SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough for me to get too amped up about this.  LLJ are like inverted troughs, backlash and severe threats. Very real phenomena, but if you arr relying on them you will be disappointed 9/10 times around here.

I'd like to see a hurricane track west of me for big wind....not this "well, there is a good LLJ at 925mb, so if you get a hail mary severe T storm (yea right, in its own right), no inversion and a random tropical system sling shots off of Bermuda and into chapter 8 of The Dawn Awakening, then we could mix that down.

The more factors, the less margin for error.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Tough for me to get too amped up about this.  LLJ are like inverted troughs, backlash and severe threats. Very real phenomena, but if you arr relying on them you will be disappointed 9/10 times around here.

I'd like to see a hurricane track west of me for big wind....not this "well, there is a good LLJ at 925mb, so if you get a hail mary severe T storm (yea right, in its own right), no inversion and a random tropical system sling shots off of Bermuda and into chapter 8 of The Dawn Awakening, then we could mix that down.

The more factors, the less margin for error.

yeah pretty much - good reasons to be skeptical, especially well inland

buuut I will say if we can get the remnants of Phillipe (or w/e we wanna call it) to come in more tucked  / goes west of us, then it could be wild 

Just now, ma blizzard said:

yeah pretty much - good reasons to be skeptical, especially well inland

buuut I will say if we can get the remnants f  Phillipe (or w/e we wanna call it) to come in more tucked  / goes west of us, then it could be wild 

Totally....not saying anyone is wrong.

We just need alot to work out right.

I'd def stay reserved inland for now...but I think for the coast line of SE CT to RI to the Cape and then even along the E MA coast including BOS...I'd start expecting HWW stuff. They will be right where the LLJ is starting to go apesh**. 

I might forecast marginal HWW for places like ORH airport. As I said earlier, they will be a very good test for how well stuff is mixing over the deep interior. They are literally completely exposed to the south and east looking all the way into CT and RI and BOS. If they aren't gusting to 50 knots, then not many over the deep interior are. 

My little hill in Holliston is actually pretty exposed toward the south and east too so I'll have to see what we pull off here. 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Can’t be stressed enough.. when you see Ryan and Scooter pumped about interior winds.. you’d damn well better pay attention 

I said you have to have things to work out for the interior to really blow hard. I'm not 100% confident in that. 

Just now, db306 said:

Gotta have close to 2 inches of rain since this morning.....thinking it may not take much to blow some trees right over.

This is def something that shouldn't be overlooked. We just came off a pretty good rain event too. So the soft ground could make a 45mph gust effectively be a 60mph gust. It's a variable that maybe lets you go a little more bullish in terms of damage...since you don't necessarily need to verify the highest winds in the envelope of solutions to get it. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is def something that shouldn't be overlooked. We just came off a pretty good rain event too. So the soft ground could make a 45mph gust effectively be a 60mph gust. It's a variable that maybe lets you go a little more bullish in terms of damage...since you don't necessarily need to verify the highest winds in the envelope of solutions to get it. 

Just been pouring all morning here right up the CT River Valley....should be an interesting evening.

Areas under that LLJ are going to rip and rip hard.  Not a great deal of agreement either has to how far inland (at least when talking about CT) the LLJ max rides.  This is a point-and-click sounding from the 12z GFS for an area in SE CT which is damn close to that max.  A bit of an unstable layer there just above the surface. Probably enough for some crazy winds there...inland CT though profile is pretty damn moist adiabatic with no real unstable layer...could halt the big winds across inland areas. 

3AA72E2F-BB11-450B-B60B-B5AC6A83EA2A.thumb.png.ccc7b541af5ab2506a9274bd13feb22c.png

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

.47 here so far. Started raining about 10:00

We have to have 4 times that amount here.  Non stop rain since about 6:30 am! And pouring a lot of that time. 

i remember talk Friday evening and even yesterday morning of Sunday being dry a good chunk of the time.  That certainly didn't happen here anyway.  

Archived