Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical mid-winter look in this part of the UP.  I'm not at all surprised Superior is in rapid freeze mode... it's been cold.  High today was 4, it's currently 2.  Well below zero last night and probably for the next week, with single digit and low teen highs. Otherwise, with all the action suppressed south, going to be a quiet week.

Snowpack here a very dense 31" (5-6" liquid), with 2.5-3' pretty common locally as I was out today. Less down in Negaunee with 22-25".  

NW part of the UP in great shape depth wise.  

ssm_depth.2018020419.0_600_450._13190_4950._13038_5153_dem.shading_il.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.png.731794857c7724c90868c0dd22a36922.png

Backyard sunrise

IMG_1314.thumb.JPG.ba0486852a031c6d0ba1ce18865cf6a6.JPG

A few miles from my house measured 34" along side the road.

IMG_4207.JPG.dd0c1565c2dc4767597ded7f51b30e66.JPG

IMG_4210.thumb.JPG.4b351cc761ff93fc88014d2f7dba9410.JPG

NIce pics Bo, with the rapid ice up many areas the LES is gonna be shutoff until next Fall including the Keweenaw and most of NWL.  Not nothing new, as we do usually ice up before end of Feb but a little disappointing with the overall LES performance this year. We had only about two weeks of great LES this year, heck January had only about 10" which is near record low for my area.  Peak snow depth has been about 22" which is also way below norm, usually hit low 30's for a period during winter.  

15 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

NIce pics Bo, with the rapid ice up many areas the LES is gonna be shutoff until next Fall including the Keweenaw and most of NWL.  Not nothing new, as we do usually ice up before end of Feb but a little disappointing with the overall LES performance this year. We had only about two weeks of great LES this year, heck January had only about 10" which is near record low for my area.  Peak snow depth has been about 22" which is also way below norm, usually hit low 30's for a period during winter.  

The lack of systems AGAIN this winter has been frustrating as well. With the ice build up and bone dry west flow, nothing to talk about for me.  I do know there's a ton of winter left this far north and I'm not ready to call it a dud yet. Clear skies, calm winds and -8 this evening.  The stars are incredible!

10 hours ago, weatherbo said:

The lack of systems AGAIN this winter has been frustrating as well. With the ice build up and bone dry west flow, nothing to talk about for me.  I do know there's a ton of winter left this far north and I'm not ready to call it a dud yet. Clear skies, calm winds and -8 this evening.  The stars are incredible!

Been that way the past few years for synoptic events, seems to becoming an alarming trend.

12 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Seems the "DGZ not favorable for heavy lake effect" has been a common read in the GRR NWS discussion this winter. Thankful for MANY lake enhanced events this winter. Most of our snow has been enhancement.

25 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Seems the "DGZ not favorable for heavy lake effect" has been a common read in the GRR NWS discussion this winter. Thankful for MANY lake enhanced events this winter. Most of our snow has been enhancement.

Same problem up this way, but actually our biggest issue has been the 850 flow direction, have had an usually high amount of N or NNW flow events, where in most average winters we more commonly we receive NW or WNW events which has drastically reduced our snow inland of NWL michigan.

6 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Same problem up this way, but actually our biggest issue has been the 850 flow direction, have had an usually high amount of N or NNW flow events, where in most average winters we more commonly we receive NW or WNW events which has drastically reduced our snow inland of NWL michigan.

Yes, all those systems going to our southeast and up the east coast create lots of northerly and northeasterly winds for our area of the Great Lakes. It has been quite awhile since West Michigan has had a good West Wind Lake Effect event.

You guys sure have missed out on lots of synoptic snow. It seems a new pattern has started this decade with the track for good synoptic snowfall favoring the Kalamazoo-Lansing-Ann Arbor-Detroit areas.

BTW, Lake effect snow has really started cranking here this morning. Definitely not expected...great dendrites.

25 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Yes, all those systems going to our southeast and up the east coast create lots of northerly and northeasterly winds for our area of the Great Lakes. It has been quite awhile since West Michigan has had a good West Wind Lake Effect event.

You guys sure have missed out on lots of synoptic snow. It seems a new pattern has started this decade with the track for good synoptic snowfall favoring the Kalamazoo-Lansing-Ann Arbor-Detroit areas.

BTW, Lake effect snow has really started cranking here this morning. Definitely not expected...great dendrites.

Yea. we have been in a W/NW since last night and have picked up a couple inches of snow, little surprised given the ice buildup on Northern Lower.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, hard to believe how dead this thread has been since Jan, just goes to show how bad the LES has been especially since the lakes froze over. The only consolation for the warm/ups and rain is the ice on Northern Lake Michigan has broke up and pushed farther north opening up Lake Mi for some LES, even parts of Green bay are cleared out now. With that being said we still would need a decent pattern to setup any LES which has been pretty rare this year.

UP.02.20180226.194221.jpg

26 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Man, hard to believe how dead this thread has been since Jan, just goes to show how bad the LES has been especially since the lakes froze over. The only consolation for the warm/ups and rain is the ice on Northern Lake Michigan has broke up and pushed farther north opening up Lake Mi for some LES, even parts of Green bay are cleared out now. With that being said we still would need a decent pattern to setup any LES which has been pretty rare this year.

UP.02.20180226.194221.jpg

Beach season will start early this year. Even Lake Erie is almost ice free. 

Archived