Newest Member
    joxey
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This may be one of the rare times I'd rather be somewhere on the WI or IL shore than my own backyard.  Looks like at least a somewhat better shot than here.

Still don't know if we are gonna have much here either but the 12z NAM 3km does look decent for the IL shore.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This may be one of the rare times I'd rather be somewhere on the WI or IL shore than my own backyard.  Looks like at least a somewhat better shot than here.

Eh, I'm less bullish about this opportunity for mby than I was a couple days ago. As you had flagged earlier, potential meso low formation looks to be mucking with the flow of the band, pointing the majority of what makes it to land to NE Indiana and SW Michigan. The rich get richer I suppose.

Ill keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Meanwhile, enjoy your several inches today!

29 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Eh, I'm less bullish about this opportunity for mby than I was a couple days ago. As you had flagged earlier, potential meso low formation looks to be mucking with the flow of the band, pointing the majority of what makes it to land to NE Indiana and SW Michigan. The rich get richer I suppose.

Ill keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Meanwhile, enjoy your several inches today!

The only thing I'm hanging my hopes on is the inherent uncertainty with lake effect setups.  But yeah, optimism is waning at least for my area.

As far as today, I think I will be lucky to get 3" and wouldn't be surprised to come in slightly lower.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The only thing I'm hanging my hopes on is the inherent uncertainty with lake effect setups.  But yeah, optimism is waning at least for my area.

As far as today, I think I will be lucky to get 3" and wouldn't be surprised to come in slightly lower.

I'd be ecstatic to get 2" today and a nice 6" from lake effect... but that's a far fetched dream. But I agree, it's super hard to pinpoint where the LES band will end up. We'll see who wins the lottery :)

Man I don't envy Chicago area forecasters lol.  With such a strong high building in I have to wonder if the offshore component of winds west of the band will be too strong to allow the band to get far inland. May be a near the lake special. Mesolows don't help with confidence, but have to think if anything they wouldn't help with inland penetration into WI/IL. 

2 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Man I don't envy Chicago area forecasters lol.  With such a strong high building in I have to wonder if the offshore component of winds west of the band will be too strong to allow the band to get far inland. May be a near the lake special. Mesolows don't help with confidence, but have to think if anything they wouldn't help with inland penetration into WI/IL. 

I think it depends on where the mesolow is.  If it's farther west over the lake, then I think it would help get that band farther onshore in those areas.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think it depends on where the mesolow is.  If it's farther west over the lake, then I think it would help get that band farther onshore in those areas.

Yes that's a good point. Farther north though or east wouldn't be good as it'd tend to pull/push the band away from the western shoreline. And it's definitely hard to pin down before it happens. 

Looking closer at the Euro, it does appear to be hinting at mesolow development -- well defined in the pressure/wind fields.  The 12z run brings it to shore in Lake/Porter county Indiana.  Pretty neat to see multiple models hinting at the development, with some differences on placement.

20 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Meso-low off Lk Ontario dropped a surprise 3" of 30:1 fluff on my driveway today.

2nd decent December for snow in a row. :snowman:

Looks like we'll finish the month above average snow wise. Couple small events, nothing major, plus the extreme cold made this a textbook December imo. 

Keep it coming! 

HRRR with the nice band lurking offshore at the end of the run.

HRRRCHI_prec_ptype_018.png.8dcdb4fbc67d6ce51541354fee8ef795.png

As with many other models, this is also hinting at a mesolow.  What you'd want to see if you're along the IL shore or where I am is for this low to be positioned more over the central or even western part of the lake to drive the band onshore.  No model is indicating that at this point but it's still worth keeping an eye on as the ramifications of a farther west placement would be significant.

HRRR with the nice band lurking offshore at the end of the run.
HRRRCHI_prec_ptype_018.png.8dcdb4fbc67d6ce51541354fee8ef795.png
As with many other models, this is also hinting at a mesolow.  What you'd want to see if you're along the IL shore or where I am is for this low to be positioned more over the central or even western part of the lake to drive the band onshore.  No model is indicating that at this point but it's still worth keeping an eye on as the ramifications of a farther west placement would be significant.

That band is super close to the IL shore too so its nothing to throw out completely at this point.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The latest RAP does have the western edge of the band kissing the WI/IL shore.  

Just saw that yeah

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fwiw, 18z GFS does bring some snow onto the WI/IL shore. 

lol, better than nothing

Overall though, more models are hinting at landfall in the IL and WI shoreline which is obviously a good sign!

The big question
will be how far west the meso low will meander. Trends continue to
favor it staying offshore of Wisconsin/Illinois but will have to
watch this carefully as this is something not easily forecast.
Will continue with the thought that the lake snow band/meso low
will remain offshore of the forecast area and then possibly move
onshore across far northeast Porter County or even east of there
later Sunday afternoon.

This was written in the LOT AFD update at 2:24pm, very interested in the next update.

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The 18z 3km NAM likes Porter County and clips eastern Lake County from mid morning through early-mid afternoon. Looks like it tries to brush the IL shore too. I'm doing the public forecast updates this evening at LOT, will be closely monitoring trends.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was a pretty significant shift from the 12z run.

Not a very high confidence setup (maybe even lower than usual for LES).

Archived