SnowHabit
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I have no words for this really...

I honestly wonder if this happens more often than is captured on camera...good convergence/surface vorticity with well-organized LES bands and steep lapse rates/good stretching potential over the warm waters...and strong LES bands have been documented to have miso-vorts evident on radar.  It's always incredible to see, you just don't think waterspout/tornado when it's 15 degrees.  

Just now, OHweather said:

I honestly wonder if this happens more often than is captured on camera...good convergence/surface vorticity with well-organized LES bands and steep lapse rates/good stretching potential over the warm waters...and strong LES bands have been documented to have miso-vorts evident on radar.  It's always incredible to see, you just don't think waterspout/tornado when it's 15 degrees.  

Yeah, I would have to imagine it does, though for it to be captured on film. Extremely rare to say the least.

5 minutes ago, OHweather said:

I think there's little question about it. This one was in a good spot to get noticed as it was near the shore.  Think of what happens farther out away from shore... and you're not going to have people viewing on the beach or boating like you would in warmer months.

The lake effect targeting Erie, PA this month has been incredible...but I said it before and I will say it again. There is something clearly wrong with the data. I dont know if its slant sticking, making up a too-high liquid pcp number since asos is too low (rather than using a snow can), or being way low on snow depth. The data being provided - liquid equivalent + snowfall + snow depth - are meteorologically impossible combined.

And the rich get richer. Erie getting another foot.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Cleveland OH
340 PM EST Sun Dec 31 2017

...Lake Effect and Arctic Chill Continue...

.Arctic air continues to flow into northern Ohio and northwest
Pennsylvania. The combination of the cold air and well aligned
wind flow will cause lake effect snow bands to develop off Lake
Erie later tonight behind another arctic cold front. The band of
lake effect snow is once again expected to develop across the lake
shore counties of Lake, Ashtabula, and Erie Counties late tonight
and continue into Monday. Brisk winds and falling temperatures
tonight will cause dangerously cold wind chills across much of the
area.

PAZ002-010445-
/O.NEW.KCLE.WS.A.0006.180101T0900Z-180102T1200Z/
Southern Erie-
Including the city of Edinboro
340 PM EST Sun Dec 31 2017

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY
MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow possible. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions causing snow covered roads and low visibilities.
  Total snow accumulations of 8 to 11 inches are possible.

* WHERE...Southern Erie county.

* WHEN...From late tonight through Tuesday morning.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Significant reductions in visibility are
  possible. Cold wind chills as low as 8 below zero will cause
  frostbite in a short period of time to exposed skin.

NWUS53 KIWX 312124
LSRIWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
424 PM EST SUN DEC 31 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0400 PM     SNOW             2 NNW HUDSON LAKE       41.73N 86.55W
12/31/2017  M9.0 INCH        LA PORTE           IN   PUBLIC

UPDATED REPORT...ANOTHER 2" IN THE LAST
            HOUR.

Since December 23rd Erie has reported 86.7" of snow on 4.70" liquid equivalent. Their current snow depth is 14".

For comparison, since December 23rd I have had 9.5" of snow on 0.67" liquid and my current depth is 6".

Why is this circus of snow measurements continuing at Erie? I saw on the NWS Page that pending review it is a new record. 

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Since December 23rd Erie has reported 86.7" of snow on 4.70" liquid equivalent. Their current snow depth is 14".

For comparison, since December 23rd I have had 9.5" of snow on 0.67" liquid and my current depth is 6".

Why is this circus of snow measurements continuing at Erie? I saw on the NWS Page that pending review it is a new record. 

This is highly suspicious. I was just in areas this week that had WAY less LES than Erie and their depth was beyond 14 inches.

55 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Their depth has to be wrong, everything else makes sense though at a 20:1 ratio which wouldn't be shocking with LES.

You guys will forget more about the weather than I will ever know, but the airport measurements are wrong imo. This is all strictly anecdotal, but a few points:

• Several co-workers live within a mile of the airport and both say they have not received anywhere near the snow that has been reported.
  • The Park I work at is about 2.5 miles from the airport. All of our split rail fence around the Park, hundreds and hundreds of feet of it in our wooded picnic grove areas protected from the wind in part - all have snow-depth up to the bottom rail, about 15" off the ground.
  • I have driven all over the county several times since the morning of Tues. 12/26/17- the area above on the map with the purple is along Route 430 going out toward Colt Station - is the snowiest area I have seen.
  • Spotters in millcreek township, Harborcreek township, and others to the east of the airport have reported less snow than ERI, but their snow depths are greater than the airport. Also verified by other co-workers who live in those areas.
  • The Airport is just southwest of the entrance to our Peninsula - which is "a lighter blue section" on the map above.
  • I lived along the "lakeshore" in Erie county from 1980 til 2004, the airport always seemed to overdue their snowfall amounts from the amounts I recorded.
  • I have worked at our Park for 34 years, 26 full time which includes the winter months. I have seen snow depths quite a bit greater before with much less snowfall, especially this purported 87" in the last 8 days. 
  • I live down in our snowbelt, recording about 3 feet in the same time frame. Just measured my depth, about 13" or so (to be fair, includes the 3+ inches from today

Anyway, I really do think that these record snowfall numbers recorded at and reported from the Airport are nowhere near accurate.

Hi, all!!! Wow, what a SNOWY week last week was for my area in West Michigan! We picked up about 3 feet during the course of the week. We got a nice snow-thump on Thursday night into Friday morning with a foot of snow in about 6 hours, thanks to a nice Southwest flow Lake Enhanced event (my favorite!!) I will be taking pictures this week.

01Jan2018_8day_snowfall.png

2 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Definitely been cold and snowy, for some odd reason I am already tired of it and wishing for spring. I think it has been the cold more so than the snow. 

I feel the same way. I do not like the extreme cold. I wake up for work Mon-Fri and the week is just so hard to get through with this cold. I don't want to leave the house. The high Friday will not break 0...Hopefully the entire winter isn't like this. 

22 hours ago, MAIDEsNow said:

You guys will forget more about the weather than I will ever know, but the airport measurements are wrong imo. This is all strictly anecdotal, but a few points:

• Several co-workers live within a mile of the airport and both say they have not received anywhere near the snow that has been reported.
  • The Park I work at is about 2.5 miles from the airport. All of our split rail fence around the Park, hundreds and hundreds of feet of it in our wooded picnic grove areas protected from the wind in part - all have snow-depth up to the bottom rail, about 15" off the ground.
  • I have driven all over the county several times since the morning of Tues. 12/26/17- the area above on the map with the purple is along Route 430 going out toward Colt Station - is the snowiest area I have seen.
  • Spotters in millcreek township, Harborcreek township, and others to the east of the airport have reported less snow than ERI, but their snow depths are greater than the airport. Also verified by other co-workers who live in those areas.
  • The Airport is just southwest of the entrance to our Peninsula - which is "a lighter blue section" on the map above.
  • I lived along the "lakeshore" in Erie county from 1980 til 2004, the airport always seemed to overdue their snowfall amounts from the amounts I recorded.
  • I have worked at our Park for 34 years, 26 full time which includes the winter months. I have seen snow depths quite a bit greater before with much less snowfall, especially this purported 87" in the last 8 days. 
  • I live down in our snowbelt, recording about 3 feet in the same time frame. Just measured my depth, about 13" or so (to be fair, includes the 3+ inches from today

Anyway, I really do think that these record snowfall numbers recorded at and reported from the Airport are nowhere near accurate.

Great post, lots of info. Maybe they are measuring every hour, who knows. They now report depth of 12" lmao.

20 hours ago, blackrock said:

Hi, all!!! Wow, what a SNOWY week last week was for my area in West Michigan! We picked up about 3 feet during the course of the week. We got a nice snow-thump on Thursday night into Friday morning with a foot of snow in about 6 hours, thanks to a nice Southwest flow Lake Enhanced event (my favorite!!) I will be taking pictures this week.

01Jan2018_8day_snowfall.png

Nice to see you get some of the goods!

12 hours ago, wishforsnow said:

Snap this yesterday. 23 miles south of Houghton,MI. Toivola to be exact. 

38745209224_e76cf40c52.jpg2018-01-02_11-27-56 

I snowmobiled last week in the UP. We stayed in Ontonagon. When we arrived it was a whiteout. 12 miles before there was barely any flakes in Rockland.

IMO, though I didnt measure with a stick, Ontonagon had more snow than anywhere we went. We rode up through Toivola up to east of Hancock. We didnt go north of there though.

Rode 1 day over to White Pine, it was sunny in White Pine. Went 5 miles or so north to Silver City and was snowing good. Right on the Lake shore. Usually Silver City and Ontonagon being right on the shore are pretty thin in snow, but not this time. Was pretty cool.

Archived