Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 Strong to Severe Storm Potential

weatherwiz

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

CDA has gotten some good snowstorms lately though...I'd take that over DDH anyday, especially with much better retention.

DDH downslopes more severely in my opinion in synoptic events...just due to its proximity to the terrain.  

This is all if we are just talking winter weather and nothing else.

I'm talking the whole shabang. There's too much useless cold for me up there and plenty of shadowing there too. I went to LSC a couple of years...the frequent 1-3" events don't wow me. Come warm season I'll take the nicer DDH weather with the better chances for severe. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm talking the whole shabang. There's too much useless cold for me up there and plenty of shadowing there too. I went to LSC a couple of years...the frequent 1-3" events don't wow me. Come warm season I'll take the nicer DDH weather with the better chances for severe. 

Ahh yeah it's definitely cold over there in the NEK.  Fair enough.  I've never spent any real time there but would imagine it's a decently drier climate than the Spine region.  

It is funny though as they have had some big snowstorms the past few years with the further east tracks we've seen in coastal systems on the whole.  There have been a bunch with the max snows up the Eastern VT hills into the NEK as far as VT totals go.  It is the huggers of like the 2000s where they seem to really get shadowed with 6-8" while even BTV and the rest of NVT gets 14-18".  

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh yeah it's definitely cold over there in the NEK.  Fair enough.  I've never spent any real time there but would imagine it's a decently drier climate than the Spine region.  

It is funny though as they have had some big snowstorms the past few years with the further east tracks we've seen in coastal systems on the whole.  There have been a bunch with the max snows up the Eastern VT hills into the NEK as far as VT totals go.  It is the huggers of like the 2000s where they seem to really get shadowed with 6-8" while even BTV and the rest of NVT gets 14-18".  

Didn't DDH get 28" on Vday 07? Supposedly they got 48" in the Mar 1888 blizzard too.

16 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

32mph gust. 0.35". Not impressed by the rain. Drought buster my arse.
Drought buster my arse.

Maybe a time out before the event even gets underway next time?

GYX well over 1" now and it will continue to rain all night. Now we may not get the 2.5" we originally threw out there with the first storm total maps, but it should settle in around 2"

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Didn't DDH get 28" on Vday 07? Supposedly they got 48" in the Mar 1888 blizzard too.

No, don't think so on Vday, it was probably more like 12-14" from what i can gather.  So that leaves 1 good storm in the last 129 years, not bad. 

J/K.  They actually had two separate 2fters in 2010 alone. Dec '10 and Jan '10 both had around 20-24"

Heading east from Schenectady driving up to the farm we'd have halfway decent snow until you get east of Troy then bare fields until somewhere up on the hills, finally some real snow on the ground as you get over the top on 11 and 30.  I never got why until this thread.  Going skiing over at Mount Snow I was always impressed how much snow was on the ground early up by Woodford.  It looked like they got a lot and kept it.  

Maybe a time out before the event even gets underway next time?

GYX well over 1" now and it will continue to rain all night. Now we may not get the 2.5" we originally threw out there with the first storm total maps, but it should settle in around 2"

I'll go stand and face the wall. 1.3". Be nice to get to 2"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived