Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2017-18 Digital Snow Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

Unfortunately, it seems like the off hour runs of the GFS do fine in the first 75-100 hours or so, but after that their skill score really seems to dissipate. Fun nonetheless. 

It seems that way sometimes but the verification scores say something different. The accuracy of the 6 and 18z runs is pretty close if not identical to the 0 and 12z. 

Ops in general beyond 5 days aren't very accurate though. 

38 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It seems that way sometimes but the verification scores say something different. The accuracy of the 6 and 18z runs is pretty close if not identical to the 0 and 12z. 

I totally agree with you. The actual skill scores show them being the same, but it just doesn't seem that way at all. I think OPs can be useful for trends, but the exact location of certain features can be 100s of miles off. Obviously in the day 7 or less (or so) they're fairly accurate.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Totally agree on last sentence.  I might have shortened it to day 4, but I remember posting about the wildly different solutions 5 days out we were getting last year.

29 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Totally agree on last sentence.  I might have shortened it to day 4, but I remember posting about the wildly different solutions 5 days out we were getting last year.

Ops can be basically locked in 5 days out but it's usually stable hp or basic frontal passage or something simple like that. Synoptic precip is much more complicated so range makes a big difference with accuracy. We totally ignore when the gfs shows hp and normal temps for 5 strsight days of runs and nails it. Lol 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ops can be basically locked in 5 days out but it's usually stable hp or basic frontal passage or something simple like that. Synoptic precip is much more complicated so range makes a big difference with accuracy. We totally ignore when the gfs shows hp and normal temps for 5 strsight days of runs and nails it. Lol 

Yeah, we only see when it fails to give us what we want.

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

That October digital snow can turn into 70 and sunny right this very second. I want nothing to do with any sort of October snowfall - not now, not ever.

Maybe not 70 and sunny, but you probably will get your wish on the snowfall part of it.  Although ............

..........what I can see of the Euro does look pretty chilly for Sun/Mon, maybe flakes.  Need better access than I have to see that.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Maybe not 70 and sunny, but you probably will get your wish on the snowfall part of it.  Although ............

..........what I can see of the Euro does look pretty chilly for Sun/Mon, maybe flakes.  Need better access than I have to see that.

I'll be down that way next weekend and am so eager to see what happens!

If you have weatherbell check out the 00Z snowfall map at range for the 00Z run of the GFS. Shows a nor'easter develop off the southeast coast around day 14 with decent snowfall for eastern portions of the east coast. DC/Balt have a half inch with increasing amounts south and east. SE Virginia clocks in with 6+ inch totals. 

21 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

If you have weatherbell check out the 00Z snowfall map at range for the 00Z run of the GFS. Shows a nor'easter develop off the southeast coast around day 14 with decent snowfall for eastern portions of the east coast. DC/Balt have a half inch with increasing amounts south and east. SE Virginia clocks in with 6+ inch totals. 

mood flakes for some

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_51.png

22 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

November snow is kind of OK, but not until later in the month. I’m too big a believer in the theory that super-early snow forbids a crap winter.

Archived