Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2017 Discussion

hlcater

10 hours ago, Jonger said:

I just want a continental flow... no more Pacific air.

Meh. It's been cold overall since about the end of October. Next week should be quite mild but your post reads like we've been stuck with Pacific air when in reality it's been a cold month here. I know the cold November has tricked some people into thinking we are into Winter already. I've heard comments about how they're surprised there hasn't been a big snowstorm yet. My response is that it's only November. lol

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting variation in temps this morning, as some low lying areas are a good 10-15 degrees colder than higher areas.  Muscatine was 28 at 6am, while MLI/DVN was 44/42 respectively.  MLI up to 45 already while it's still only 36 here.  

DVN wrote one heck of a long disco for such a benign weather pattern.  Pretty impressive.

Beast afd.

ORD is going to have to pick up the pace a little to get to my predicted high temp. Should Chicago reach 60, it would not be that unusual for this late in the year.  In fact, it has happened 129 times from 11/24 through 12/31, so almost once per year on average.

9 hours ago, cmillzz said:

Looks pretty meh to me even if it were to verify.

I think most fans of winter would take something like that over what's happening now lol

Theoretically as the cold comes east in December (eventually), the Midwest should get a crack at a winter storm before areas farther east.  

We are not talking about impactful weather, but this is one of those days that shows there's still very much a role for human interpretation/good experience in meteorology. Everything has been underdone with temps (some models worse than others) at least in the IA/IL area.  Even so, you can still find yourself playing catch up.

8 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'm afraid the state of Michigan will have no base on December 15th.

Honestly suspect that anywhere outside the lake belts will have a base. First week of December looking a bit rough. Though maybe that will flip for the better, since both of the last 2 winters were off to the races in the first week of December and ended up as mega turds.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We are not talking about impactful weather, but this is one of those days that shows there's still very much a role for human interpretation/good experience in meteorology. Everything has been underdone with temps (some models worse than others) at least in the IA/IL area.  Even so, you can still find yourself playing catch up.

Today was an obvious candidate for overachieving.  Everything lined up for extreme warmth.... warm start, warm mid-level air, gusty sw wind, bone-dry ground, cloudless sky, pre-fropa warming.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Today was an obvious candidate for overachieving.  Everything lined up for extreme warmth.... warm start, warm mid-level air, gusty sw wind, bone-dry ground, cloudless sky, pre-fropa warming.

Yeah, basically a warmer version of this past Monday, but this time warm enough to break some daily records.

MLI destroyed the old record of 66 with a high of 72.  Hit 70 here after starting at 29.  Fantastic day even with the strong southwest winds.  Lots of blowing dust out in the open country earlier.  Probably from many of the fields that have been overturned recently.

EDIT:  Wow Iowa City hit 74.

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Car had 62 earlier. A warm thanksgiving weekend for sure. Bo complaining a 8” snowdepth disappearing in NOVEMBER ;) most of us will see that in the heart of winter. 

Nah... didn't complain at all.  Just surprised at how warm it was today... initial forecasted high was 44.  I actually enjoyed the temps and early day sun and did some Christmas decorating, grilled out even.

High topped out at 52, but down to 38 with some light rain currently.  Looks like another sneaky warm day here next Tuesday, 45 forecasted already.

Took these pics right before it got too dark.  On average 4" left.  It'll be back.

IMG_3752.thumb.JPG.d327d165bce7fa10383037e9f373c73c.JPG

IMG_3759.thumb.JPG.a1fba22a1ff2cc3e99f5cd19c5b3f24c.JPG

On 11/23/2017 at 2:02 PM, Hoosier said:

I'll go 68 at MLI and 62 at ORD tomorrow. Was tempted to even go a little warmer but that is already significantly above guidance.

Well, should've indeed gone warmer.  MLI ended up 4 degrees warmer and ORD 1 degree warmer.  

Was working outside earlier and happened to be underneath a tree branch that came down in a gust.  Enough to give me a cut on the head but fortunately the branch wasn't bigger.

6 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Nah... didn't complain at all.  Just surprised at how warm it was today... initial forecasted high was 44.  I actually enjoyed the temps and early day sun and did some Christmas decorating, grilled out even.

High topped out at 52, but down to 38 with some light rain currently.  Looks like another sneaky warm day here next Tuesday, 45 forecasted already.

Took these pics right before it got too dark.  On average 4" left.  It'll be back.

IMG_3752.thumb.JPG.d327d165bce7fa10383037e9f373c73c.JPG

IMG_3759.thumb.JPG.a1fba22a1ff2cc3e99f5cd19c5b3f24c.JPG

Everything in weather is all relative anyway. An average Cincinnati Winter would be a top 10 least snowy Detroit Winter. So losing a snowpack, that's been in place since late October, might be a little on the rare side for the UP,  but no worries. Months of snow lie ahead.

45 minutes ago, DAFF said:

I'm enjoying this gradual switch to winter. Nothing worse than a quick cold snap and some accumulations followed by a hot mess like last season. The snow and cold will be here before long...

I am hoping for some colder overnight lows to get the ground nice and cold. Worst part about the winter of 2011-2012 was the immediate melting after any snowfall because the ground was so exceptionally warm.

On another note, 87 is Kansas today!?! Geesh.

Got up early to get on the slopes at alpine valley in WI before it turned in to a slop fest. With the cold earlier this week they were able to lay a nice base down. Turned in to a disaster, by 2 it was an icy slop fest, my 7 year old daughter biffed and broke her tibia. Needless to say, I wasn’t enjoying today’s warmth. When we left to head to the urgent care the car thermometer had 68 (east troy, wi)

29 minutes ago, krfd said:

Got up early to get on the slopes at alpine valley in WI before it turned in to a slop fest. With the cold earlier this week they were able to lay a nice base down. Turned in to a disaster, by 2 it was an icy slop fest, my 7 year old daughter biffed and broke her tibia. Needless to say, I wasn’t enjoying today’s warmth. When we left to head to the urgent care the car thermometer had 68 (east troy, wi)

Woah that sucks dude. I hope she's okay and Gets better quickly. No one should have to go through any of that process, it's awful through and through.

1 hour ago, krfd said:

That's a story she can tell for a long time: "I broke a bone falling on ice when it was 68 degrees." Not often you get to say something like that. Hoping for quick healing for her!

Archived