SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that this area is overlooked on the board due to not being in the snowmobile belt and very few posters in the area, but some nice numbers are rolling in from Northwest IN/Southwest Lower MI with much more to come.

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Northern Indiana
901 AM EST Fri Jan 5 2018

...Snowfall Totals Since 7 am Wednesday...

Location                     Amount    County/State              
1 SW La Porte                13.2 in   La Porte IN
1 WNW Buchanan               13.2 in   Berrien MI
2 SSE Stevensville           11.4 in   Berrien MI       
1 SW Fair Plain              10.5 in   Berrien MI      
South Bend                   9.7 in    St. Joseph IN       
1 ESE Hesston                8.0 in    La Porter IN        
3 ENE Gulivoire Park         6.0 in    St. Joseph IN       
Plymouth                     5.4 in    Marshall IN    

A couple days of NW winds have brought the squalls to London and region.   The snow has fallen predominately on the west end of the city and more to the localities just a few miles further west.   We've probably had between 6-10 inches here at home in the SW part of London in the last couple days.  There are reports of waist deep snow just to the NW of us.   It's been intermittent since Wed. and really nothing at all for the last 2 nights, but it's falling nicely now and has been for a few hours.   The EC records won't show much for this event, (not even sure they record snowfall anymore) as it is in the east end which has received very little compared to this end.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

I haven't heard much from the London area posters lately and was wondering how your area has been faring with the Huron bands.

We've missed a lot of the LES activity that others were getting earlier.   We get ours on NW winds that most posters hate........

Pretty nasty out right now.  A couple highway closures, including 402 that runs from here to Sarnia/Port Huron at the bottom of L Huron.

It's a  very dangerous road when the squalls are coming in. 

20180105_153212_resized.jpg

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I can imagine what 402 is like with snow squalls. I've driven the 401 and it's basically flat and wide open, so 402 near the lake must be horrible. Any way, glad to hear and nice pic.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/sarnia-drivers-rescued-from-snowed-in-highway-1.895579

The 402 is much worse, story from late 2010

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

You beat me to it......  that's a nice find - the article explains what happens when  402 meets squalls = trouble.  I believe it was closed starting yesterday afternoon.

5 hours ago, London snowsquall said:

You beat me to it......  that's a nice find - the article explains what happens when  402 meets squalls = trouble.  I believe it was closed starting yesterday afternoon.

A classic 402 closer. They've had a couple rounds of nasty squalls lately. Roads are also a mess up and down Huron County with at least 21 being closed. 

We have had a lot of lighter LES in Stratford so far. Some days we are picking up 2-3" even when radar looks mostly empty. A couple weeks ago a potent squall locked in over the city and along Hwy 8. Visibility was no more than 30 or so feet. Took me 50 minutes to drive 10 miles in it! 

But I'm still waiting for the big one. Seasonal total so far must be about 3 feet but there are no reporting stations in the area.

Gettin' real in LaPorte:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
956 AM EST SAT JAN 6 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0900 AM     HEAVY SNOW       1 SW LA PORTE           41.60N 86.73W
01/06/2018  M25.1 INCH       LA PORTE           IN   COCORAHS         

72 HOUR SNOW ACCUMULATION. 11.9 INCHES IN 
            THE LAST 24 HOURS. SNOW DEPTH 28 INCHES. 

34 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Gettin' real in LaPorte:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
956 AM EST SAT JAN 6 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0900 AM     HEAVY SNOW       1 SW LA PORTE           41.60N 86.73W
01/06/2018  M25.1 INCH       LA PORTE           IN   COCORAHS         

72 HOUR SNOW ACCUMULATION. 11.9 INCHES IN 
            THE LAST 24 HOURS. SNOW DEPTH 28 INCHES. 

Man, I could drive there in like 45 minutes.

Looks like a setup that could potentially favor several inches of lake effect snow on the western and southern end of Lake Michigan late this week and into the weekend.  Main limiting factor at this point looks like inversion heights as they don't look all that great, but most other factors look pretty good with lake-850 mb delta T in the upper teens to around 20C, long fetch, an upstream connection with Lake Superior and potentially decent duration, especially for west side of Lake Michigan standards.  

Keeping the disco for this in here unless it appears that the synoptic system is coming far enough northwest to make it into more of a lake enhanced vs pure lake effect setup.

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like a setup that could potentially favor several inches of lake effect snow on the western and southern end of Lake Michigan late this week and into the weekend.  Main limiting factor at this point looks like inversion heights as they don't look all that great, but most other factors look pretty good with lake-850 mb delta T in the upper teens to around 20C, long fetch, an upstream connection with Lake Superior and potentially decent duration, especially for west side of Lake Michigan standards.  

Keeping the disco for this in here unless it appears that the synoptic system is coming far enough northwest to make it into more of a lake enhanced vs pure lake effect setup.

The only thing here that makes me cringe is the number of times we've said this winter "looks like a decent set up for LES on the western side of the Lake." Now admittedly, this opportunity looks real and I'll be clinging to it dearly should the synoptic snows miss us to the east.

Knock on wood but I kinda like where I am for the lake effect potential.  Peak looks to be on Saturday, but it should be swinging west through here on Friday too.  May end up with a decent number of hours in snow even if not continuous. Relatively modest inversion heights continue to be main limiting factor but I still think someone here/nearby could pull off several inches, especially with the duration.  If the surface low trends west, then it may alter the wind fields enough to make the Illinois shore more favored. Either way, the IL/IN shores should both get in on this.

3 hours ago, homedis said:

Im hoping we get some lake action here this weekend, I leave for Champaign on Sunday :(

I'd be in real geek out mode if inversion heights were better.  Basically everything else is favorable though, even down to the omega/DGZ intersection which should favor nice dendrites.  If the band can lock in somewhere especially on Saturday when parameters are maximized, there could be some pretty good amounts.

NAMMW_850_rhum_075.png.25ef8879fd116da5bc46a422fd3cb9e7.png

Starting to get in range of the ARW and NMM.  ARW is farther west and has the plume hitting O'Hare at the end of the run.  NMM is farther east at that point.

Not saying this to benefit my backyard, but I have noticed a bit of a westward bias with the ARW over the years.  

wrf-arw_ref_frzn_ncus_48.thumb.png.a1949bb22af7edebb3cec3eca503c37c.png

wrf-nmm_ref_frzn_ncus_48.thumb.png.43f8c7d39045b56f19f32a96933c1e64.png

As of now, looking like a eastern half or third of Cook County extending well south in eastern IL for light accums up to a few inches (I went 1-3" in overnight forecast for Cook, Will, eastern Kankakee). 12z 3km NAM still has a nice duration of snow for that area tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. That area is subject to change, with a grazing possible if the convergence stays east enough.

Ground zero looks to be Lake and Porter County, with lighter snow starting tomorrow afternoon. The band is likely to wobble west tomorrow evening favoring the Lake County and then gradually pivot east Saturday. Officially in grids I have 2-4", but I wouldn't be surprised some places end up more than that with long duration, strong convergence and omega and good thermos despite lacking but improving inversion heights.

If we had 10kft+ inversion heights, this would likely be a warning criteria event.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

As of now, looking like a eastern half or third of Cook County extending well south in eastern IL for light accums up to a few inches (I went 1-3" in overnight forecast for Cook, Will, eastern Kankakee). 12z 3km NAM still has a nice duration of snow for that area tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. That area is subject to change, with a grazing possible if the convergence stays east enough.

Ground zero looks to be Lake and Porter County, with lighter snow starting tomorrow afternoon. The band is likely to wobble west tomorrow evening favoring the Lake County and then gradually pivot east Saturday. Officially in grids I have 2-4", but I wouldn't be surprised some places end up more than that with long duration, strong convergence and omega and good thermos despite lacking but improving inversion heights.

If we had 10kft+ inversion heights, this would likely be a warning criteria event.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2-4" seems well within reach for somebody.  Can always adjust up as it gets closer (if necessary).  Combined with the winds, going to be nice.  My property has decent exposure from the N/NE and I've been waiting to test it out as far as blowing/drifting, so I'm hoping to be in that 2-4" area and preferably more.  The snows that have occurred since I've been here have either been wet, fluffy with no wind, or very minor fluffy amounts with wind.

Archived