Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Def starting to see some better obs on the south coast. But this is how it should go...it ramps up very quickly after looking pretty lackluster the first few hours of the evening.

I do think the coast is going to do really well...the bigger question to me is how widespread this becomes from E CT northeast through E MA off the coast in the interior. 

I think the Cape is in some big trouble as we near 6z.  NAM continues to develop 90+ 925 jet max which goes right over the Cape.  This sounding looks quite good for some big wind gusts.  I bet someone gets an 80+ mph gust

2017103000_NAM_006_41.68,-70.28_severe_sfc.png

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I think the Cape is in some big trouble as we near 6z.  NAM continues to develop 90+ 925 jet max which goes right over the Cape.  This sounding looks quite good for some big wind gusts.  I bet someone gets an 80+ mph gust

2017103000_NAM_006_41.68,-70.28_severe_sfc.png

I agree. The LL lapse rates down there too are really favorable to mix down...throw in no land friction and you have a recipe for massive winds. 

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...I pretty much only look at actual station obs. It's not because I think people intentionally deceive...it's because it is very easy to overestimate winds. I still do it and I've been out chasing wind events many times in the past with a hand held anemometer. It's really easy to be sure a 44mph gust was at least 60. Can't tell you how many times I was sure we were getting gusts to 70 on the cape and I look at the handheld and it says 56. On top of that, something like 45mph will in fact do pretty decent damage to trees with foliage still on them. Throw in a saturated ground and you could be looking at "equivalent" 50-55 knot damage. 

The damage is def a big threat...but in terms of the nerdiness of verifying the actual numbers...station obs over human estimation every single time. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this post.  Very well put, Will!  

Only thing I'd add is that a handheld anemometer is going to record a lesser wind speed than that at 10m.  Consequently,  the aforementioned 56 mph ob corresponds to a gust exceeding 60 mph at the standard ASOS height.  Regardless, it's a natural tendency for everyone to overestimate the wind, as you so well noted.

Despite experiencing winds exceeding HF on at least 30 different occasions, it never ceases to amaze me how strong a 64 kt wind gust truly is.  In fact, the same applies to a "storm force" wind of 50 kt; an appropriately named and categorization for winds of such strength, IMHO!    

Edit: Feel confident there will be numerous reports of gusts >/= 50 kt...with >/= 64 kt on the outer Cape.  Hoping it mixes down that well for many of you, and all residents in the entire region don't experience personal damage to property; much less any bodily injury!

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Raining hard here and finally a little wind. Would honestly be impressed if the ASH ASOS gusts to over 40 kts. Very interested to see if anything came down tomorrow morning. 

You might be more likely to do it tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think 40 knots is a stretch for ASH.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

You might be more likely to do it tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think 40 knots is a stretch for ASH.

Yeah I agree, which is why I want to see if we make it. As far as I can remember 40-45 kts is about the upper eschelon for synoptic wind here. 

Very little talk of the rain.

This is nuts for how widespread the heavy rain is.  

ALB forecasting 3-6" for Litchfield/Lower Hudson Valley/Catskills through 1am... jeez.

Also note the snow falling in the Appalachians.

Edit: You can see the LLJ on radar, no?  Warm conveyor belt type look punching towards the CT shore.

IMG_7196.GIF.263368a936b3be85e1408b1194b796e9.GIF

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I agree. The LL lapse rates down there too are really favorable to mix down...throw in no land friction and you have a recipe for massive winds. 

Then they have the mini low that hits the cape,  whetever the heck that thing is.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's pretty eye opening.  James might be relocated to to some location in the Atlantic.  Outside of the CT coast I'm not really liking signal for big gusts inland.  

Archived