Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 29-30th Intense Storm From Tropics Discussions & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

What's the sample size for this trend? We haven't exactly been swimming in synoptic precip events since met. fall began.

People have looked at the qpf output of various models for convective systems over the last few months and if the models are off for their area they're wrong and have performed poorly lately.  

• Rjay pinned this topic

I can definitely see there being a shaft zone somewhere between the initial slug of rain well inland and what develops from the offshore low. That area might get an inch of rain while elsewhere gets 2-3" or more. The offshore low will rob from the inland area of rain, and the upper level features may not develop in time to create a CCB /comma head area of heavy rain until it's north of us in New England. That doesn't develop until mid level lows close off and push moisture west at the mid levels. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

I can definitely see there being a shaft zone somewhere between the initial slug of rain well inland and what develops from the offshore low. That area might get an inch of rain while elsewhere gets 2-3" or more. The offshore low will rob from the inland area of rain, and the upper level features may not develop in time to create a CCB /comma head area of heavy rain. That doesn't develop until mid level lows close off and push moisture west at the mid levels. 

I would bet Eastern NJ or right over NYC for the shaft zone missing the heavy rain to the West and heavy wind to the east

Archived