• Member Statistics

    15,529
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
hlcater

November 2017 Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

Mouth watering.....I have looked at SO many of the snowfall maps for the Tug area this year, and couldn't decide where would be best. Funny...my wife and I were JUST joking about living in Mexico. We lived in Canada for 2 years, so we thought it would be funny to say we lived in Canada, the U.S, AND Mexico! :P It is tough to know what areas are best because there aren't a lot of spotters in that area. So Mexico is probably the snowiest town/city in the Tug? I know Redfield and just east get more, but there aren't really any opportunities. I would LOVE to be a Tug Hill spotter/reporter!

 

On another note...had some nice snow showers here today. It was fun to work out In them.

Redfield averages 300"+ per year. It has a population of 550 people, not much at all there. I would try to stick close to places that are along Interstate 81 which gets you to the cities of Oswego, Fulton, Syracuse, Utica pretty quickly. Syracuse is an actual city with 150k people and some decent jobs which you can get to from Mexico/Pulaski pretty quickly. Redfield/Sandy creek would be quite a drive to get there. It really depends on what you're looking for. Hooker is another good spot I would say is 2nd to Redfield. They still hold the record for snowfall in one year east of Rockies at 466.9" in 76-77. So Redfield/Hooker if you want to go to places with most snowfall and retention as places closer to Ontario have quite a bit of thaws and much lower elevation. Pulaski/Mexico/Oswego/Fulton/Parish to be close to civilization and modern conveniences. But this is getting pretty off topic, probably better for banter forum. Redfield New York during a LES. If this isn't impressive I don't know what is. ^_^

The only place in WNY that can even come close to what the tug has to offer is Perrysburg and South Dayton, both average 200"+ a year. They have really good elevation. 45-50 mins from Buffalo and hour and 15 to Erie PA. Both of these places would be really close to her parents, 30-45 minute drive from NW PA. 

Image result for redfield snow pictures

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yes, that fire hose of snow into Tug Hill will always win.

I'd love to experience a Tug Hill event.  The firehose that can set up off of southern Lake Michigan with northerly flow can be pretty good (I had one in March that dumped 4"+ in an hour), but it's just not as common and the best Ontario band will beat the best Lake Michigan band.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd love to experience a Tug Hill event.  The firehose that can set up off of southern Lake Michigan with northerly flow can be pretty good (I had one in March that dumped 4"+ in an hour), but it's just not as common and the best Ontario band will beat the best Lake Michigan band.  

Lake Ontario when it gets going full throttle can produce rates of 12" in one hour verified from Lakeeffectking himself. You can get a 3 lake connection from Superior/Huron/Ontario and then it lifts up the Tug Hill via orographic lift and just dumps. You can kind of see it in this picture.

Lake_Effect_Snow_on_Earth.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Lake Ontario when it gets going full throttle can produce rates of 12" in one hour verified from Lakeeffectking himself. You can get a 3 lake connection from Superior/Huron/Ontario and then it lifts up the Tug Hill via orographic lift and just dumps. You can kind of see it in this picture.

Lake_Effect_Snow_on_Earth.jpg

Most I've heard of off Lake Michigan is 8" in an hour, though I think there was some question about that measurement. Regarding Lake Michigan, obviously get the connection with Superior in northerly flow events but not an additional lake, and just don't have the kind of elevation changes to add to the lift.  The area downwind of Ontario is just designed perfectly for mammoth rates.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, forkyfork said:

tug hill megabands > lake superior nickel and dime streamers

Nah. I thought about this a lot. I have no interest in a place that is warmer than Moscow on average.

Maybe you get epic snow. Maybe you're the Davis, WV of the LES world.

But you're still averaging high temperatures near and around freezing all winter and you can't hold a snow depth higher than YQB.

I doubt you can even beat Lake Placid/Saranac Lake when it comes down to it...(snowcover)

 

It's like Aomori vs Hokkaido, only a nudge colder down the fake effect scale.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Nah. I thought about this a lot. I have no interest in a place that is warmer than Moscow on average.

Maybe you get epic snow. Maybe you're the Davis, WV of the LES world.

But you're still averaging high temperatures near and around freezing all winter and you can't hold a snow depth higher than YQB.

I doubt you can even beat Lake Placid/Saranac Lake when it comes down to it...(snowcover)

 

It's like Aomori vs Hokkaido, only a nudge colder down the fake effect scale.

 

 

Redfield elevation is 1,138' and averages over 300" a year. Saranac lake/Lake placid has an elevation of 1545' and averages a little over 100" a year. Redfield is a cold climate, you must be thinking of those closer to the lake plain, they keep snow on the ground all winter. I've been to almost all the towns on the tug as well as most places in the Adirondacks several times. You're greatly misinformed about the tugs/dacks climate. Also, talk to me when you receive 141" in 10 days with 5" per hour snowfall rates and see if you don't change your mind. ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Were you with Nick (OSU) during that at Oswego? I believe he was still in school during that. 

i was with the les chase group on the old easternuswx forums. randy, weather53, zwyts, huffmakd, stormchaser chuck, and others i don't remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, forkyfork said:

i was with the les chase group on the old easternuswx forums. randy, weather53, zwyts, huffmakd, stormchaser chuck, and others i don't remember

Awesome! I remember following you guys when you were placing some sort of radar in the bands? Do you still have the link to that page and it's data?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Redfield elevation is 1,138' and averages over 300" a year. Saranac lake/Lake placid has an elevation of 1545' and averages a little over 100" a year. Redfield is a cold climate, you must be thinking of those closer to the lake plain, they keep snow on the ground all winter. I've been to almost all the towns on the tug as well as most places in the Adirondacks several times. You're greatly misinformed about the tugs/dacks climate. Also, talk to me when you receive 141" in 10 days with 5" per hour snowfall rates and see if you don't change your mind. ^_^

Wrong. I was living in Fort Kent at the time and making regular trips between Maine and Cleveland with my wife. First off - Fort Kent regularly had snow recreational events from upper New York rescheduled to Northern Maine and Quebec at the time.

Second, I drove through Lowville to Watertown to Redfield literally every winter JUST TO SEE how it was - and the snow depth was significantly lower than places back east around the St John Valley and northern Nova Scotia/Cape Breton Island -- normally even lower than Pittsburg NH and Rangeley - Jackman, Maine (A long stretch)

For some reason the depth always lacked once you got past Old Forge (which was still lack luster)

 

Biggest surprise? Move to the Gaspe. You'd be shocked how much better the winter is there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Redfield elevation is 1,138' and averages over 300" a year. Saranac lake/Lake placid has an elevation of 1545' and averages a little over 100" a year. Redfield is a cold climate, you must be thinking of those closer to the lake plain, they keep snow on the ground all winter. I've been to almost all the towns on the tug as well as most places in the Adirondacks several times. You're greatly misinformed about the tugs/dacks climate. Also, talk to me when you receive 141" in 10 days with 5" per hour snowfall rates and see if you don't change your mind. ^_^

ps - I've seen over 5" per hour several times in my life. Whether it was Maine, Chardon/Painesville, Ohio or here in Calumet (37 inches of snow in 9 hours ----- after getting several feet of snow in the days before.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS - I measured nearly 70 inches of snow cover in St Agatha, Maine in 2008.

 

It's pronounced 'Saint Uh Gat'

 

And I've never seen deeper depths outside of Hokkaido....but yeah, we got less than 200 inches of snow that year in St Agatha, Maine.

And you don't count if you live in Alta or Cooke City bc God hates you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it won't even reach 50 tomorrow morning. HRRR barely gets me into the upper 40s before the cold front sweeps through and temps start to tank. :axe:

This is even worse than Oct 2009...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 5:31 PM, cmillzz said:

Looks like it won't even reach 50 tomorrow morning. HRRR barely gets me into the upper 40s before the cold front sweeps through and temps start to tank. :axe:

This is even worse than Oct 2009...

Yeah, I might be in trouble with my prediction if SBN doesn't make 50 tomorrow, as the next chance may not be for a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2016 at 11:14 AM, Willh said:

Hold him under water in the tub.

I hear that that quote ^ means that someone is getting more snow than someone else, so "let him die."

rather, he says, "moms, dads, childrens, immunorestricted individuals, god hates u. Zyklon B."
 

I would just like to extend my concern to the "tarantulas and spiders" my husband is worried about, and say that if he sees a spider, he will have his wife deal with it.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

ps - I've seen over 5" per hour several times in my life. Whether it was here, Chardon/Painesville, Ohio or here in Calumet (37 inches of snow in 9 hours ----- after getting several feet of snow in the days before.)

I could have moved to any snow belt I chose when I left Indiana, but in my humble opinion, you can't beat a UP/Lake Superior winter with  200-250" of snow (occasionally 300") and average highs in the low-20's. Yes, the Erie and Ontario belts are impressive, especially if you live for the extreme events a few times a season.  Too far south for me, surrounded by too much population, and way too prone to long thaws... that's not to diminish the impressiveness those belts are, they're just different.  SW lower MI wasn't even a starter for me for all of those same reasons and the fact that they lack any significant upslope component... that's like the turbo boost to any lake belt. Here, routinely, a 3-5" clipper can result in a foot and a half of snow.  In mid-winter, at times it's hard to tell when one snow ends and another snow starts.  The longevity, depth of cold, snowfall and snow cover, I feel makes the UP the best place east of the Rockies for winter weather, but that's just me.

Rain/drizzle earlier with a high of 34, but snowing like heck tonight.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.