Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I am not expecting 100mph plus winds here Ray, I was just pointing out that the NAM got stronger at 850mb, and they are attached to the post tropical low of Philippe when he arrives over our area tomorrow night into Monday morning

Well, you said "a hurricane is coming"..

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newest satellite and water vapor imagery of the eastern United States Seaboard shows several factors heading into tomorrow night's monster of a storm center and impacts for Southern New England.  First a large vort max and associated upper level low is moving into the VA region which will allow a coastal low to develop and intensify as it moves closer to the coastline of NC.  Another short wave and vort max is rotating through the base of the large upper level trough over the OH Valley through the mid MS Valley and moving northeastward towards the NC and SC coastlines.  Once this disturbance reaches this region of the Eastern Seaboard the coastal storm will under go bombogenesis as an extra tropical cyclone, not a nor'easter because the wind direction will be out of the south or more so out of the southeast over SNE.  This will develop a potent to violent low level jet stream at 5000 feet above the surface of the ocean and depending upon how warm it can get into eastern SNE and eastern ME we could see some of these potent to violent winds reach the surface over eastern SNE and Eastern ME.  We also have to contend with a tropical cyclone which is currently just southwest of Naples, Florida moving northeastward at around 24mph.  It is this system the latest model runs have hitting Cape and ACK as a tropical storm absorbed into a hybrid beast of an extratropical storm.  Widespread 30-40mph winds inland and 50-65mph winds widespread over eastern and coastal SNE with gusts possibly reaching hurricane force.  Again I will have another update as the storm matures tomorrow night.

18 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

sorry I was a little hyped, a little late for a coffee drink, but I am excited to hear the jet engine roaring as the 100 knot low level jet arrives over our heads tomorrow night

It should be fun out there.  Will you go out on a beach to experience it? I always thought a beach on the Cape would be fun for a blizzard.

1 minute ago, klw said:

It should be fun out there.  Will you go out on a beach to experience it? I always thought a beach on the Cape would be fun for a blizzard.

I have never experienced anything over 80mph, and those carried with it blizzard conditions, like when I went plowing with my dad.  I wouldn't venture to the beach with just experiencing winds unless I had a sturdy building to go in once the winds got too bad.  The beach is fun during a blizzard where no trees have an impact to your head, but for the most part I stay indoors for wind events.  I never got to experience the winds over Cape Cod and my home during the great TROP FOLD event of December 9th 2005

6 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Somebody will get confirmed hurricane gusts but I'm skeptical of the wind progs.  I going with an under of 45mph on MPM Davis which is usually  linked up on wunderground. 

Yeah, i'll get gas for the generator in the morning but that's just cuz I'm like that. 

That's always the safe bet--anything over 35 on it is a win.  Also, the high will likely be tomorrow afternoon.

Seeing 22 pages in this thread speaks volumes of how little people get excited by wind.  A couple weeks from now, the prospect of 6" of snow will garner more board activity than this storm.  That said, I'm looking forward to some good gusts even if they will pale compared to coast.

Archived