Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

2 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Yep, watching the  Colts/Bills game on tv.  I don't care who wins.  I'm just enjoying the LES and the players slip slidin' away.

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Wish they were showing the Bills game here, instead its Vikings sigh...

I'm surprised we didn't get Colts/Bills in our area (the first Bears win in ages was on Fox earlier).  That would have also been something I would have wanted to see other than the OT (and the game winning TD as I'm typing this). 

Now if the Colts were better than 3-9, I am sure that our CBS affiliate, WCIA Champaign, would have been assigned that game for Central Illinois.  When the Colts were good and the Bears had a Fox game on at the same time, it seems like CBS treated the Champaign/Decatur/Springfield market (and to some extent Peoria) like a secondary market for the Colts (IIRC Warren County, Indiana might have actually been in the Champaign TV market in recent years, but not sure if they still are today).  Especially once the Rams tanked and eventually left for LA.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually don't watch much football anymore, but had to check out the Bills/Colts from beginning to end. Really cool.

Buffaloweather, if I remember right from being in the area a couple of years ago, isn't Rich Stadium (or whatever the heck it's called now) just a couple of miles from Hamburg?

EDIT: I was told that you get tickets for $5.00. I would have gone if I was in the area.

19 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I usually don't watch much football anymore, but had to check out the Bills/Colts from beginning to end. Really cool.

Buffaloweather, if I remember right from being in the area a couple of years ago, isn't Rich Stadium (or whatever the heck it's called now) just a couple of miles from Hamburg?

EDIT: I was told that you get tickets for $5.00. I would have gone if I was in the area.

Yeah, about 5-6 miles north/northeast of Hamburg. 

9 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Latest NAM meso showing the extremely common, Lake Nipigon - Superior - Lake Mi - Central Indian - South Ohio LES band. 

Capture.PNG

I am right under that band! I would LOVE for that to happen. :)

BuffaloWeather, I would hate to live in Buffalo or Depew...and so often have to look at a dark cloud deck just to the south...knowing they are getting rocked. That's one thing I like about Lake Michigan. Although we usually don't get outrageous amounts like you guys do...lake effect snow is more "spread the wealth" here, rather than one dominant band. If it's a northerly flow, that's a different story. 

15 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Latest NAM meso showing the extremely common, Lake Nipigon - Superior - Lake Mi - Central Indian - South Ohio LES band. 

Capture.PNG

Think it's been there for a few runs now. Local met talked about it saying the areas here that get under that band could see decent accumulations. 

8 minutes ago, blackrock said:

I am right under that band! I would LOVE for that to happen. :)

BuffaloWeather, I would hate to live in Buffalo or Depew...and so often have to look at a dark cloud deck just to the south...knowing they are getting rocked. That's one thing I like about Lake Michigan. Although we usually don't get outrageous amounts like you guys do...lake effect snow is more "spread the wealth" here, rather than one dominant band. If it's a northerly flow, that's a different story. 

It's only single bands in a WSW/SW flow. The majority of the time it's W/NW flow which leads to multiple bands that add up slowly over time. There has been many events in which the city and northtowns get hit, but just not as many as the southtowns do.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's only single bands in a WSW/SW flow. The majority of the time it's W/NW flow which leads to multiple bands that add up slowly over time. There has been many events in which the city and northtowns get hit, but just not as many as the southtowns do.

Just perused your area's thread (Upstate NY) and it looks like some exciting snow bands moving through there today...through Wednesday! I enjoyed seeing the pictures and videos.

The NWS are pretty confident that the coast lines are going to get thumped pretty good. The NNW winds will have a strong tap to Lake Sup, not much for my area but congratz to any coastline guys. This should help Munsining area build there snow pack when of my favorite riding areas. I bet some areas in Alger county see 2' easily. 

ndfd_snow_michigan_60.png

4 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

WRF-NMM to Fort Wayne: Hi

wrf-nmm_asnow_ncus_48 2.png

Interesting snow forecast for tomorrow. The WRF-NMM is exciting, but the 12k/3k NAM is more realistic. Getting any more than 1-2" from lake effect snow this far inland is pretty rare, so I'm pretty interested to see which model ends up having a better overall handle on the details. 

8 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

Interesting snow forecast for tomorrow. The WRF-NMM is exciting, but the 12k/3k NAM is more realistic. Getting any more than 1-2" from lake effect snow this far inland is pretty rare, so I'm pretty interested to see which model ends up having a better overall handle on the details. 

The dates don't come to me right now, but I do remember at least two instances where a dominate band with a Superior connection clobbered both FWA and DAY. Pretty rare though.

27 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

The dates don't come to me right now, but I do remember at least two instances where a dominate band with a Superior connection clobbered both FWA and DAY. Pretty rare though.

Spoke to Lonnie at IWX and picked his brain for a bit. Truly a complicated forecast. FWA could get warning criteria, advisory criteria, or HWO criteria snows, it just all depends on where those dominant bands set up. 

And to think I have to put a snow map together this afternoon lol!

13 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

Spoke to Lonnie at IWX and picked his brain for a bit. Truly a complicated forecast. FWA could get warning criteria, advisory criteria, or HWO criteria snows, it just all depends on where those dominant bands set up. 

I think you know how APX/Mqt/ and Buf feel trying to with the best accuracy forecast LES. if you wrong on either end you will get serious flack.  All it takes is a shift in winds or lack of a shift and 1" can become 1'+ real easy.

5 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

I think you know how APX/Mqt/ and Buf feel trying to with the best accuracy forecast LES. if you wrong on either end you will get serious flack.  All it takes is a shift in winds or lack of a shift and 1" can become 1'+ real easy.

That is precisely my fear haha! My ranges are going to be fairly broad (I try to forecast only 2" increments in my snow maps, but lake effect obviously makes that impossible), and the good ol' "+" at the end of a range of numbers is also a nice buffer, since that lets everyone know more is possible. 

But I fully expect some disappointed/angry/upset/excited people by the end of day tomorrow regardless. Can't wait! 

19 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

Lol. Yes, I feel for you. Especially with those narrow streamers such as depicted on some of the high-res, as Josh says, can make a big difference in amounts.

You also have to deal with the fact that with that wide variance of totals just within your forecast area, Joe Public viewer may not understand that when you say the possibility of 4-6", you may not be speaking of their specific back yard, but somewhere 40 miles from them. Then they get upset because they only got 1".

I just noticed that the 3km NAM depict a Lake Michigan streamer extending well into West Virginia. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Also, Hoosier picked a bad time to go MIA. I'd like to hear his take on the LES, even though the bands will be well east of him. Looks to me like someone in SW Lower might see 12" with winds up to 40.

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I just noticed that the 3km NAM depict a Lake Michigan streamer extending well into West Virginia. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Also, Hoosier picked a bad time to go MIA. I'd like to hear his take on the LES, even though the bands will be well east of him. Looks to me like someone in SW Lower might see 12" with winds up to 40.

I haven't really looked that much.  The modeled inland extent does look impressive.

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Lol. Yes, I feel for you. Especially with those narrow streamers such as depicted on some of the high-res, as Josh says, can make a big difference in amounts.

You also have to deal with the fact that with that wide variance of totals just within your forecast area, Joe Public viewer may not understand that when you say the possibility of 4-6", you may not be speaking of their specific back yard, but somewhere 40 miles from them. Then they get upset because they only got 1".

This is what I came up with! *Crosses fingers*

snow map.JPG

Archived