Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

3 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Yea, trying to model high res localized snowfall potential is next to near impossible with any accuracy especially out more than 24-36 hours.  The global models don't ever come close in most cases. So I always take snowfall forecasts with a grain of salt especially dealing with LES. 

Just North of my house has been getting hammed since the bands formed into 3 dominate bands. Some areas will push 10"+ just from this morning through afternoon. 

Now there's 5 of us heading up... bring it on.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jonger said:

Now there's 5 of us heading up... bring it on.

I still don't even have my trail permit yet lol.  I may buzz around after work before all the "southerners" head up :) 

Will probably have to snowblow again though, but not complaining about that one bit. Looks like over the weekend and into early next week the coast line is going to get in on the action. 

31 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

I still don't even have my trail permit yet lol.  I may buzz around after work before all the "southerners" head up :) 

Will probably have to snowblow again though, but not complaining about that one bit. Looks like over the weekend and into early next week the coast line is going to get in on the action. 

If we don't get at least an inch tonight, I might throw my new electric snowblower in the trailer and try it up there. I'm dying to see this electric unit in action.

33 minutes ago, Jonger said:

If we don't get at least an inch tonight, I might throw my new electric snowblower in the trailer and try it up there. I'm dying to see this electric unit in action.

I am not sure about an electric snowblower, i guess down state probably would be okay. I did purchase a battery powered leaf blower that works pretty decent. You would have plenty of snow to test it out up here depending on where you are starting off at. I tried my new Deere setup last night an it worked great.

14 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

I am not sure about an electric snowblower, i guess down state probably would be okay. I did purchase a battery powered leaf blower that works pretty decent. You would have plenty of snow to test it out up here depending on where you are starting off at. I tried my new Deere setup last night an it worked great.

81VdfXdu+bL._SY463_.jpg

This band off of Lake Michigan is gonna be good. 

Evening update from LOT

LES parameters
are quite impressive and it looks like an intense single band
could develop. Tropopause drops to near 500mb which will also
serve as the equilibrium level for lake induced convection (very
high for LES) and combined with 850-lake delta Ts approaching 20C,
suggests a very potent LES band should develop. Given the progged
parameters, if single LES band develops as expected, would expect
snowfall rates of at least 2" per hour (probably higher) in the
heart of the snow band. The unseasonably warm lake and deep
instability also raise the specter of potential isolated
thunderstorms with the LES band tomorrow.

Big question for snowfall amounts will be residence time of the
snow band at any given location. Hires models strongly suggest
that lake induced mesoscale enhancement of the surface low will
take place Saturday. The primary LES band is expected to develop
to the west of this low, with the low likely to result in some
meandering/wavering of the position of the band. Gave very strong
consideration to upgrading Porter to a winter storm warning, as
such an intense band could drop 6" of snow in just a couple hours.
If rates of that magnitude occur, impacts could be very
significant, particularly in light of the expected 30-45 mph winds
near the lake which could result in white-out/blizzard conditions
at times in the more intense snow squall(s). The primary factor
keeping me from upgrading to a warning at this time is the
uncertainty in location of the LES band. The operational HRRR
keeps it primarily east of Porter County, but many other models
have it farther west and keep Porter County well within the line
of fire.

- Izzi

On 12/7/2017 at 9:40 PM, RogueWaves said:

For yby perhaps. I wish I had a buck for every time they screw the pooch on their two SE counties. With this weak scenario, adding Calhoun to the WWA was bad. Got a coating here , perhaps 0.4" 

Rogue... I didn’t know you lived here. Used to live in Marshall out off of L Drive N. Now I live in Battle Creek out by the Mall (Riverside & Capital). Small world. 

Yeah how about that advisory? Just enough to have the trucks dump salt everywhere for no reason :rolleyes:

NWUS53 KIWX 092239
LSRIWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
539 PM EST SAT DEC 9 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0400 PM     SNOW             2 WNW CULVER            41.23N 86.46W
12/09/2017  M7.5 INCH        MARSHALL           IN   BROADCAST MEDIA

STORM TOTAL SO FAR.

22 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Too bad that band won't park over one spot for very long.

Yeah, right there, and I'd have another 11-12-13 LES Big Dog at my work place! Nice to have winter back, and real Santa wx here in Marshall. Pharmacy gal told me today that if it's a blizzard here, she ordered it because she loves riding her snowmobile! Reminded me of the new Pure Michigan tourist ad..."if someone asks why you have a smile on your face, you tell 'em "because it's going to snow tonight"

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, right there, and I'd have another 11-12-13 LES Big Dog at my work place! Nice to have winter back, and real Santa wx here in Marshall. Pharmacy gal told me today that if it's a blizzard here, she ordered it because she loves riding her snowmobile! Reminded me of the new Pure Michigan tourist ad..."if someone asks why you have a smile on your face, you tell 'em "because it's going to snow tonight"

This is the webcam I like to check out for Benton Harbor:

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/kevinspagedotcom/3/show.html

How much snow were you able to get with the clipper?

I'm liking this clipper regime, not for the paltry synoptic snow amounts, but for Lake Michigan LES behind the systems. I got more Lake Effect yesterday than system snow and that looks to be the case again tomorrow/Tuesday, as the clipper snows look to be a WI/MI/OH event, with those of us south of I 80 only seeing mood flakes.

Behind it as winds shift, the NAM is depicting some really nice Delta T's for heavy snow bands and it looks like there could be somewhat of a Superior connection to improve moisture. The band/bands should once again track well inland, allowing us on the southern periphery to once again score on some accumulations. The same areas that got hit yesterday could see some nice accumulations, although it looks like the counties immediately to the east could also see more snow that yesterday's event.

Archived