Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jonger said:

The entire 384 hr GFS looks primarily cold.

Lots of early LES coming.

The Ski-Doo 2018 Renegade-X 1200 spring order sled should be ready in 2 weeks.... Damn, now I'm wondering if I should sell my 2013 with all this sexiness coming.

Nice I would have loved a new Polaris Assault but needed the new tractor setup more.  The plow bill was getting crazy the past two years. 

42 minutes ago, slow poke said:

I picked up a new sled about a month ago, hoping it's a good snow season in northern MI

MED FREERIDE.PNG

Nice sled, I finally paid of my 13 rush this year, hard to justify getting a new 13k sled for so little riding even where I live just don't have the time.  Especially when in June when you have to pay 200+ a month for something sitting in the barn.  But that still doesn't mean I don't want one :)  Next purchase for me is a new General 4. 

9 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

Waiting for our first LES flakes here in Grand Rapids. Hoping it comes soon!! This is my first winter in Michigan, I spent 20 years down in Georgia and just moved up here a month ago! I love the cold and snow and am anxiously awaiting!! 

Welcome to the board and Michigan!, GR gets a decent amount of snow a year not sure the exact amount but definitely will be a shocker coming from Georgia. 

18 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

Waiting for our first LES flakes here in Grand Rapids. Hoping it comes soon!! This is my first winter in Michigan, I spent 20 years down in Georgia and just moved up here a month ago! I love the cold and snow and am anxiously awaiting!! 

Welcome! Good to see another poster from the West Michigan area. We don't have too many on here. I am your neighbor to the west in Grand Haven/Spring Lake/Muskegon area. Where in GR are you? The western suburbs (Grandville, Hudsonville, Allendale) definitely get more lake effect snow than the east side (Ada, Lowell, Kentwood)

15 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

Welcome to the subforum. I'm also not sure on the exact average or how much system vs. LE snows you get. I've seen both 68" and 74" listed. I average half of that down here in the Fort Wayne area. Anyway, you will see your share.

19 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

Welcome to the forums and be prepared for the lake effect addiction. Will be nice to have another poster in here! 

4 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Welcome! Good to see another poster from the West Michigan area. We don't have too many on here. I am your neighbor to the west in Grand Haven/Spring Lake/Muskegon area. Where in GR are you? The western suburbs (Grandville, Hudsonville, Allendale) definitely get more lake effect snow than the east side (Ada, Lowell, Kentwood)

Forgot to add...The GR airport (Ford) is on the east side of town in Cascade, and that is where the GR "average" snowfall is 72 inches. Downtown probably averages in the lower 80s inches of snowfall, while the areas I listed above (as well as here along the lakeshore) average 90 to 100 inches of snow.

Welcome Aleksey!

I'm feeling really good about the lakes.  More the northern, but it looks promising for all.

mqt

The better potential of a changeover to
snow will occur Fri night/Sat over the w half as column cools
further. During this time, there will be lake enhancement and
terrain enhancement under cyclonic n to ne upslope flow, potentially
leading to headline worthy snow accumulations for the high terrain
from Marquette County westward.

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

You definitely get more than I do! I am in Saranac, right in between GR and Ionia! Usually GR picks up an annual 70-75” from what I’ve heard. I believe Grand Haven is in the 85” range because you’re closer to the lakes! I can’t wait and am ready for our first snowfall! I’m a big Winter Wx enthusiasts who has a weather group chat on twitter and am always model watching and discussing! I love the beauty of winter and there is no sight more beautiful than the fresh snow falling from the sky! Can’t wait!! And ideas when we could get our first flakes? I’m thinking within the next 2 weeks, nothing accumulating because it’s been too warm, but I’d love to see some flakes flying around! Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

22814243_10210088208541287_5301250334516

Really nice set up Josh, when we move up north full time I hope to have something similar. That a 4x4? I'm definitely a "snow blow" rather then "snow plow" guy, takes a little longer but much easier to move the snow with all the trees we have and the limited room we have to push the snow.

10 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Really nice set up Josh, when we move up north full time I hope to have something similar. That a 4x4? I'm definitely a "snow blow" rather then "snow plow" guy, takes a little longer but much easier to move the snow with all the trees we have and the limited room we have to push the snow.

Thanks, no unfortunately not a 4x4 I wish but couldn't justify the extra 7k+ to move up the 4x4 when I already shelled out to get this setup. This model does have efi, hydro lift/power steering and locking differential so when I add the tire chains and additional rear weight shouldn't be an issue blowing. If you plow with the tractor , the 4x4 would be more useful.

2 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Thanks, no unfortunately not a 4x4 I wish but couldn't justify the extra 7k+ to move up the 4x4 when I already shelled out to get this setup. This model does have efi, hydro lift/power steering and locking differential so when I add the tire chains and additional rear weight shouldn't be an issue blowing. If you plow with the tractor , the 4x4 would be more useful.

Nice setup. Years ago when I lived in the country, I had a Deere with a plow. I didn't really like it.  Although I've never used one, I feel like the blower is the way to go. Also, installing the wheel weights and chains in the fall and uninstalling them in the spring was a pain.

11 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Nice setup. Years ago when I lived in the country, I had a Deere with a plow. I didn't really like it.  Although I've never used one, I feel like the blower is the way to go. Also, installing the wheel weights and chains in the fall and uninstalling them in the spring was a pain.

For sure blower the way to go especially with the amount of snow I get dont have to worry about not leaving enough room for push back with a plow. Chains and weights are a pain but I am leaving the wheel weights on year round and chains dont take to long. Plus the blower to mower setup is very easy on the new JD's why I went that route over other brands. All told will take me about an hour to fully switch from winter to summer modes on the tractor and thats tacking my time with a few beers. A very small price to pay being able to do your own snow removal w/o paying 700-1000 a year on plowing.  Cant wait to try it out once we get some decent accumulation. 

Speaking of which the Euro is trolling Bo pretty hard already

ecmwf_acc_snow_greatlakes_240.png

33 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

You definitely get more than I do! I am in Saranac, right in between GR and Ionia! Usually GR picks up an annual 70-75” from what I’ve heard. I believe Grand Haven is in the 85” range because you’re closer to the lakes! I can’t wait and am ready for our first snowfall! I’m a big Winter Wx enthusiasts who has a weather group chat on twitter and am always model watching and discussing! I love the beauty of winter and there is no sight more beautiful than the fresh snow falling from the sky! Can’t wait!! And ideas when we could get our first flakes? I’m thinking within the next 2 weeks, nothing accumulating because it’s been too warm, but I’d love to see some flakes flying around! Thanks guys!

Welcome to SWMI and yeah, #MIrockswinter!  I'm a fellow LES belt fringe-rider two counties south. Looks like Marshall and Saranac share the 48-60" annual avg contour per this map. Looking forward to a much better season after the past 2. Not sure how a snow-lover survives in GA, but that's done and you picked a great time to come north. I just began last winter to track what % of my snow was LES and last year was really favorable (45% LES) with the unusually frequent WNW flow which is prime down here along 94 combined with the warm lake. But if I had to estimate, I'd say typically only ~30-35% of my total comes via LES. At 80 miles inland, I'm just too far away most times. 

Midwest_annual_snowfall_normals_1981-2010.png

Archived