that good an indicator as last night's discussion showed.  Damage seems to really ramp up at 40+ mph from reporting station obs.

I think Euro gust maps were 25% too high but yes they raised the awareness.  

I agree...they were def overdone. They probably verified best in interior E MA where it had gusts around 70 and we did get some close to that...as supported by the TAN 58 knot obs and they are not in the best wind spot. But I gotta tell you....I'm pretty shocked that MQE only managed 55 knots. They couldn't even beat KTAN. That is really weird.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like highest Vermont gust was Wells in Rutland County (downslope off Killington area) with 78mph.  

I'm skeptical because it's MESOWEST but it is in a location where it *could* happen.  I hate that...some of those stations either don't go over 50mph or they freak out and report too high.  But it's plausible so you can't really throw it out truly.

Aside from the 115mph at Mansfield.

Thankfully wind under performed here a little based on what some of the model output was showing. I mean, I could definitely here that roar coming down the West Slopes last night, but not seeing really any trees down. Just some limbs and maybe a random rotting tree. Not sure of the MET reasons for it, but definitely not near some of the 70-90mph gusts that were possible. Looks like it was worse north of here up through CVT and NVT.   SVT downslope zones not as bad even though they were ground zero on the HRRR, Euro and some others for high winds, although there were probably some occasional gusts to 45-55mph.

14 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Wow, feeling lucky in Portland.  It went out briefly, saw about four transformers explode, power flickered some more but it remained on.  Maybe living next to the fire dept has an advantage

Gonna have to borrow some ice packs from work and put food into coolers tonight. At least in the winter, you can throw stuff outside.

9 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Thankfully wind under performed here a little based on what some of the model output was showing. I mean, I could definitely here that roar coming down the West Slopes last night, but not seeing really any trees down. Just some limbs and maybe a random rotting tree. Not sure of the MET reasons for it, but definitely not near some of the 70-90mph gusts that were possible. Looks like it was worse north of here up through CVT and NVT.   SVT downslope zones not as bad even though they were ground zero on the HRRR, Euro and some others for high winds, although there were probably some occasional gusts to 45-55mph.

You probably saw similar winds to what was seen in Stowe...(not a downslope spot on SE flow, but still got 50mph)...but you are in a spot that sees a lot of wind so your vegetation can take it better.  

Funny how that matters.  We just don't get big winds below the base of the ski resort so gusting 50mph definitely sounds like it took out a bunch of stuff.  You get the same winds and not much happens, which aren't that uncommon with strong SEly flow in your west slope location

Another reason why damage isn't a good indicator of wind speeds.  

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean 57 kts at BGR? That is nuts. Blasting areas not used to those winds.

I was up there this weekend visiting a friend. Went to bar harbor as well. Didn't even need a sweatshirt Saturday night or Sunday morning. All the locals were commenting on how ridiculously warm it's been...With that kind of weather up there this time of the year, I knew there would be some kind of hell to pay. Although, I am still surprised the airport gusted to 66 mph. I expected that in Bar Harbor; not in Bangor...

4 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Seems like the rest of Bow got some damage.  School is closed, some roads closed, many without power.  Was pretty tame here overall compared to 02/2010.

Was in Puerto Rico for 2/2010 but I bet that foliated trees made a huge difference in causing damage. It was definitely more intense than Irene and Sandy here, but the damage pales in comparison to the '08 ice storm and the '11 October snow. We lost a birch and our neighbors had a tree snap in half across their yard, but I didn't see much of any damage otherwise on my drive this morning. The Oct '11 snow especially looked a like a warzone on every street. 

28% of the city without power though, so there must be damage out there. 

6 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Was in Puerto Rico for 2/2010 but I bet that foliated trees made a huge difference in causing damage. It was definitely more intense than Irene and Sandy here, but the damage pales in comparison to the '08 ice storm and the '11 October snow. We lost a birch and our neighbors had a tree snap in half across their yard, but I didn't see much of any damage otherwise on my drive this morning. The Oct '11 snow especially looked a like a warzone on every street. 

28% of the city without power though, so there must be damage out there. 

I'd estimate 2010 was +30mph over this for my back yard.  Also the ground was like liquid mud even more than it was last night so trees went down relatively easily. 

I haven't done a full yard walk yet, but I don't think any trees went down in my yard vs. over a dozen (big ones over 100' tall) in 2010.

Archived