Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God I miss WxBell. 

This meso low is like a little stinger. It's an extremely small but vicious little bugger. It tracks over RI up into E MA and gives that area 50-70kt gusts on the models, then in the sweet spot on Cape Islands, 70-90... 

So many different facets to the system. There's the original winds from the big continental low. Average stuff that is for Western areas producing rain now. When that deepens, looks like heavy rain and possibly convection lifts nearly due north over the area, mixing down high gusts for the interior and eastern portions.

Then the meso low comes in as final shot tracking over SE MA and into Maine coast.

Really think of it as three different bouts of wind almost. First is meh, second is substantial, third is major. 

Third is the most questionable. Anytime you see 90mph wind gusts you raise a flag and you should be skeptical. But if there's convection, all bets are off. Just know that the most severe winds are limited to SE MA, Islands, Cape Cod, Cape Ann, and some portions of the E MA coast.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Whatever these tropical lows do..I feel like we may see a variety of conditions. I feel like those lows will screw around the winds. If you are east, you rip, if west..it's heavy rain. It's not a high confidence situation for those winds. 

That meso-low going into SE MA is going to crank for you guys.  West of it is not nearly as robust but you can see how tight that core is on the HRRR...like one county size of insane wind riding east of that meso.

Just now, powderfreak said:

That meso-low going into SE MA is going to crank for you guys.  West of it is not nearly as robust but you can see how tight that core is on the HRRR...like one county size of insane wind riding east of that meso.

I'm not sure it goes as far west as, say, here. Probably best shot Cape.  

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not with such unanimous model agreement. The one thing that “may” happen is instead of it being over such massive areas it could be a bit more sporadic under connective elements. Another words everyone gusts 55, but only some hit 65-70+

I could totally see gusts only 40-45 if the mini low east develops and we wedge some. Wouldn't take much. 

Archived