SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Over 267,00 now without power, This is going to rival ice storm 98 numbers

Damn.

Green Mountain Power has 50,000 out in Vermont which is massive for them considering a lot of towns have private electric companies.  

I can't remember the last time Stowe Schools closed for anything other than a 18"+ snowstorm.  Ski resort told everyone to stay home.  I'm pissed we lost all weather stations at 2:30am so can't see the highest gusts.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Over 267,00 now without power, This is going to rival ice storm 98 numbers

I think 1998 got to about 330K or so, and this event is easily the worst since then.  Went out at our place about 6:20.  Fun commute, exacerbeted by the guy who followed at 20-40' all the way from New Sharon to Augusta.  I'd slow down at straightaways, but he (assumption on my part) would not bite, and given the lousy visibility, any attempt to pull over onto the narrow shoulders would've been "interesting".  Tree blocking most of road just north of Belgrade Village and no lights north of that - maybe one fix and our power returns?  Part of a framed but not sheathed garage blocking half of the road in Belgrade Village.  Roof on Gagne Concrete's main building (on 27 in south Belgrade) flapping in the breeze.  1.56" thru 6:30 with RA+ continuing.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro gusts maps were not too bad after all

I'd love to see those again and plot the obs.  They had like 70-80mph in a lot of the interior.  I still don't think they were very good based on the actual obs.

Damage is very solid but damage doesn't even that good an indicator as last night's discussion showed.  Damage seems to really ramp up at 40+ mph from reporting station obs.

I think Euro gust maps were 25% too high but yes they raised the awareness.  

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think 1998 got to about 330K or so, and this event is easily the worst since then.  Went out at our place about 6:20.  Fun commute, exacerbeted by the guy who followed at 20-40' all the way from New Sharon to Augusta.  I'd slow down at straightaways, but he (assumption on my part) would not bite, and given the lousy visibility, any attempt to pull over onto the narrow shoulders would've been "interesting".  Tree blocking most of road just north of Belgrade Village and no lights north of that - maybe one fix and our power returns?  Part of a framed but not sheathed garage blocking half of the road in Belgrade Village.  Roof on Gagne Concrete's main building (on 27 in south Belgrade) flapping in the breeze.  1.56" thru 6:30 with RA+ continuing.

Hopefully my in-law's place survived it okay. They are right in the village.

Storm Summary  (so far)    3.47" rain peak wind on Davis 41mph  (Davis station is old so perhaps the anemometer bearings under report wind?)

Through last evening and well into the night my winds were surprising light.  Temps in the mid/upper 50's.  Even while everyone was getting the big wind I couldn't understand what was going on.  I am always in a great place for cold air damming so guessed some type of inversion.  Then it broke, temp went up only 60F but the wind roared in.  That roar through the forest but not the scary house rattling gusts.  Lights stayed on as I had many gusts in the high 30's and peaked at 41mph.  Finally, around 4 am I went to sleep as the wind seemed to be relaxing a bit.  Woke up at 430am to no power.  Now that it is light and have driven around there are lots of small branches but no large limbs or trees.  I am surprised that the wind was not a bit stronger but rainfall was very impressive.  

The generator is going and I'm on a dead-end dirt road so I'm in this for the long haul.  Heat by wood and the only thing I don't have is well water.  Stocked up good yesterday and have a stream at the bottom of the hill so no big inconvenience.  

I have to now scroll through the posts.  At least we don't have an early season arctic blast following this so it will not be too cold in peoples homes once the colder air comes in.

Archived