Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Snow is steadier and heavier.  Can't believe it's 9 degrees.  I'm still eating Halloween candy. 

Its 19 at my house. Been under this dominant band for quite some time, was forecasted earlier to push south west towards the shore but actually backed more over my area. Will be over a foot by morning if it persists much longer. Easily 1" per hour with the Lake Superior connection. 

12 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Its 19 at my house. Been under this dominant band for quite some time, was forecasted earlier to push south west towards the shore but actually backed more over my area. Will be over a foot by morning if it persists much longer. Easily 1" per hour with the LES connection. 

As far as I can tell, yesterday's 12z close to nailed it (although a tad north in your area than what played out).  I'm not sure I'll reach a foot , but it should be close.

wrf-arw_asnow_ncus_47.thumb.png.8023e17d2cad4cb4ec53c2a521947d87.png

6 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

As far as I can tell, yesterday's 12z close to nailed it (although a tad north in your area than what played out).  I'm not sure I'll reach a foot , but it should be close.

wrf-arw_asnow_ncus_47.thumb.png.8023e17d2cad4cb4ec53c2a521947d87.png

True, LES is so hard to pinpoint +the main bands setup basically a guessing game. I bet a some where is alger county in the UP is 20" 

Pulled this sounding near Sault Ste. Marie and was wondering what on earth is going on with that inversion(tropopause??) that low to the ground. I couldn't really find any other examples anywhere else in the country so I assume this has something to do with the lakes and LES in some way, hence why I put it here(unless this belongs in the banter thread or something since it doesn't really pertain to discussion)

gfs_2017110918_006_46.5--85.75.png?width

8 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

True, LES is so hard to pinpoint +the main bands setup basically a guessing game. I bet a some where is alger county in the UP is 20" 

There were reports I'd seen at 6pm of 14", so I'd say a storm total tomorrow of 2' in localized areas a def possibility.  Has gotten more interesting here the past couple hours... snow is pounding the north windows.

28 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Pulled this sounding near Sault Ste. Marie and was wondering what on earth is going on with that inversion(tropopause??) that low to the ground. I couldn't really find any other examples anywhere else in the country so I assume this has something to do with the lakes and LES in some way, hence why I put it here(unless this belongs in the banter thread or something since it doesn't really pertain to discussion)

gfs_2017110918_006_46.5--85.75.png?width

That's definitely the tropopause.  Impressive tropopause fold with the lobe of the PV, and you won't see that anywhere else in the US at the moment. 

8 hours ago, blackrock said:

Nice, you're probably up to a foot now after the snow all day? We have had snow showers since about 2 this afternoon. Hoping to wake up to some snow on the ground in the morning...won't be much. Enjoy the winter wonderland!

Maybe about ten but I will check when I do the drive this morning to see how much more we received over night.

37578598754_c46e853e8b_k.jpgFEB005F8-7780-4C86-ABD1-5E90FC9E2699 by Steve Smithers, on Flickr

On 10/25/2017 at 11:05 AM, Aleksey said:

You definitely get more than I do! I am in Saranac, right in between GR and Ionia! Usually GR picks up an annual 70-75” from what I’ve heard. I believe Grand Haven is in the 85” range because you’re closer to the lakes! I can’t wait and am ready for our first snowfall! I’m a big Winter Wx enthusiasts who has a weather group chat on twitter and am always model watching and discussing! I love the beauty of winter and there is no sight more beautiful than the fresh snow falling from the sky! Can’t wait!! And ideas when we could get our first flakes? I’m thinking within the next 2 weeks, nothing accumulating because it’s been too warm, but I’d love to see some flakes flying around! Thanks guys!

What is the name of your Twitter group.?

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, OHweather said:

A couple of days ago the Euro had the epic setup and the GFS was progressive garbage over the weekend.  Now the GFS has the big, slow storm and great LES setup and the Euro is complete **** and trending worse each run. 

Agree with this 100 percent. Euro looks worse each run with respect to lake effect potential. It barely drops anything this weekend now, whereas the GFS has a crush job. Classic battle setting up. ;)

5 hours ago, OHweather said:

A couple of days ago the Euro had the epic setup and the GFS was progressive garbage over the weekend.  Now the GFS has the big, slow storm and great LES setup and the Euro is complete **** and trending worse each run. 

Models at great odds with each other. The winter season has begun!

16 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Doesn't get much crappier than this for opening day, still got a little bit of time but probably wont be riding south the bridge anywhere. But then again really haven't been able to the past few winters.

ecmwf_acc_snow_greatlakes_240.png

Yea, we aren't getting an early start this year. Just dropped $13k on a new sled, so it's not surprising.

2 minutes ago, BeauDodson said:

I am hoping to LES chase this season.  I have never done this before.  

The last major snow event that I photographed was Hurricane Sandy in West Virginia.

I have actually never experienced "true" lake effect snow.  I am hoping there are some significant events.

I am monitoring this thread.

I remember when you used to post pictures of your explorations in Kentucky. Are you still there?

Archived