Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

NWS is not overly impressed with winds in Franklin Co.  Gusts to 40mph. 

My favorite is "additive momentum of forward motion". Its a real phenomenom, but I think some rely on that to complete the tall task or reconciling expectations with the most likely outcome in terms of wind.

Perhaps this is slightly off topic for this thread but I'll throw it out there anyhow.  I just went to the NWS pages to look at the regional hazard maps for watches, advisories, warnings etc. for this storm.  Most all of New England is shaded in green for the flood watch.  Not until I click in different areas do I see that there is a high wind watch up too.  For the layperson that quickly looks, I wonder if they could stipe areas with alternating colors if more than one hazard is expected.  For most of us that are not near rivers the wind maybe a bigger deal but they decided to shade the area green not brown although both are watches, not warnings...

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Wow, some sub 960 members in there. Lots of sub 970s. Very impressive. And Ray, that "additive momentum" comment was tongue in cheek, although I realize that doesn't come across well in text.

It is true. I mean it's not a deciding factor, but it gets some play.

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Nammy puts 50 knot sustained over my summer house. StormSurge will have fun in that.

We’ll see. I was all ramped up for Tuesday’s winds & that was a snoozer. Obviously this is a different beast but I’m a little gunshy. 

The FIFD pager has been noticeably silent the past two weeks. I’m wondering if we’ll make up for it tomorrow if this verifies. Hopefully no trees on houses but some calls to remove a tree or two from a road would be nice. 

Let me know if you need me to check on your house. 

8 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

P&C MEH

Sunday
Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 68. Southeast wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 55. Breezy, with a southeast wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. West wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Bumped up siggy but still not cray cray

Sunday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Patchy fog. Steady temperature around 64. Breezy, with a southeast wind 14 to 19 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 59. Breezy, with a southwest wind 17 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The super fast motion has some isallobaric assist too locally. 

Ryan are you thinking of upping your wind forecast at all? Well, if you are on tonight that is...I had WRCH on at work today and they weren't even mentioning tomorrow night in the forecast. Just talked about rain developing with some wind tomorrow and a windy day on Monday but no mention of the potential for 60+ mph winds. 

GYX is playing conservative at Pit2

Rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 55. Breezy, with a southeast wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

7 minutes ago, StormSurge said:

We’ll see. I was all ramped up for Tuesday’s winds & that was a snoozer. Obviously this is a different beast but I’m a little gunshy. 

The FIFD pager has been noticeably silent the past two weeks. I’m wondering if we’ll make up for it tomorrow if this verifies. Hopefully no trees on houses but some calls to remove a tree or two from a road would be nice. 

Let me know if you need me to check on your house. 

Much appreciated. Will do.

7 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

GYX is playing conservative at Pit2

Rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 55. Breezy, with a southeast wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

They are too far north and east. This is more a SNE deal 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Taylor swift gets raked...it's actually starting to look like east coastal MA could get clipped by that stinger a little. Well have to see. 

it's weird!  it's like this is a coastal bomb acting the part of an actual hurricane... heavy rain west, kiting roof shingles east

Archived