Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 Strong to Severe Storm Potential

weatherwiz

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

About 0.60" here, much less than modeled but as usual we live on the edge in western New England ;).  Gotta start preseason training.

this made me laugh.  Models showed over an inch of rain for my area, from an all-day and into the evening type event, and I received 0.69 in 45-60 minutes.   edit: I don't want this to sound like sour grapes or bitterness at the great job the NWS BTV guys do.  Just noting that things didn't pan out like modeled for my neck of the woods, but where it did, oh boy, those are some big rain totals.

7 hours ago, CT Rain said:

DDH may be the worst spot in New England for weather.

Sure, they can some funky downslope winds and OK convection in the summer but man do they get screwed in the winter. 

Don't know if I'd say worst spot for "weather" because I actually think their downslope wind storms are fascinating (they get some of the highest winds outside the coast) and they are probably the best in New England for thunderstorms... but definitely get hosed in any big winter storm that isn't a NW flow upslope event.

Basically in a winter storm they are getting 60mph flurries on east wind while everyone else is calm with SN/SN+ lol.

ENFIELD               5.29  1012 AM 10/25  AMATEUR RADIO
SUFFIELD              5.16  1014 AM 10/25  AMATEUR RADIO

Looks like my 4.3 way way low.  Honestly my gage is very cheap/crude and not perfectly placed and it overflowed after 4 inches in the middle of the night. Sugarloaf came it at 5.30 as well so it looks like Enfield may have pretty much jacked.  

22 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Looks like my 4.3 way way low.  Honestly my gage is very cheap/crude and not perfectly placed and it overflowed after 4 inches in the middle of the night. Sugarloaf came it at 5.30 as well so it looks like Enfield may have pretty much jacked.  

Congrats on your 2 months of rain in a week

40 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I dont have a gauge, the station reporting that is two blocks away from where I live.

9 hours ago, CT Rain said:

DDH may be the worst spot in New England for weather.

Sure, they can some funky downslope winds and OK convection in the summer but man do they get screwed in the winter. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Don't know if I'd say worst spot for "weather" because I actually think their downslope wind storms are fascinating (they get some of the highest winds outside the coast) and they are probably the best in New England for thunderstorms... but definitely get hosed in any big winter storm that isn't a NW flow upslope event.

Basically in a winter storm they are getting 60mph flurries on east wind while everyone else is calm with SN/SN+ lol.

Well, most spots west of the spine up and down VT get screwed in winter outside of the consistent upslope zones, Bennington maybe just gets more screwage than most.

DDH up .06" for the event :lol:

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think I'd take DDH over CDA/1V4. HIE would be a toss up...the extreme cold would be nice, but it would get old fast. I don't want the threat of a freeze in July either.

CDA has gotten some good snowstorms lately though going back to 2014...I'd take that over DDH anyday, especially with much better retention.  Can't remember anything recently where they got badly shadowed like back in the days when every storm hugged the coast.

DDH downslopes more severely in my opinion in synoptic events...just due to its proximity to the terrain.  

This is all if we are just talking winter weather and nothing else.

21 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Well, most spots west of the spine up and down VT get screwed in winter outside of the consistent upslope zones, Bennington maybe just gets more screwage than most.

DDH up .06" for the event :lol:

Is there anything good about Bennington? :lol:

Archived