Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2017 Discussion

hlcater

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Snow and wind mean business tonight!  30 mph gust in the past 15 min along with moderate snow (if not hvy at times).  Intensity has def gotten steadier since around 745. An inch of new snow so far.

Nice! I will just continue to live through your reports until winter sets in here. :) I am pretty excited myself...as my wife is actually considering a "yes" to living in the Lake Ontario snowbelt...Oswego County...but I am nudging for Lewis County. Hopefully I will be able to give reports from the Tug Hill in the next couple years!!!!!! :)

10 hours ago, blackrock said:

Nice! I will just continue to live through your reports until winter sets in here. :) I am pretty excited myself...as my wife is actually considering a "yes" to living in the Lake Ontario snowbelt...Oswego County...but I am nudging for Lewis County. Hopefully I will be able to give reports from the Tug Hill in the next couple years!!!!!! :)

Picked up and inch or so since late last night.

That would be awesome living in the Tug to exp the 3-5' events they get. You are able to find work in that area?

19 hours ago, blackrock said:

That would be amazing to have a poster from the Tug. We currently do not have any from there. We have one from Fulton, a bunch from Syracuse/Liverpool, and one occasional from Watertown. Redfield is the best spot for snow in the tug, but any of the big hitting towns will suffice. Mexico, Parish, Oswego, Lacuna, Pulaski.  Redfield averages 300+ per year. If you're looking to stay close to towns with work Mexico/Pulaski is probably the best. Mexico is only 25 minutes to Oswego, 22 minutes to Fulton, 35 mins to Syracuse. That's one of the best parts of the Tug. You can get 250-300" of snow per year and still have a job in the city of Syracuse and be close to modern conveniences. You'll get to enjoy events like this. 141" in 10 days.

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2006-2007&event=L 

Lake Effect Summary - Feb 03 2007 to Feb 12 2007 - Storm Total Snow Map

10 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Picked up and inch or so since late last night.

That would be awesome living in the Tug to exp the 3-5' events they get. You are able to find work in that area?

That is what I have been searching for over the past year. Being patient... :) We have things we need to get done on our house and prepare. It doesn't have to be an immediate move, and I have been daily checking for opportunities there. I have some business ideas in mind as well. Almost all of our family lives in Pennsylvania, so we want to be closer than a 10 hour drive away. My wife says we "must be near a Great Lake", and she doesn't want to be in Western NY because it will be TOO close to her mom in NW PA. (lol). So, I have been eating that up....and oh, what a coincidence, Lake Ontario would be perfect! haha...she agrees. I am psyched!

10 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I would love to experience the "firehose" snows of the Tug... can't imagine.  36" fell here in 48 hours 3 years ago, and pretty much blew my mind.

Stayed up as late as I could watching the snow and wind with the floodlights on outside (wind and snow combo made it worth it)... woke up to 4".  

Me too! I am really hoping to find something by Redfield!

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That would be amazing to have a poster from the Tug. We currently do not have any from there. We have one from Fulton, a bunch from Syracuse/Liverpool, and one occasional from Watertown. Redfield is the best spot for snow in the tug, but any of the big hitting towns will suffice. Mexico, Parish, Oswego, Lacuna, Pulaski.  Redfield averages 300+ per year. If you're looking to stay close to towns with work Mexico/Pulaski is probably the best. Mexico is only 25 minutes to Oswego, 22 minutes to Fulton, 35 mins to Syracuse. That's one of the best parts of the Tug. You can get 250-300" of snow per year and still have a job in the city of Syracuse and be close to modern conveniences. You'll get to enjoy events like this. 141" in 10 days.

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2006-2007&event=L 

Lake Effect Summary - Feb 03 2007 to Feb 12 2007 - Storm Total Snow Map

Mouth watering.....I have looked at SO many of the snowfall maps for the Tug area this year, and couldn't decide where would be best. Funny...my wife and I were JUST joking about living in Mexico. We lived in Canada for 2 years, so we thought it would be funny to say we lived in Canada, the U.S, AND Mexico! :P It is tough to know what areas are best because there aren't a lot of spotters in that area. So Mexico is probably the snowiest town/city in the Tug? I know Redfield and just east get more, but there aren't really any opportunities. I would LOVE to be a Tug Hill spotter/reporter!

On another note...had some nice snow showers here today. It was fun to work out In them.

2 minutes ago, Willh said:

Why not move to the UP...esp around the Keweenaw and the Huron Mountains. You're close to places you can work, you can easily find areas with 250+ inch per year averages - and it's cold enough that the snow doesn't turn to slush all winter. There's a reason a place like Fort Kent, Maine, with just over 100 inches of snowfall almost always has more snow on the ground than the Tug Hill Plateau - it gets warm down there.

Oh, I agree. I would move to the Keweenaw in a HEARTBEAT...but it is way too far north for the wife. She would live in Georgia in a heartbeat. (Bleck!) Plus, we are looking at starting a family soon and want to be closer to family, not even farther away. So, ultimately, the Tug is an excellent option for us. We want to start a Bed and Breakfast...and the Tug definitely as people coming for recreational purposes! The "real" part of the Tug, extreme eastern Oswego county and western Lewis county are higher in elevation and far enough away from the milder lake influence to sustain snowcover through the winter. I have spent LOTS of time researching, googling, and drooling over lake effect prospects. :P

10 minutes ago, Willh said:

Why not move to the UP...esp around the Keweenaw and the Huron Mountains. You're close to places you can work, you can easily find areas with 250+ inch per year averages - and it's cold enough that the snow doesn't turn to slush all winter. There's a reason a place like Fort Kent, Maine, with just over 100 inches of snowfall almost always has more snow on the ground than the Tug Hill Plateau - it gets warm down there.

By the way...we checked out Fort Kent YEARS ago as a potential place to live...because I had read your posts and saw your pictures when you lived up there. Neat area, very friendly people, and good food! I found it very interesting how the frozen lakes turn into roads for automobile traffic to drive on.

27 minutes ago, Willh said:

I must've got really lucky last winter. Got 37+ inches of snow in literally 9 hours. That was on top of a huge amount of snow from the days just before. (And...only 2 inches of snow were forecasted that night. Had a band connect right over us funneling off Bayfield, WI)

This was shortly after that -

jjj.jpg

I wouldn't expect 37 inches in 9 hours every year, but no doubt we live in one of the snowiest places in the US east of the Rockies. Usually one of the first to have snow in fall and sometimes, often enough, the last with lingering snow in spring,but there is no work up here outside of mining and logging, or of course if your own business. There's a reason the cost of living is so cheap. Plus the jobs that are here only pay a fraction of what downstate would.. And those mostly belong to the good ol boy system.

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

Mouth watering.....I have looked at SO many of the snowfall maps for the Tug area this year, and couldn't decide where would be best. Funny...my wife and I were JUST joking about living in Mexico. We lived in Canada for 2 years, so we thought it would be funny to say we lived in Canada, the U.S, AND Mexico! :P It is tough to know what areas are best because there aren't a lot of spotters in that area. So Mexico is probably the snowiest town/city in the Tug? I know Redfield and just east get more, but there aren't really any opportunities. I would LOVE to be a Tug Hill spotter/reporter!

On another note...had some nice snow showers here today. It was fun to work out In them.

Redfield averages 300"+ per year. It has a population of 550 people, not much at all there. I would try to stick close to places that are along Interstate 81 which gets you to the cities of Oswego, Fulton, Syracuse, Utica pretty quickly. Syracuse is an actual city with 150k people and some decent jobs which you can get to from Mexico/Pulaski pretty quickly. Redfield/Sandy creek would be quite a drive to get there. It really depends on what you're looking for. Hooker is another good spot I would say is 2nd to Redfield. They still hold the record for snowfall in one year east of Rockies at 466.9" in 76-77. So Redfield/Hooker if you want to go to places with most snowfall and retention as places closer to Ontario have quite a bit of thaws and much lower elevation. Pulaski/Mexico/Oswego/Fulton/Parish to be close to civilization and modern conveniences. But this is getting pretty off topic, probably better for banter forum. Redfield New York during a LES. If this isn't impressive I don't know what is. ^_^

The only place in WNY that can even come close to what the tug has to offer is Perrysburg and South Dayton, both average 200"+ a year. They have really good elevation. 45-50 mins from Buffalo and hour and 15 to Erie PA. Both of these places would be really close to her parents, 30-45 minute drive from NW PA. 

Image result for redfield snow pictures

27 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yes, that fire hose of snow into Tug Hill will always win.

I'd love to experience a Tug Hill event.  The firehose that can set up off of southern Lake Michigan with northerly flow can be pretty good (I had one in March that dumped 4"+ in an hour), but it's just not as common and the best Ontario band will beat the best Lake Michigan band.  

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd love to experience a Tug Hill event.  The firehose that can set up off of southern Lake Michigan with northerly flow can be pretty good (I had one in March that dumped 4"+ in an hour), but it's just not as common and the best Ontario band will beat the best Lake Michigan band.  

Lake Ontario when it gets going full throttle can produce rates of 12" in one hour verified from Lakeeffectking himself. You can get a 3 lake connection from Superior/Huron/Ontario and then it lifts up the Tug Hill via orographic lift and just dumps. You can kind of see it in this picture.

Lake_Effect_Snow_on_Earth.jpg

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Lake Ontario when it gets going full throttle can produce rates of 12" in one hour verified from Lakeeffectking himself. You can get a 3 lake connection from Superior/Huron/Ontario and then it lifts up the Tug Hill via orographic lift and just dumps. You can kind of see it in this picture.

Lake_Effect_Snow_on_Earth.jpg

Most I've heard of off Lake Michigan is 8" in an hour, though I think there was some question about that measurement. Regarding Lake Michigan, obviously get the connection with Superior in northerly flow events but not an additional lake, and just don't have the kind of elevation changes to add to the lift.  The area downwind of Ontario is just designed perfectly for mammoth rates.

Archived