Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Winds tend to suck here but this has a chance of not doing so. Winds look impressive above the deck, how much will they mix down is the question.....

They look impressive many times off the deck...the issue is they very rarely get mixed down it seems(along the coast different story) for us inland folks.  I'm very skeptical on whether this is different?  That's why I said it'll most likely disappoint to Hoarfrosthubb...cuz they usually do.  But Time will tell, maybe this one is one of the few exceptions?

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Sitting in the woods early on then walking them is awesome.

Probably will have to walk once the sun goes to work tomorrow.  For deer in winter fur, the progged high of 60 would be like us going out on a warm July day wearing a wool overcoat over our regular clothes.  Critters will seek the shade.  (And if it's clear tonight, the leaves will freeze and sound like walking on potato chips tomorrow morning.)

"Where I live any winds above 35mph are impressive. Hopefully this doesn’t disappoint "

I hope you're referring to sustained winds and not the random gust.

Last time I experienced sustained 35+ was 1991, with Bob. though last March came close.   in the 19+ years here, I've had one gust over 50 (maybe over 60 as well), June 12, 2005.  Just not a real windy place.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Probably will have to walk once the sun goes to work tomorrow.  For deer in winter fur, the progged high of 60 would be like us going out on a warm July day wearing a wool overcoat over our regular clothes.  Critters will seek the shade.  (And if it's clear tonight, the leaves will freeze and sound like walking on potato chips tomorrow morning.)

"Where I live any winds above 35mph are impressive. Hopefully this doesn’t disappoint "

I hope you're referring to sustained winds and not the random gust.

Last time I experienced sustained 35+ was 1991, with Bob. though last March came close.   in the 19+ years here, I've had one gust over 50 (maybe over 60 as well), June 12, 2005.  Just not a real windy place.

I typically will sit until 10-10:30 or so, Game cam has shown deer moving thru my area at and around the 9-10:00 am range and again around 5:30-6:00 pm

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh yes it is pretty impressive...does it get down to the surface??  Many/most times it does not...something always seems to save us from a big wind event it seems.  

If we can keep the sfc warm enough and maybe throw in a little convective rain, we could see some pretty good gusts mix down. We start fighting the penchant for inversions this late in the season...so you want to see variables that may help keep the inversions either weaker or overcome them.

We had an event in late October 2006 during the SNE wx conference that had a LLJ below 900mb of over 100 knots and it ended up being a disappointment...but we all still went outside at the site and heard the jet engines roaring overhead.

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Everything seems to have trended a smidge weaker overnight. Euro and UKMet now ~980 hpa close to NYC vs low 970s. 

Will winds be a case of pure mb strength though?

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Still impressive though. That's also wind, not gusts....

Agree, sustained above looks potent. Ginx and dit may get their wish.

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Seems that is usually the trend as we close in...models are many times over zealous with their strength three, four plus days out, then come back to reality as we close in.  Not surprising.

They tend to seek out perfect atmosheric conditions in big storms and over simulate it at this lead time. They do it with hurricanes too.

Once in a while though it becomes reality. But banking on it, you might as well just move in with James and write a novel together. 

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

On Monday you and I can post about how the wind sounded like a freight train in the sky but just a rickshaw at ground level.  

Yea. But you can see it not wanting to crank the wind even at 2.3k up, near the low, in sw ct already. 

I’d have to go to BDR to hear the jets above.

Archived