Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 29-30th Intense Storm From Tropics Discussions & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mob1 said:

Euro is very strong at this point and pretty far west,  I can't seen the in between panels so I'm not sure when it goes from here 

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_neus_2.png

Hellacious. That's about all I need to see to think it's another very damaging run for NYC east. 

If there's literally a 979 over Ocean City tomorrow, it's literally lights out for most on Long Island and coastal CT, and probably even a good chunk of NYC. 

HRRR looks similar as well. One thing I noticed in the Euro and latest short term guidance, is that there can possibly be two areas of maximum winds and the tropical storm doesn't need to be fully absorbed for us to get smoked. Strength and placement will be key. 

hrrr_mslp_uv850_neus_19.png

3 minutes ago, mob1 said:

HRRR looks similar as well. One thing I noticed in the Euro and latest short term guidance, is that there can possibly be two areas of maximum winds and the tropical storm doesn't need to be fully absorbed for us to get smoked. Strength and placement will be key. 

hrrr_mslp_uv850_neus_19.png

It comes to where the consolidated surface low tracks-if it goes west of you, there'll be a period of powerful winds. The Euro is probably overdone, but I'd think it would have to be enough for widespread power outages. Those winds being out of the south has to make me think areas down here on the south shore experience some serious coastal flooding too, ad beach erosion. 

17 minutes ago, Rjay said:

30-45 mph sustained winds gusting well over 100 mph ....yea I'd say something is wrong....

I checked for our area, and it has sustained surface winds of over 40 MPH when it shows the 70 MPH+ gusts for LI, so that actually makes sense. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Hellacious. That's about all I need to see to think it's another very damaging run for NYC east. 

If there's literally a 979 over Ocean City tomorrow, it's literally lights out for most on Long Island and coastal CT, and probably even a good chunk of NYC. 

Good luck later today 

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017102900_27_477_460.thumb.png.1c004372601492daf89c994c43792034.png

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Good to see the NWS highlighting the potential for 75 mph gusts near the coast on Long Island with widespread power outages. You just can't go against the Euro especially in October when a tropical interaction with the midlatitude is occurring. We saw this with Sandy, Joaquin and now this event. 

And yet some weather pages think this is a normal noreaster and actually throwing out the Euro.

Archived