• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
official cabinet pick: Barry Myers officialy nominated to run NOAA

ok folks, it's official. the CEO of Accu-Weather Barry Myers has been officially nominated to run NOAA as of 10-11-2017. And I know this may be political, but as well, this pick, if confirmed, will affect the enterprise as we know it, and could affect everything from radar and model availability to the current warning system, basic forecast availability, and even employment and research within the enterprise.

http://www.nature.com/news/weather-company-chief-executive-is-trump-s-pick-to-lead-climate-agency-1.22311?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews&sf121239396=1

so, in as professional a manner as possible (which I know may be hard to get sometimes), what's your thoughts on this?

the other large weather companies would sue them into oblivion if they tried, if for no other reason then trying to create a monopoly, which would run into a rare enforcement of the Sherman Anti-Trust act.

Even if that is the case, it is still ONE MORE THING Trump can do to crap on our governmental science agencies.

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:
1 hour ago, Jim Marusak said:
the other large weather companies would sue them into oblivion if they tried, if for no other reason then trying to create a monopoly, which would run into a rare enforcement of the Sherman Anti-Trust act.

Even if that is the case, it is still ONE MORE THING Trump can do to crap on our governmental science agencies.

one of the interesting appointments for the assistant heads of NOAA though is one of the main people behind the modeling and weather services at Panasonic. And remember, they have been making claims in being able to integrate more data, especially aircraft data, into their version of the GFS, which has accuracy claims much better then the current NOAA version of the GFS. So, depending how that relationship is, that may actually lead to much better data ingest into the current models, which may help our accuracy despite other problems. I would like to maybe see questions on how he may integrate that into the nationwide modeling effort. But will the senators ask about that?

On 10/12/2017 at 9:59 PM, Jim Marusak said:
one of the interesting appointments for the assistant heads of NOAA though is one of the main people behind the modeling and weather services at Panasonic. And remember, they have been making claims in being able to integrate more data, especially aircraft data, into their version of the GFS, which has accuracy claims much better then the current NOAA version of the GFS. So, depending how that relationship is, that may actually lead to much better data ingest into the current models, which may help our accuracy despite other problems. I would like to maybe see questions on how he may integrate that into the nationwide modeling effort. But will the senators ask about that?

I am sure I will get harrassed, but my thoughts about this have nothing to do with myself being a Republican, Democrat or my desire for better technology in weather modeling, regardless of however much that can be done in the private / taxpayer funded sectors. I try not to be political on a science forum. But when the subject matter may have direct consequences on our scientific community and interfere with their ability to educate and inform the American public it works for, I must speak out.

At this point, I'm just being a concerned American, or more specifically, a concerned human. I have nothing to say that is personally negative against Myers. He is a successful lawyer and entrepreneur. Beyond his professional portfolio, he seems like a nice person. But my frustration is less than about my disapproval of Myers and more about a pick that everyone knew was coming miles away through the fog and zero visibility. This is what bothers me to the point of extreme irritation with Donald Trump. He is much easier to predict than the weather, much less climate, and not in a good way.

Trump is one gigantic walking, talking and breathing conflict of interest who does things with little respect to the office he represents or the people it governs. His moves all seem highly manipulated by special interests and a select few corporate executives (certainly not the majority) and have little to do with "draining the swamp." If anything, he is exponentially worse than his predecessors at combating this problem and the antithesis of someone against corruption and abuse of power.

Please understand that I realize the private sector needs representation in government. This is critical for economic laws and trusts in a successful capitalist market, which the U.S. still is by far compared to the rest of the world even as globalization expands. I also realize that money runs/rules the world. But like so many of Trump's other cabinet picks, his ideas seem elitist. You can't just go down the Fortune 500 and pick the most successful profiteers to represent similar areas of government. You can't just hand over rule to those who government agencies most affect financially. Scientists are not the enemy of the people, as Trump would have you believe. But sometimes their research can certainly get in the way of unchecked exploitation of people, natural resources and environment. Scott Pruitt's placement by Trump to head the EPA was just the beginning. But the threats of reorganization, silencing of scientists and data dumps at NOAA, USGS, Dept. of Interior, FDA, etc.; all of these agencies are not in place to be an instrument to accommodate Trump's buddies. And furthermore, just because a business executive can run a corporation does not mean he or she can run a governmental agency with success. More specifically, in the case of NOAA, just because a person is the executive of AccuWeather, a weather forecasting for-profit company, does not qualify them to head an entire agency made up of different branches and scientific divisions.

NOAA serves a primary function for all citizens of the United States: Help Americans protect life, property, ecosystems and environmental assets of this country through science and research. Helping and supporting our economy does not mean pandering to corporations and the profit interests of those in the private sector over the American people. I still remember all too well the Rick Santorum NWS Bill and the shady attempts by AccuWeather to privatize the NWS. I still remember the frustration against those who wanted to prevent access to taxpayer funded scientific information, technology and data and use all this for profit motives. I have nothing against AccuWeather being a successful company. But the upheavel and undermining of our governmental scientific agencies because its cutting into someone's profit margin has got to stop.

If Myers is to be the head of NOAA, I hope he has gained the wisdom to not screw it up. I wish him well. I hope his decisons are in the best interest of our nation as a people and not a select few or himself. No, my disrespect is entirely of Trump and yet another example that he doesn't know what the hell he is doing, consequences be damned. He doesn't care as long as the objective serves him and the few that stand to gain. If people haven't realized this by now, they never will. Regardless, Myers will have to be confirmed by the Senate. After the year we have had, he better be able to answer the tough questions and know what he is talking about. His boss sure as hell doesn't.

Archived