Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Nate

NavarreDon

1 minute ago, agrayson12 said:

Well for those searching for other info on hurricane  that DO live in mobile Bay... Work in new Orleans Biloxi and pcola...Yeah we're watching everything that is said on here... Because even if it IS a "garden variety  hyped up nothing"...  It's still my family.. My dogs.. My home... My businesses.... I went through Frederick Katrina Ivan... We all have lost alot here on the gulf coast.. so if the hurricane doesn't concern you ... And it's a hyped up garden variety then why waste your time talking about it at all?

I wish your family luck.  I hope they aren't relying upon SN_lover and stormchaserchuck in this dire situation.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jpeters3 said:

This is plausible, given that the left quadrant winds are going to be weaker, and the potentially reduced rainfall totals.

I edited my response regarding "less wind". I meant that for a single point, the time it will be under damaging winds is going to be less than in a slow moving system. That translates to less damage, even though the max winds are the same.

Also, the wind distribution is asymmetric as you say, but that means the other half of the cyclone will have a larger area of max winds than it would have if it had been moving slower. It kind of compensates.

I think this discussion is missing something.  The aftermaths of hurricane strikes are consistently downplayed by the media. Two or three days pass and all is forgotten.  There is no discussion of water and mold damage, the cost of repairs in more than money ( time lost in arranging repairs if anyone is willing to do them), wages and receipts lost and on and on.  The term disaster is not used in vain.

I have to say... Nate's presentation is degrading rapidly.  The ball of deep convection that has been around since last night has collapsed.  The presentation on New Orleans radar is poor, showing a line of storms pushing north, inland, along what may be an outflow boundary, with a ragged, weak-looking core.

8 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I have to say... Nate's presentation is degrading rapidly.  The ball of deep convection that has been around since last night has collapsed.  The presentation on New Orleans radar is poor, showing a line of storms pushing north, inland, along what may be an outflow boundary, with a ragged, weak-looking core.

I'm not sure if it's ever been more than a 55kt storm plus east side enhancement from the quick forward speed. The diurnal max flare up was little more than that it seems.

58 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I'm not sure if it's ever been more than a 55kt storm plus east side enhancement from the quick forward speed. The diurnal max flare up was little more than that it seems.

Anyone ever see one fall apart this rapidly?  That sure seems to be what we are seeing or is it?

2 hours ago, agrayson12 said:

Well for those searching for other info on hurricane  that DO live in mobile Bay... Work in new Orleans Biloxi and pcola...Yeah we're watching everything that is said on here... Because even if it IS a "garden variety  hyped up nothing"...  It's still my family.. My dogs.. My home... My businesses.... I went through Frederick Katrina Ivan... We all have lost alot here on the gulf coast.. so if the hurricane doesn't concern you ... And it's a hyped up garden variety then why waste your time talking about it at all?

The Gulf coast isn't a choice place to live for those that want to avoid any negative impacts from tropical systems.

2 hours ago, agrayson12 said:

It's meteorological chatter rather than social commentary. Please take it with a grain of salt because it's not intended to be hurtful. I am in north Alabama, and don't post much due to lack of knowledge, but I do care very much about what happens to the people and property in the aftermath of a storm. I hope you and everyone else in the path of Nate stay safe and dry. 

Good to see the storm falling apart, so to speak. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

4 pm maintains 90 mph.

it's probably not 90, but for continuity and warning purposes i get why they'd stick to it. that hot tower may still produce a little baby eyewall action that is strong.

URNT12 KNHC 072114
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL162017
A. 07/20:40:10Z
B. 28 deg 14 min N
089 deg 12 min W
C. 850 mb 1278 m
D. 45 kt
E. 195 deg 20 nm
F. 271 deg 51 kt
G. 195 deg 20 nm
H. 982 mb
I. 19 C / 1527 m
J. 22 C / 1521 m
K. 18 C / NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1345 / 8
O. 0.02 / 3 nm
P. AF309 0916A NATE OB 04
MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 78 KT 039 / 25 NM 20:48:30Z
CNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 015 / 5 KT
SFC CNTR 360 / 2 NM FROM FL CNTR

24 minutes ago, winterymix said:

The Gulf coast isn't a choice place to live for those that want to avoid any negative impacts from tropical systems.

Really?  Guy lays out historical impact and concerns about Nate coming ashore close to his interests, and you have to condescend?  Millions live along the Gulf Coast and deal with these risks every year and accept them as part of life.  Not many people down here get jazzed about anything TS or higher coming into their hood, unlike the OMG bombs away crew from the MA region and north, that don't seem to understand these storms create massive impact and disruption.

The radar is showing about 1/2 of a hurricane. Some offshore oil rigs have winds of 40 kt with some gusts of 43 kt. I think winds will soon pick up to 60kt for the oil rigs. The recon has had 75kt at flight level recently-- maybe 65 kt at surface. Interesting little swirl of rain in the eye.

BKV6M1y.png

15 minutes ago, Chinook said:

The radar is showing about 1/2 of a hurricane. Some offshore oil rigs have winds of 40 kt with some gusts of 43 kt. I think winds will soon pick up to 60kt for the oil rigs. The recon has had 75kt at flight level recently-- maybe 65 kt at surface. Interesting little swirl of rain in the eye.

BKV6M1y.png

that little thing in the center is interesting

This location updates every few minutes....its just in the NW corner of the circulation center, the anemometer is 100 ft off the surface as well....

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pstl1

This oil rig is basically under or in the NE "eyewall" right now and even at 200+ ft off the surface the winds are 50-55 knts...

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=kmis

Archived