SnowHabit
Nate

NavarreDon

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah, this thing is really flying nnw.

Recon now found 89 kts at flight level.  There are several SFMR readings of hurricane force, but they are all flagged.

Normally you would think this 89 kt at flight level would be co-located with 74-79 kt at the surface. So this type of wind speed might be happening soon.

That mid level low that was supposed to be plaguing Nate's circulation through mid day tomorrow already appers to have been largely absorbed. I suspect this is the reason for the recent jump in intensity. Guidance seems lost on this aspect and is still (surprisingly) struggling to resolve the former competing circulations. 

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That mid level low that was suppose to be plaguing Nate's circulation through mid day tomorrow already appers to have been largely absorbed. I suspect this is the reason for the recent jump in intensity. Guidance seems lost on this aspect and is still (surprisingly) struggling to resolve the former competing circulations. 

Intensity forecasts are always a blind-folded swing at a pinada. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Intensity forecasts are always a blind-folded swing at a pinada. 

Yea but short term guidance has been especially poor with him; Nate takes the cake so far this season imo. The nice thing about this forecast-wise is that this is where skill really shows. And I think the NHC has been doing a fantastic job with their forecast of Nate thus far despite these challenges.

6 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea but short term guidance has been especially poor with him; Nate takes the cake so far this season imo. The nice thing about this forecast-wise is that this is where skill really shows. And I think the NHC has been doing a fantastic job with their forecast of Nate thus far despite these challenges.

I do not trust this season, man....demonstrated perhaps an unprecedented proclivity to morph marginal systems into upper end impactors within the blink of an eye-

Just now, PennyForYourThoughts said:

People between Mobile and Pensacola have been expecting 30 or 40 mph winds. This blow up on the east side is very concerning. Nobody this Far East is expecting much, and won't have much time to prepare tomorrow.

That area should have never let their guard down, if they did.

Just now, PennyForYourThoughts said:

People between Mobile and Pensacola have been expecting 30 or 40 mph winds. This blow up on the east side is very concerning. Nobody this Far East is expecting much, and won't have much time to prepare tomorrow.

That area is under a hurricane warning and winds stronger than that have been forecast. I live here and forecast for here. 

35 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is potentially a scary situation for Mobile Bay....don't forget, the normal collapse scenario may not be as applicable because this thing is moving nearly akin to a northeast hurricane...flying.

Not much time to weaken, after a quick peak.

Yeah, this fast forward motion isn't seen with many hurricanes approaching the northern Gulf coast.  I would plan as if there won't be substantial weakening.

It's true that the lowest cloud-top temp here is -88C to -90C (no color bar here though.) Indicates an intense, temporary, burst of convection, lowering the pressure and increasing the winds.  This hurricane year is just nuts. I vote that 2017 be re-named HurricaneYear.

7YDaBL5.jpg

8 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It's true that the lowest cloud-top temp here is -88C to -90C (no color bar here though.) Indicates an intense, temporary, burst of convection, lowering the pressure and increasing the winds.  This hurricane year is just nuts. I vote that 2017 be re-named HurricaneYear.

7YDaBL5.jpg

to my untrained eye from this and the radar it appears that the eye is starting to define itself as well and it is just a matter of time before it emerges

Archived