Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The winds are increasing as my dad and I drop off my brother at the naval station in Newport, Ri

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Winds are gusty here in Newport

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Sky looks nasty

maybe this year you can work on combining your thoughts into single posts? the barrage of one-liners gets old.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not sure it goes as far west as, say, here. Probably best shot Cape.  

Really curious to see the regionwide obs after this.  The public is terrible at estimating winds from my experience on the mountain but the obs will tell the real story.

I don't know what it is but everyone seems to over-estimate winds... like wow that must've been 50mph or more!  Umm it registered as 38mph.  

I think 40-50mph will be plenty exciting for many.  Gusts to 60-70+ is higher end stuff, even at the picnic tables much less in a forested housing development.

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Which town are you in? Let us know how things look!

Ryan, I'm in Killingly ( I work with your cohort Josh on weekends). Right now it's relatively calm with less than a 1/4 of rain and negligible winds, later on if I have time I'll try to update.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really curious to see the regionwide obs after this.  The public is terrible at estimating winds from my experience on the mountain but the obs will tell the real story.

I don't know what it is but everyone seems to over-estimate winds... like wow that must've been 50mph or more!  Umm it registered as 38mph.  

I think 40-50mph will be plenty exciting for many.  Gusts to 60-70+ is higher end stuff, even at the picnic tables much less in a forested housing development.

My weather stations anemometer sucks for maximizing winds but my Downeaster will get the job done with recorded gust.

I've been watching this evolve from the tropical side of things. NHC has issued its last advisory but notes latent heat transfer from Phillipe's MCS to the coastal bomb. A little late October excitement for the forum it seems. I know some of you are getting the old adrenaline rush, but I do hope you folks don't wake up to too much tree damage tomorrow. The trees are at or just past peak, but still foliated. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

What would be the next wind upgrade ? TS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tropical headlines are different than regular wind headlines. So the progression is wind advisory, high wind warning, extreme wind warning (cat 3 winds or higher). So there is a large range for a HWW.

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Does the fast movement of this storm increase wind speeds? Like similar to 1938 where everything happened in 2-3 hours but storm moving 60 mph increased surface winds . Just to an obviously lesser degree?

To the immediate east of what’s left of Philippe, sure.

After catching up with the thread, I feel like it should be noted that the best way to forecast wind gusts is with sounding analysis.

Plenty if sites offer point and click forecast soundings now, obviously Bufkit is still the best.

Winds at 925 or 850 can show potential, but you are just using approximations and rules of thumb.

Wind gust maps are really just voodoo. You’re relying on a model to accurately predict surface winds (which they aren’t good at) and then you apply a blanket miltiplier to it typically. I believe the HRRR may actually try and use mixing height to pull down gusts, but the Euro maps are likely just a simple 2 or 3 times the wind speed.

That may be able to highlight areas of concern, but the absolute values and thinking there is any sort of consensus for 70 mph gusts well inland with this event is mostly smoke and mirrors.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Latest NAM, RGEM and HRRR track that right up 'Gansett Bay.  May be "fun" for a bit here. 

Puts the local area up here more into play. “Landfall” on the elbow of the Cape brought the best winds too Midcoadt Maine last night, so any tick west is good for GYX.

Archived